question about nausea after first chemo treatment

jewels5
jewels5 Member Posts: 57
Hi everyone (me again) :)

My treatment went well yesterday. All day today I have been experiencing nausea when my stomach gets close to empty. In addition to the steroid they gave me for anti nausea, I was also given 3 options for anti-nausea. I'm just not sure if I should take them, or if they are meant to be for severe nausea (which is indicated on the prescription label). If you experienced this was it helpful to you to take it anyway to *prevent* further nausea? I have been told that staying on top of anti-nausea medication is best, just not sure if I'm taking it unnecessarily. My nurse told me that patients who had experienced nausea during pregnancy (me) usually had a harder time with it during chemo treatments.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Julie

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Hi, I'm glad to hear your
    Hi,

I'm glad to hear your treatment went well yesterday.

For the nausea, my doc said to take the zofran for the first three days after treatment (3x a day) even if I didn't have symptoms. I was also told I could add compazine (orally or suppository) if needed. On top of that, I had Ativan on hand too. So I would say if your doc has approved it, go ahead and take it. I think there is no point in being uncomfortable if you can avoid it. I had a little mild nausea here and there, and only threw up once in the car (when I was pushing myself to do too much).

The zofran made me constipated, so I took an OTC stool softener for that. Again, my doc said just take them...no reason to wait till it's really bad. (In fact, they scared me with stories of dis-impaction in the ER.) Once I stopped the zofran, I usually had the big D and switched to immodium.

And since you've noticed the nausea when your stomach is almost empty, eat small amounts frequently throughout the day. Don't let your stomach get to the point where it is almost empty, keep something in it all the time. Bland foods worked for me, plain noodles, plain rice, instant mashed potatoes, microwave baked potatoes, etc. My doc also advised carnation instant breakfast, and I liked the stone fruits too.

I hope this helps...good luck!

Hugs,

Linda
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

Hi, I'm glad to hear your
    Hi,

I'm glad to hear your treatment went well yesterday.

For the nausea, my doc said to take the zofran for the first three days after treatment (3x a day) even if I didn't have symptoms. I was also told I could add compazine (orally or suppository) if needed. On top of that, I had Ativan on hand too. So I would say if your doc has approved it, go ahead and take it. I think there is no point in being uncomfortable if you can avoid it. I had a little mild nausea here and there, and only threw up once in the car (when I was pushing myself to do too much).

The zofran made me constipated, so I took an OTC stool softener for that. Again, my doc said just take them...no reason to wait till it's really bad. (In fact, they scared me with stories of dis-impaction in the ER.) Once I stopped the zofran, I usually had the big D and switched to immodium.

And since you've noticed the nausea when your stomach is almost empty, eat small amounts frequently throughout the day. Don't let your stomach get to the point where it is almost empty, keep something in it all the time. Bland foods worked for me, plain noodles, plain rice, instant mashed potatoes, microwave baked potatoes, etc. My doc also advised carnation instant breakfast, and I liked the stone fruits too.

I hope this helps...good luck!

Hugs,

Linda

Great advice given by Linda
    I was told over and over to take the anti nausea meds regardless if I felt nauseated or not...I took them religiously...Never had the first wave of Nausea...I was also asked before my first infusion if I had morning sickness during pregnancy...oh boy did I! With my first, I threw up, not just nauseated, the entire 9 months...I thought I was doomed then...but again, I never missed a dose of the anti nausea meds...It's far easier to prevent it than get it under control once it starts....I ate all the time....keep something in your stomach...graze, even if you don't feel hungry...
    Hoping you feel better tomorrow...
    Hugs, Nancy
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    MAJW said:

Great advice given by Linda
    I was told over and over to take the anti nausea meds regardless if I felt nauseated or not...I took them religiously...Never had the first wave of Nausea...I was also asked before my first infusion if I had morning sickness during pregnancy...oh boy did I! With my first, I threw up, not just nauseated, the entire 9 months...I thought I was doomed then...but again, I never missed a dose of the anti nausea meds...It's far easier to prevent it than get it under control once it starts....I ate all the time....keep something in your stomach...graze, even if you don't feel hungry...
    Hoping you feel better tomorrow...
    Hugs, Nancy

