Stage 3b lung cancer

deltafun
deltafun Member Posts: 50
Hi, I was just told I have a mass that is 9.3 cm in my uper left lung, and that the cancer is in a few lymph nodes in the same area. The Oncologist told me because the mass is so large and it has moved into the Lymph Nodes I now have stage 3b lung cancer. I was just wondering if there is anyone else that has been diagnosed with a mass this big and how they are doing. I start my Chemo tomorrow and the radaition on Wed. As of right now I feel fine and still work out on the treadmill for 35 min a day but not as hard as I used to because I get winded faster now. I have had a PET scan and it did not show the cancer in other parts of my body yet.

Thanks in advance for any info. I will be happy to give you my e-mail adress if you wish to e-mail me there please feel free to do so.

Comments

• lassie69
    lassie69 Member Posts: 2
    Hi deltafun
    I was

Hi deltafun
    I was diagnosed with NSCLC (squamous) stage 3A, 10cm. upper left lung 6-09.Had Chemo(cisplatin and Etoposide),radiation (25) with once a week Carboplatin,followed by surgery (pneumonectomy) 11-09,and more chemo (cisplatin and etoposide)again. Finished treatment 1-10.
    I am 17 months post treatment with pet/ct scans every 3 months. So far so good. I have been back to walking 5 miles a day since 6 months post-op and in fact traveled overseas 2 months after final
    chemo.I also hd involvement of two lymph nodes on the left side(hilar and sub carinal). I know how fortunate I have been and how blessed I am by family and friends. Be good to yourself and know that there are many folks on this site who are long term survivors.
  • deltafun
    lassie69 said:

Hi deltafun
    I was

Hi deltafun
    I was diagnosed with NSCLC (squamous) stage 3A, 10cm. upper left lung 6-09.Had Chemo(cisplatin and Etoposide),radiation (25) with once a week Carboplatin,followed by surgery (pneumonectomy) 11-09,and more chemo (cisplatin and etoposide)again. Finished treatment 1-10.
    I am 17 months post treatment with pet/ct scans every 3 months. So far so good. I have been back to walking 5 miles a day since 6 months post-op and in fact traveled overseas 2 months after final
    chemo.I also hd involvement of two lymph nodes on the left side(hilar and sub carinal). I know how fortunate I have been and how blessed I am by family and friends. Be good to yourself and know that there are many folks on this site who are long term survivors.

stage 3b lung cancer
    Dear Lassie, thank you so much for your post it did make my day. I think this is the first bit of hope that I have had since I was diagnosed. My Doc did tell me that there might be a chance for surgery if the tumor shrinks enough.

The funny part is so I feel physically I feel fine. I am still walking on the treadmill 35 min a day but have slowed down a bit on it. I have walked every day on the treadmill for 24 years so I guess that's why I can still walk without a problem.

I know every one is different but I do really think you for the hope of light.

Frank
  • Dapsterd
    Dapsterd Member Posts: 291
    3B dx changed to 3A--makes not much diff now.
    Hello....

June 1st will be my 1-yr from dx. I have same situation as you note, yet the right lung and middle lymphs. I do not see me going away too soon!

My tumor is now egg size from orange size and lymph involvement is now gone.

I am told they cant remove the tumor because the main artery to the right lung is interfering, so they will have to take the whole lung...not a super big deal, but my left lung can not support me as a result of pulmonary tests. But I am going to prove them wrong !!

I have a ct next week and a new pulm test in two weeks.

We will see !!

Best wishes
  • beatlemike
    beatlemike Member Posts: 55 Member
    Dapsterd said:

Hello....

June 1st will be my 1-yr from dx. I have same situation as you note, yet the right lung and middle lymphs. I do not see me going away too soon!

I am told they cant remove the tumor because the main artery to the right lung is interfering, so they will have to take the whole lung...not a super big deal, but my left lung can not support me as a result of pulmonary tests. But I am going to prove them wrong !!

We will see !!

Best wishes

Softball size
    Hello and welcome,I was diagnosed 2b in 2005 with a 10.5 cm tumor in my right lung. After they removed my lung I was told it had affected 3 lymph nodes. I have had clear scans so far. I pray the chemo works well for you and you are able to have the surgery. Keep us up todate.
  • sissylu1
    sissylu1 Member Posts: 66 Member

Softball size
    Hello and welcome,I was diagnosed 2b in 2005 with a 10.5 cm tumor in my right lung. After they removed my lung I was told it had affected 3 lymph nodes. I have had clear scans so far. I pray the chemo works well for you and you are able to have the surgery. Keep us up todate.

thank you
    I really love to see posts like yours because it continues to give me hope and reduce some of my anxiety level to see that you are 6 years post surgery and seem to be going strong.
    I had my right middle lobe removed in Dec 2010 and still wonder and worry about when it will return even though they feel like they got it all and no follow up treatment required..I volunteered to be followed up by an oncologist and participate in clinical trials when I am eligable (they say I have to be clear for 6 months and that won't happen till June..so thanks again to all of you who continue to post and give the rest of us hope and encouragement!
  • sissylu1
    sissylu1 Member Posts: 66 Member
    Dapsterd said:

Hello....

