Who wears a sleep cap? Question

BioAdoptMom
BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
I know this seems kind of silly, but I need some help ordering a sleep cap. I am not a hat person at all, so have no experience whatsoever. I have a choice of the following from the TLC catalog:

1. Cotton and polyester
2. Cotton only

Here are the facts:

1. I live in central FL
2. I do not like to be hot, though we do keep the air low during the summer (around 72) and don't use heat unless it gets to about the low 40's or less in the fall/winter, even then, it's set on about 68.
3. No hot flashes, yet

So, which one would you suggest I order?

Thanks!

Nancy

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Sleep caps
    Hi Nancy,

Once I lost all my hair I realized how cold bald heads can be. I also had no experience with hats. In Northern California (near San Francisco) there is not a huge need for hats. I had more sympathy for my nearly bald husband (lol). A friend who had previously been through chemo and lost all her hair lent me both cotton caps and cotton/polyester blend caps. While the all cotton ones were comfy and breathe better, the ones with a little spandex in them stay on better. Personally I would buy a couple of each type. Just make sure they are washable. IRENE
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I was bald through the
    I was bald through the winter and did wear sleep caps. I liked the ones with a little bit of polyester, but mostly cotton.

I hope this helps.

Linda
  • ldpettit
    ldpettit Member Posts: 128
    Sleep caps
    I've worn them in the night when it was cooler. As it is warming up here in AZ I haven't worn on, though probably should. I just get too hot.

As far as type... I have cotton, polyester, and a blend of the two. I light the lighter materials especially when it is warmer outside. The cotton ones tend to get too warm and since they don't fit as snug do tend to come off outside with a breeze.

I hope that was helpful. If you are able to go to a wig shop they would or should have a variety to check out and try on before you decide.

Good luck!!

Lisa
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    ldpettit said:

Sleep caps
    I've worn them in the night when it was cooler. As it is warming up here in AZ I haven't worn on, though probably should. I just get too hot.

As far as type... I have cotton, polyester, and a blend of the two. I light the lighter materials especially when it is warmer outside. The cotton ones tend to get too warm and since they don't fit as snug do tend to come off outside with a breeze.

I hope that was helpful. If you are able to go to a wig shop they would or should have a variety to check out and try on before you decide.

Good luck!!

Lisa

Wore them..
    At night..it's very hot here in NC in the summer...and I was bald...I couldn't believe how cold I felt with no hair...also how snow white my head was...I told my husband to just use my head as a "nightlight!". I, too, would go try some on at a wig shop to see which suits you best...or just order two of each....and decide your preference...I wore a super soft padded scarve at home during the day...it was awesome! Especially at first...my head became very, very sore for about 3 weeks....I always wore my wig out in public...

Wishing you the best,
    Nancy
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Sleep caps per se, I never
    Sleep caps per se, I never wore. We live where it gets quite cold (Western SD) and I started Chemo Aug 26 (ended Jan 28)so once it started getting really cold I wore a watch cap/stocking cap at night - well most of the time while at home too. I keep our heat set at 68 at night. They were wool - cotton would have been my second choice; synthetic - never. But that's just me.

Susan
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    Rague said:

Sleep caps per se, I never
    Sleep caps per se, I never wore. We live where it gets quite cold (Western SD) and I started Chemo Aug 26 (ended Jan 28)so once it started getting really cold I wore a watch cap/stocking cap at night - well most of the time while at home too. I keep our heat set at 68 at night. They were wool - cotton would have been my second choice; synthetic - never. But that's just me.

Susan

Terry cloth
    Hey Nancy, I ordered a sleep cap from TLC but I sleep in my terry cloth turban. I love it. It's lightweight but stays on my head during the night. I also have a do rag that I wear at times. I love that thing. It's extremely lightweight and allows my scalp to breath, plus I swear I feel like my scalp has been conditioned after I take it off in the morning.

Dawne
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    I live where it's hot, hot,
    I live where it's hot, hot, hot in the summer and equally cold, cold, cold in the winter... and was hairless during the summer and fall. My favorite sleep hat was hand- knitted of the softest material - maybe a cashmere blend. I'm not sure of the kind of yarn because it was a gift from a friend. It was perfect: even in the summer it was never too hot and as the weather turned nippy, it kept me warm.
  • BioAdoptMom
    lynn1950 said:

I live where it's hot, hot,
    I live where it's hot, hot, hot in the summer and equally cold, cold, cold in the winter... and was hairless during the summer and fall. My favorite sleep hat was hand- knitted of the softest material - maybe a cashmere blend. I'm not sure of the kind of yarn because it was a gift from a friend. It was perfect: even in the summer it was never too hot and as the weather turned nippy, it kept me warm.

Thanks my friends!
    Nancy

Thanks my friends!

Nancy
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Nancy
    I bought one (I think a mixed blend) and never wore it even though I live in CT and was going through chemo and rads during the fall and winter. My head was never cold. My sister did wear a hat at night though because she said her head was cold. Living in FL, if you have the air conditioner cranked you may want to. It's an individual decision.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • BioAdoptMom
    cahjah75 said:

Nancy
    I bought one (I think a mixed blend) and never wore it even though I live in CT and was going through chemo and rads during the fall and winter. My head was never cold. My sister did wear a hat at night though because she said her head was cold. Living in FL, if you have the air conditioner cranked you may want to. It's an individual decision.
    {{hugs}} Char

Thank you Char! You always
    Thank you Char! You always share such helpful advice!

Nancy
  • Cinkal
    Cinkal Member Posts: 161
    I wear sleep caps at night.
    I wear sleep caps at night. I get hot sometimes and take it off and then put it on again if I get cold. I ordered mine from CJ Hats online. A lady who went through chemo makes head
    scarves, sleep caps, and hat liners. I use the hat liners as sleep caps as well. Her scarves fit your head well and give good coverage.