Liver mets

I have recently found out thru cat and pet scans and biopsy that I have mets to the liver. My onc presented to University of Chicago tumor board and it looks like I am a candidate for surgery, will be in touch with the surgeon this week. Not happy about surgery, but sir spheres seems scarier to me. I was dx 12/08, right ascending colon, 3/30 nodes and 1 positive connection..7 folfox and ended up in hospital for 10 days, so onc doesn't want to do chemo before surgery as it might weaken me too much. I pm'd a couple people about surgery and other alternatives, but surgery seems most sensible for now. SCARED but I know lots have done it, onc said the surgery is rough, but doable, any comments would be appreciated. I should be happy it is viable for surgery, but still scared......keep me in your thoughts,,Pat

Comments

• pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Think some times is a privilege not every body can afore!
    Got my surgery of 80% liver off quite risky and not major problems, it was 1 1/2 years ago!.Without that I wouldn't be here!
    Go ahead no doubt! not afraid !
    Hugs Pat .
  • jjaj133
    jjaj133 Member Posts: 867 Member
    Hi Pat,
    I had Surgery in 09,

Hi Pat,
    I had Surgery in 09, they removed 1/3 of my liver. Today I am facing it again. Nothing about it is pleasant of course. However, even though I now know what I am facing I don't feel any fear. Just really annoyed that I have to go through this again!!! And my family too.
    Also the pain meds work really well. I keep in mind that this is my best chance. Feel free to pm me if you think of any questions i will do my best to help.
    Prayers coming your way/
    Judy
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Pat
    I had my surgery for liver, colon and ureter resection all at once. I was housecleaning in 3 weeks going to college full time in 6 weeks. Nothing to it hon. I was off pain pills the week I came home (spent one week in hospital). No surgery is a walk in the park, but I was scared, and believe me, my fear was way greater then the pain or the surgery. No worse then a c-section for me. (had three c-sections in my life). So, I'll cyber hold you hand the night before and I won't let go until after your surgery. I'm sure there are a few others that will do the same. We'll be there for you, hopefully easing a bit of the fear of surgery for you. And yes, I understand completely, the "scared" part, that indeed was me in December.
    It'll be fine, cutting it out is the best way to go, then it's gone!!
    Winter Marie
  • Pat
    I had my surgery for liver, colon and ureter resection all at once. I was housecleaning in 3 weeks going to college full time in 6 weeks. Nothing to it hon. I was off pain pills the week I came home (spent one week in hospital). No surgery is a walk in the park, but I was scared, and believe me, my fear was way greater then the pain or the surgery. No worse then a c-section for me. (had three c-sections in my life). So, I'll cyber hold you hand the night before and I won't let go until after your surgery. I'm sure there are a few others that will do the same. We'll be there for you, hopefully easing a bit of the fear of surgery for you. And yes, I understand completely, the "scared" part, that indeed was me in December.
    It'll be fine, cutting it out is the best way to go, then it's gone!!
    Winter Marie

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • WinneyPooh
    WinneyPooh Member Posts: 318
    unknown said:

Surgery Feb 7, 2011
    Liver surgery worried me also but it is the best thing to do to be cancer free. I am recovering fine but digestion will be a problem so it is best to start eating right now, cut fats down to almost none, ( you need a little so don't cut them out all the way) plenty of fruit and vegetables, plenty of yogurt,

You will do well, good luck
    Penny
  • Lifeisajourney
    Lifeisajourney Member Posts: 216

Surgery Feb 7, 2011
    Liver surgery worried me also but it is the best thing to do to be cancer free. I am recovering fine but digestion will be a problem so it is best to start eating right now, cut fats down to almost none, ( you need a little so don't cut them out all the way) plenty of fruit and vegetables, plenty of yogurt,

You will do well, good luck
    Penny

Thanks for all your comments.
    I know it is the best solution and lucky they can do it. We are going thru the process now, seeing Dr. 5/3, my onc is on staff at the University and the Surgeon is good per my research. Just simply terrified. I have plenty on weight on me and can afford to lose some,already have lost my appetite and I have diviticulicis, so I have to watch what I eat. Will be an interesting experience, will keep all informed. I know lots have gone thru it. Thanks, Pat
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member

Thanks for all your comments.
    I know it is the best solution and lucky they can do it. We are going thru the process now, seeing Dr. 5/3, my onc is on staff at the University and the Surgeon is good per my research. Just simply terrified. I have plenty on weight on me and can afford to lose some,already have lost my appetite and I have diviticulicis, so I have to watch what I eat. Will be an interesting experience, will keep all informed. I know lots have gone thru it. Thanks, Pat

Ok pat best wishes and please keep us informed punctually !
    Love you!
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    unknown said:

don't graci....it would serve no purpose...
    other than to make you sad if you find something out, and I know what your thinking, please let it go and be satisfied that you went above and beyond for the boy...love ya, buzz

Pat,
    You heard all the best stories you could hear right there. All the surgeries and recoup times. Be fearless when you fight this, absolutely fearless...love to you...buzz
  • Lifeisajourney
    Buzzard said:

don't graci....it would serve no purpose...
    other than to make you sad if you find something out, and I know what your thinking, please let it go and be satisfied that you went above and beyond for the boy...love ya, buzz

Pat,
    You heard all the best stories you could hear right there. All the surgeries and recoup times. Be fearless when you fight this, absolutely fearless...love to you...buzz

You guys are the best
    even when you are going thru your own ----........I have to get my ---- together and beat this......for my family, me and you guys.....taking deep breaths and acting like a big girl,thanks Buzz, fearless sounds good......Pat
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member

You guys are the best
    even when you are going thru your own ----........I have to get my ---- together and beat this......for my family, me and you guys.....taking deep breaths and acting like a big girl,thanks Buzz, fearless sounds good......Pat

Hello Pat
    hello there Pat....don't you go freaking out there hon....this surgery is totally doable.....when you are ready we will make a do to list.....

we are here and ready to help....easy peasy paperboy

not kidding....we can do this

mags
  • luvmum
    luvmum Member Posts: 457 Member
    I was scared too
    Hi Pat,

I was scared to death before my mum's liver resection last month. We both were so scared that we didn't want to talk about it. I remember we played card games every day to kill time and to occupy our thoughts. It turned out not as scary as we both thought. My mum left the hospital the 5th day after surgery and she walked to toilet by herself 3 days after surgery.

I know it's hard to not to worry and be scared, but like the other said, it's doable and bearable.
    Best wishes!
    Dora
  • Lifeisajourney
    luvmum said:

I was scared too
    Hi Pat,

I was scared to death before my mum's liver resection last month. We both were so scared that we didn't want to talk about it. I remember we played card games every day to kill time and to occupy our thoughts. It turned out not as scary as we both thought. My mum left the hospital the 5th day after surgery and she walked to toilet by herself 3 days after surgery.

I know it's hard to not to worry and be scared, but like the other said, it's doable and bearable.
    Best wishes!
    Dora

Thanks all
    for your comments......I see the Dr. 5/3 and hopefully it will be for sure, I know I am lucky if they can do surgery, but didn't know I was such a chicken....my husband decided to retire 5/1 so he can be there for me......we are blessed when we have a support system...I'll update when I know particulars....thanks again for your support. Pat
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    unknown said:

your an angel
    i am sorry that young man was so ill, but he was lucky to have you.
    hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    just goodluck pat
    my liver is still clear, but i just want to wish you all the best.
    i gather the surgery is incredibly complex.
    hugs,
    pete