I had a lot of nausea during
    I had a lot of nausea during chemo and not much morning sickness. It seems like the issue has been covered. I did find that eating a cracker before getting up helped. I also experienced severe constipation with zofran but was not told until I had major issues. So take a stool softener. I am not one to take meds and have learned through this experience to "take the meds" when you need them.
  • BioAdoptMom
    BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
    If you are feeling nausea at
    If you are feeling nausea at all I would think you should go ahead and take it. I would continue to take it regularly tomorrow as well. Glad it went well! I start on Friday.

Nancy
  • bpatti
    bpatti Member Posts: 5
    Julie,
    I have found that

Julie,
    I have found that compazine works for me. My oncologist told me to take it before I go to bed so I dont have the nausea feeling in the morning. Keeping my stomach full is working for me. After day 3 the feeling goes away.
    Patti
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    This helped me..
    First of all, congrats for going through your first treatment.

Here's what has helped me (and other people I've spoken to about the subject). The day of your treatment, do not eat normal meals like you would usually do. You may have to cut down by eating small portions every 2-3 hrs. For example, you eat one apple in the morning. Three hrs later, you can have a cup of oatmeal. For lunch you can have a small piece of fish (small) and a piece of veggie. Two hrs. later you can have nuts and raisins with cranberries...these are just examples of eating in small portions, while keeping the good nutrition. You should do that for 4-5 days starting the day of treatment.

Also, what I find help me so much is Ativan. When you start feeling a little different, have one full pill of ativan (has your Dr. prescribed it to you?). This too helps with the nausea and anxiety, a lot. And it won't make you constipated.

If you decide to take the antinausea, I am warning you - constipation! I experienced a very bad constipation, for one week I couldn't go. Ugh. So, do not wait. If you don't have bowel movement for one day, take stool softeners, drink prune juice, metamucil, no carbo, only fiber, and drink A LOT of water (8-10 glasses). If you can't go still, second day, call your dr. and tell them. You may need laxatives. Please take it from me. I waited days and I was giving birth (technically) a week later, in so much pain. So whenver you feel any side effect, call Dr.

Ok, I hope this helps you. Keep us updated please.

Blessings for you.
  • sunshine0406
    sunshine0406 Member Posts: 65
    My dr told me not to wait
    HI glad it went well. I too would say ...take it. I will warn you I took compazine (sp) and it made me so jittery I could not sit still (it took me awhile to figure out it was the meds) I also had ativan that was great for my mild nausea days. I took another med that I took for the three days right after chemo, it really helped. my dr. told me not to wait until it got bad to take the meds. I hope you are doing better today.
  • jewels5

My dr told me not to wait
    HI glad it went well. I too would say ...take it. I will warn you I took compazine (sp) and it made me so jittery I could not sit still (it took me awhile to figure out it was the meds) I also had ativan that was great for my mild nausea days. I took another med that I took for the three days right after chemo, it really helped. my dr. told me not to wait until it got bad to take the meds. I hope you are doing better today.

thank you everyone
    Thanks everyone for your comments; they are all helpful. I have kept up with the Compazine, but like you, sunshine0406, it is making me jittery and I probably wouldn't have known that's what it was if not for your comment. The nausea is worse if I don't eat in small meals so I'm keeping up with that as best as possible. The drowsiness really kicks in from them but I guess that's better than nausea! Thanks again. The information from all of you on here is invaluable and I can't thank you enough!

Julie

P.S. If someone happens to read this and can help me figure out how to get email notifications I would greatly appreciate it. I thought I signed up for them but for some reason do not receive them. Thanks. :)
  • jewels5
    jewels5 said:

thank you everyone
    Thanks everyone for your comments; they are all helpful. I have kept up with the Compazine, but like you, sunshine0406, it is making me jittery and I probably wouldn't have known that's what it was if not for your comment. The nausea is worse if I don't eat in small meals so I'm keeping up with that as best as possible. The drowsiness really kicks in from them but I guess that's better than nausea! Thanks again. The information from all of you on here is invaluable and I can't thank you enough!