We will see !!

Best wishes

hope
    That is wondeful news that your tumor has shrunk..I will continue to pray that you become a candidate for surgery..good luck on your tests and let us know how they turn out.
  • deltafun
    sissylu1 said:

thank you
    I really love to see posts like yours because it continues to give me hope and reduce some of my anxiety level to see that you are 6 years post surgery and seem to be going strong.
    I had my right middle lobe removed in Dec 2010 and still wonder and worry about when it will return even though they feel like they got it all and no follow up treatment required..I volunteered to be followed up by an oncologist and participate in clinical trials when I am eligable (they say I have to be clear for 6 months and that won't happen till June..so thanks again to all of you who continue to post and give the rest of us hope and encouragement!

Stag 3b lung cancer
    Hi, sissylu1 I agree seeing posts like this gives me hope and also reduces my anxiety level a little. I had my first chemo on Monday 4/25/11 and start my radiation treatments this morning.

Thanks all for posting some positive info on stage 3b lung cancer it really helps alot.
  • deltafun
    lassie69 said:

Hi deltafun
    I was

Hi deltafun

10cm tumor
    Hi Lassie, My Doctor told me this morning that I will start feeling a lot of pain once the tumor starts to shrink. Did you experience a lot of pain when yout tumor starte to shrink?
  • lassie69
    lassie69 Member Posts: 2
    deltafun said:

10cm tumor
    Hi Lassie, My Doctor told me this morning that I will start feeling a lot of pain once the tumor starts to shrink. Did you experience a lot of pain when yout tumor starte to shrink?

Hi deltafun,
    I had no

Hi deltafun,
    I had no pain either with chemo or radiation. Radiation oncologist told me I might feel fatigued and the best thing for that was exercise! I did have spasms around the rib cage after surgery and was given valium which really helped. I did not have any scans during chemo or radiation. It wasn't until I was finished with both that I had a pet/ct and was told I would be a candidate for surgery. Please let me know how you are doing. I hope your journey is as smooth as mine was.
  • deltafun
    lassie69 said:

Hi deltafun,
    I had no

Hi deltafun,
    I had no pain either with chemo or radiation. Radiation oncologist told me I might feel fatigued and the best thing for that was exercise! I did have spasms around the rib cage after surgery and was given valium which really helped. I did not have any scans during chemo or radiation. It wasn't until I was finished with both that I had a pet/ct and was told I would be a candidate for surgery. Please let me know how you are doing. I hope your journey is as smooth as mine was.

Stage 3b lung cancer.
    Lassie, thanks again for getting back to me rgarding the pain. I really enjoy your responses and hope mind goes as smooth as yours as well. I have only has one chemo and two radiation treatments but no side effects so far.

I will keep you posted and thansk so much again for responding to me it does give me hope.

Frank
  • Dapsterd
    sissylu1 said:

hope
    That is wondeful news that your tumor has shrunk..I will continue to pray that you become a candidate for surgery..good luck on your tests and let us know how they turn out.

Thanx
    Thanx All!

Please keep us posted on the chemo and rads....

All is ok in life, really.

Dave
  • Dapsterd

Softball size

Beatle
    BeatleMike....are you now getting chemo or rads or both for the Lymphs?

Dave
  • grannylove
    grannylove Member Posts: 183
    Dapsterd said:

Hello....

We will see !!

Best wishes

Dapsterd
    Good luck on your CT and pulm tests! There's nothing better than to prove the medical community wrong!!! Do you do lung exercises to increase your function? Praying and rooting for ya:)
  • lekkerone
    lekkerone Member Posts: 199 Member
    Dapsterd said:

Hello....

We will see !!

Best wishes

Pulmonary test
    Go for it on that stress test. I also had to take two stress tests to prove my right lung and 2/2 of my left lung could support me. Practise lots on the treadmill and make sure you can do a pretty good incline.
  • Dapsterd

Dapsterd
    Good luck on your CT and pulm tests! There's nothing better than to prove the medical community wrong!!! Do you do lung exercises to increase your function? Praying and rooting for ya:)

Oh Yeah
    I have never been a person who excersises regularily, but during Pulminary Rehab, I am on the tread mill, bike, rower, and hand weights. My capacity is much better than when I took the previous test., We will see !!

Thanx

Dave