VA Benefits

Dario
Dario Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
You can check out my other postings to see my history and back ground. I filed for VA benefits May 28th and received my first lump sum check last week ,rectro active from May 28 2004 to Oct 2004 at 100% than Nov 1st it gets dropped to 50% because I am free of Cancer ,PSA reading "0" for the last two test. I was told that if PSA comes back I will be back to 100%. I think that that was a pretty fast process, I even had a VA physical too, all within 5 months. I went through the DVA and put them down as my representive, maybe that is why it went through so fast!
Dario

Comments

• kaiepooh
    kaiepooh Member Posts: 52
    Wow that is great. please let me know what it is you did and needed. my husband is a nam vet with prostate cancer we tried and got the run around. he was 50 when diagnosed. my e-mail is kaiepooh2@hotmail.com just put from csn chat room. so i know it is you. would appreicate any info. and again it's great you are ca free. good for you.
    karen
  • tpelle
    tpelle Member Posts: 184
    Dario, my brother is 87. First discovered prostate cancer about 15 years ago, had external radiation, for the past several years has been on Lupron. During the past several months his psa jumped from under 4.0 to 7.0 now over 14.0 and he is now on Cassodex. He is a WWII vet. Would he qualify for VA benefits? VA now pays for his Cassodex. tpelle
  • Dario
    Dario Member Posts: 8
    tpelle said:

Dario, my brother is 87. First discovered prostate cancer about 15 years ago, had external radiation, for the past several years has been on Lupron. During the past several months his psa jumped from under 4.0 to 7.0 now over 14.0 and he is now on Cassodex. He is a WWII vet. Would he qualify for VA benefits? VA now pays for his Cassodex. tpelle

tpelle, I'm not sure , but I would contact the VA and see what they say. I was exposed to Agent Orange during my Tour. It can't hurt to check it out. Good luck
  • bajakid
    bajakid Member Posts: 38
    V.A Benefits
    Hi Dario. I was in Vietnam 71 through 72 and was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in July of 03 and had the surgery in 04. A friend told me to apply for benefits so in September of 2010 I applied and had a V.A doctor ck. me out April 12th. What do you think I will be getting? My PSA is good but still have incontinence. Also I heard if you get less then 50 percent they will take the same amount out of your military retirement check. Thanks
  • BRONX52
    BRONX52 Member Posts: 156
    bajakid said:

V.A Benefits
    Hi Dario. I was in Vietnam 71 through 72 and was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in July of 03 and had the surgery in 04. A friend told me to apply for benefits so in September of 2010 I applied and had a V.A doctor ck. me out April 12th. What do you think I will be getting? My PSA is good but still have incontinence. Also I heard if you get less then 50 percent they will take the same amount out of your military retirement check. Thanks

I also am a Vietnam vet who
    I also am a Vietnam vet who applied for and was granted benefits due to agent orange exposure. However the 100% disability doesn't last forever. They'll rate you at 100% for six months following a major treatment ie: surgery, radiation, etc. After this you'll be scheduled for a compensation physical which will determine whether your 100% rating will be reduced or stay the same. If your psa is at a level they consider undetectable your benefit will be reduced. How much they reduce it is determined by so called residuals, urinary frequency, wearing of pads etc. They have the actual breakdown and percentages in the " cfr-38. (title 38 of the code of federal regulations). It seems that PSA is the one factor that they use to determine continued benefits. When I questioned the VA about this they told me that if your psa is less than what they consider "recurrence" they reduce your benefits. They won't pay 100% if there is no "active" cancer as indicated by your current psa reading. Hope this helps.
  • bajakid
    BRONX52 said:

I also am a Vietnam vet who applied for and was granted benefits due to agent orange exposure. However the 100% disability doesn't last forever. They'll rate you at 100% for six months following a major treatment ie: surgery, radiation, etc. After this you'll be scheduled for a compensation physical which will determine whether your 100% rating will be reduced or stay the same. If your psa is at a level they consider undetectable your benefit will be reduced. How much they reduce it is determined by so called residuals, urinary frequency, wearing of pads etc. They have the actual breakdown and percentages in the " cfr-38. (title 38 of the code of federal regulations). It seems that PSA is the one factor that they use to determine continued benefits. When I questioned the VA about this they told me that if your psa is less than what they consider "recurrence" they reduce your benefits. They won't pay 100% if there is no "active" cancer as indicated by your current psa reading. Hope this helps.

Hi Bronx52. I had my surgery
    Hi Bronx52. I had my surgery in 2004 and applied for benefits in Sept 2010. Will I still get 6 Months at 100 percent after waiting such a long period? Also will it be taken out of my retirement? I have read a lot of Blogs but can;t seem to find one that pertains to my perticular situation.Thanks Ron
  • bajakid
    BRONX52 said:

Hi again I also read that if
    Hi again I also read that if there is a chance your Cancer will return within 15 years of when you were diagnosed your percent would stay high.
  • BRONX52
    BRONX52 Member Posts: 156
    bajakid said:

Hi again I also read that if
    Hi again I also read that if there is a chance your Cancer will return within 15 years of when you were diagnosed your percent would stay high.

bajakid
    I don't know what and how it affects your retirement but I am sure a call to your regional va office can answer that question. I do know that if you have a recurrence, all you have to do is notify the va and provide the necessary documents which will verify your recurrence and treatment plan. This will put you back at the 100% disability level provided that you already have an approved claim on file. As to your question about the government paying you for claiming a 2004 surgery: I would think they would have to because of residuals (incontinence) but dealing with the government is sometimes a crapshoot at best. Remember, one thing they really stress is that you had "boots on the ground" in Vietnam. In other words you have to show proof that you actually were there (in country). If you were in the Navy you need to show inland waterway activity (brown water). If not you will just be going back and forth with the va trying to get your claim approved. Good luck !!