Julie

P.S. If someone happens to read this and can help me figure out how to get email notifications I would greatly appreciate it. I thought I signed up for them but for some reason do not receive them. Thanks. :)

thanks for the warning
    LoveBabyJesus, thanks for the warning on the constipation. My doctor did prescribe Miralax. She also prescribed Ativan but so far I've only tried the Compazine. I don't like playing around with meds but if I need to I will switch/add that one. Thanks again!

Julie
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    jewels5 said:

thanks for the warning
    LoveBabyJesus, thanks for the warning on the constipation. My doctor did prescribe Miralax. She also prescribed Ativan but so far I've only tried the Compazine. I don't like playing around with meds but if I need to I will switch/add that one. Thanks again!

Julie

EMEND .... is another wonderful drug ...
    Take care .. and sample every darn ... drug out there, until you and your Oncologist find the right combo for YOU.

Strength, Courage and Prayers ...

Vicki Sam
  • LVG
    LVG Member Posts: 128
    I Agree.. EMEND!
    Hi, glad your treatment went well. Very sorry about your nausea.
    I have to say, I never experienced it with chemo. However, I remained nauseated throughout my entire pregnancy - almost.

Before chemo, I came here for support and was told to drink, drink, drink - days before treatment and afterwards. I was also told to take the Compazine & Ativan and Emend as prescribed by my oncologist. They gave me a three of four day schedule for taking these pills at 9am and 8:30pm (I think). I took them religiously during A/C treatments and never got sick. Was told I probably wouldn't need it for Taxol and wasn't prescribed that expensive Emend during Taxol tx; so, I didn't take the others and had no problems.

I am hoping that the nausea meds will help you. But I am reminded that they always tell you to call the 24 hour number if needed. My doctor/nurse reminded me over & over again that I must call them if I felt I was going to throw-up. That was a no-no.

I am wishing you well.
  • Grandma X 6
    Grandma X 6 Member Posts: 135
    LVG said:

I Agree.. EMEND!
    Hi, glad your treatment went well. Very sorry about your nausea.
    I have to say, I never experienced it with chemo. However, I remained nauseated throughout my entire pregnancy - almost.

Before chemo, I came here for support and was told to drink, drink, drink - days before treatment and afterwards. I was also told to take the Compazine & Ativan and Emend as prescribed by my oncologist. They gave me a three of four day schedule for taking these pills at 9am and 8:30pm (I think). I took them religiously during A/C treatments and never got sick. Was told I probably wouldn't need it for Taxol and wasn't prescribed that expensive Emend during Taxol tx; so, I didn't take the others and had no problems.

I am hoping that the nausea meds will help you. But I am reminded that they always tell you to call the 24 hour number if needed. My doctor/nurse reminded me over & over again that I must call them if I felt I was going to throw-up. That was a no-no.

I am wishing you well.

Emend and Aloxi
    I was given in my IV the day of chemo, I was never nausea. I also had compazine but never even opened the bottle did not need it. Talk to your Doctor. I know we are different in our reactions. I also had morning sickness with all 3 of my Pregnancy's. I was on Taxatol and carboplatin also herceptin. Good Luck feel better.
    Cindy
  • BioAdoptMom
    BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
    I had my first chemo today
    I had my first chemo today and asked the chemo nurse. I also had the anti-nausea meds and steriods, but she told me to absolutely take a pill tonight before I go bed and to take it every six hours faithfully until at least Sunday night. So, yes, I would stay on top of it.

Nancy
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    bpatti said:

Julie,
    I have found that

Julie,
    I have found that compazine works for me. My oncologist told me to take it before I go to bed so I dont have the nausea feeling in the morning. Keeping my stomach full is working for me. After day 3 the feeling goes away.
    Patti

Hoping you can find
    Hoping you can find something to help you with the nausea.

Hugs, Lex