I think I'm going crazy.

okay, quick update because I don't post often (although I do read your posts often and pray for you all every day). I was diagnosed last June with stage 1 invasive ductile (something). I had a lumpectomy, 4 rounds of chemo and 35 rounds of radiation ending January 7. Today, I found a pea-sized lump in the same breast. I am going to call my onc tomorrow morning to have it checked out, but is this even possible? So soon? I thought the chemo and radiation would surely kill the beast - especially in that breast. I know this is probably just scar tissue, right? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm torn between telling myself to ignore it becaused this is nothing, and wanting to camp out at the onc's doorstep tomorrow morning so I can be seen ASAP. I just can't imagine having to go through this again so soon. Help me, dear sisters. I'm scared.

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I know this is easier said
    I know this is easier said than done, but don't panic yet. My brother had a few pea sized lumps in his neck after surgery for thyroid cancer. We were all panicked. It turned out that the lumps were absorbable sutures that, instead of dissolving, had been encapsulated by his immune system. Try not to jump the gun. You will be in my prayers. Please let us know what you find out.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I know this is easier said than done, but don't panic yet. My brother had a few pea sized lumps in his neck after surgery for thyroid cancer. We were all panicked. It turned out that the lumps were absorbable sutures that, instead of dissolving, had been encapsulated by his immune system. Try not to jump the gun. You will be in my prayers. Please let us know what you find out.

CC always knows what to say,
    CC always knows what to say, sounds like a good thing to keep in mind. Hugs
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    carkris said:

CC always knows what to say,
    CC always knows what to say, sounds like a good thing to keep in mind. Hugs

If it helps...
    I, too, have lumps in my lumpectomy boob..same bc...invasive ductal, triple negative...have you been checking the breast regularly? Is this something new? My surgeon tried to show me what is scar tissue, not sure I could distinguish. "new " one....hard not to panic, I know and understand....just get it checked....

Wishing you better days....
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    MAJW said:

If it helps...
    I, too, have lumps in my lumpectomy boob..same bc...invasive ductal, triple negative...have you been checking the breast regularly? Is this something new? My surgeon tried to show me what is scar tissue, not sure I could distinguish. "new " one....hard not to panic, I know and understand....just get it checked....

Wishing you better days....

It's difficult not to panic .. so with that being said ..
    I will keep you in good thoughts, and prayers. Please keep us posted!

Strength, Courage, and Peace of mind,

Vicki Sam
  • QuiltingMama123
    QuiltingMama123 Member Posts: 124

Thank you!
    Thank you for helping me keep in my skin last night! My dh is wonderful, but he doesn't get the panic - or doesn't know how to help with it. Anyway, saw my onc. this morning. After an exam and an ultra-sound, my mystery lump is an "involved lymph node" that is reacting to the radiation. Nothing to worry about. Will repeat the ultra-sound in June to double-check. I wonder when I will start to trust my body again. Thanks again!
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

Thank you!
    Thank you for helping me keep in my skin last night! My dh is wonderful, but he doesn't get the panic - or doesn't know how to help with it. Anyway, saw my onc. this morning. After an exam and an ultra-sound, my mystery lump is an "involved lymph node" that is reacting to the radiation. Nothing to worry about. Will repeat the ultra-sound in June to double-check. I wonder when I will start to trust my body again. Thanks again!

Whew!
    Happy to hear it was a lymph node reacting to radiation rather than the scarey thing we all fear. A few months ago, at about the same time after treatment as you, I found a lump in my arm (upper arm). I went to my primary care doc who initially was very worried because the reason for an appointment said "lump under arm". And it was, but it wasn't THAT under arm. Anyway, one of the things she said was "it's too soon, anyway". I have no idea what that meant - because she did order an ultrasound just in case. My lump is a lipoma, but the report does say "other possibilities cannot be excluded".

Rest assured, you're not crazy. We will all worry about any lump we find - anywhere.

Suzanne
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868

Thank you!

Happy to hear the good news
    It is not a matter of trusting your body for the rest of your life. It is a matter of being acutely aware of your body for the rest of your life. If something is not right or you are not sure, do not hesitate and always get it checked out. It will be your peace of mind, worth its weight in gold. Also glad to hear that it will be double checked in a short time....June.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member

Happy to hear the good news
    It is not a matter of trusting your body for the rest of your life. It is a matter of being acutely aware of your body for the rest of your life. If something is not right or you are not sure, do not hesitate and always get it checked out. It will be your peace of mind, worth its weight in gold. Also glad to hear that it will be double checked in a short time....June.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle

Glad to hear
    it was good news. Always better to be safe than sorry! I guess we'll all be jumpy forever.

Sending hugs and prayers that you can relax for a while now.

Love your picture by the way!
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    skipper54 said:

Glad to hear
    it was good news. Always better to be safe than sorry! I guess we'll all be jumpy forever.

Sending hugs and prayers that you can relax for a while now.

Love your picture by the way!

What a relief!
    Once we've been through bc, finding a lump is definitely going to cause panic.

Roseann