remission

jejohn
jejohn Member Posts: 48
Just wondering if anyone out there is in remission or know of someone who is. Love to hear success stories!

Comments

• Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    I'm 18 months post treatment for SCC Supraglottic Laryngeal cancer and NSCLC Adenocarcinoma in left lung. Received chemo (cisplatin) and rads only as both cancers were inoperable.

I'm still here and still fighting!!!

My best to you,
    Glenna
  • jejohn
    Glenna M said:

I'm 18 months post treatment for SCC Supraglottic Laryngeal cancer and NSCLC Adenocarcinoma in left lung. Received chemo (cisplatin) and rads only as both cancers were inoperable.

I'm still here and still fighting!!!

My best to you,
    Glenna

Sounds great! Keep up the
    Sounds great! Keep up the fight! Did it spread to any other places?
  • Glenna M
    jejohn said:

Sounds great! Keep up the
    Sounds great! Keep up the fight! Did it spread to any other places?

No spread...
    Neither cancer has spread, my last CT scan in February showed a new lesion in my lung but the doctor said it looks different than the tumor I had with the NSCLC. Waiting for another scan in May to see if there are any changes in the size of the tumor. Still hoping it turns out to be nothing, I keep telling myself that just because they found something it doesn't mean it's cancer.
  • jejohn
    Glenna M said:

No spread...
    Neither cancer has spread, my last CT scan in February showed a new lesion in my lung but the doctor said it looks different than the tumor I had with the NSCLC. Waiting for another scan in May to see if there are any changes in the size of the tumor. Still hoping it turns out to be nothing, I keep telling myself that just because they found something it doesn't mean it's cancer.

That is true. Hope it is
    That is true. Hope it is not, and that your scan is good. Every ache or even if I just feel different in some way, I think it is something to do with cancer. I know that I cant be that way, and that it is not, but that doubt creeps in anyway. Praying positive thoughts and attitudes for all of us!
    What kind of chemo did you take?
  • Dan620
    Dan620 Member Posts: 220
    Glenna M said:

No spread...

Glenna
    Great reading your success in fighting this Devil, and to let you know i also had ct-scan that showed something and next scan was clear. Onco DR said could have been infection.. inflamation??? gave me lots of anxiety. Will keep you in my prayers all will be well. I know the worry never ends with this devil.... Dan
  • Glenna M
    jejohn said:

That is true. Hope it is
    That is true. Hope it is not, and that your scan is good. Every ache or even if I just feel different in some way, I think it is something to do with cancer. I know that I cant be that way, and that it is not, but that doubt creeps in anyway. Praying positive thoughts and attitudes for all of us!
    What kind of chemo did you take?

jejohn
    Been there, done that...actually I think all of us were like that and still are occasionally. The fear eases more the further you get from finishing treatment but I still worry occasionally especially if I have any ear pain as this was one of the first symptoms I experienced pre diagnosis.

I received cisplatin twice a week in 3 week cycles. According to my oncologist it is "the big gun" in chemo.

Stay strong,
    Glenna
  • Glenna M
    Dan620 said:

Glenna
    Great reading your success in fighting this Devil, and to let you know i also had ct-scan that showed something and next scan was clear. Onco DR said could have been infection.. inflamation??? gave me lots of anxiety. Will keep you in my prayers all will be well. I know the worry never ends with this devil.... Dan

Dan620
    Unfortunately there is another tumor in my lung, my scan was sent before the cancer review board for recommendation. The tumor definitely is different from the original tumor so now it is the dreaded "watch and wait" to see if it grows. I'm assuming it is still quite small as they aren't able to do a biopsy yet. I'm trying to keep my mind on more pleasant thoughts but when the occasional fear slips in I remind myself that it's not cancer until they biopsy says it is. Could be something completely harmless and that's what I'm praying for.

Thank you for your prayers, I've been doing a lot of praying for the past 2 years.

Stay well,
    Glenna
  • mamacita5
    mamacita5 Member Posts: 254 Member
    Glenna M said:

Dan620
    Unfortunately there is another tumor in my lung, my scan was sent before the cancer review board for recommendation. The tumor definitely is different from the original tumor so now it is the dreaded "watch and wait" to see if it grows. I'm assuming it is still quite small as they aren't able to do a biopsy yet. I'm trying to keep my mind on more pleasant thoughts but when the occasional fear slips in I remind myself that it's not cancer until they biopsy says it is. Could be something completely harmless and that's what I'm praying for.

Thank you for your prayers, I've been doing a lot of praying for the past 2 years.

Stay well,
    Glenna

Glenna
    Add my prayers to yours Glenna. I do hope that whatever they see in there is harmless. How long do you have to wait?? I am scheduled for my CT on Monday to see what the "subtle change" is. So we are both in the same boat it appears.
  • lekkerone
    lekkerone Member Posts: 199 Member
    mamacita5 said:

Glenna
    Add my prayers to yours Glenna. I do hope that whatever they see in there is harmless. How long do you have to wait?? I am scheduled for my CT on Monday to see what the "subtle change" is. So we are both in the same boat it appears.

Glenna and mamacita
    I pray for good results for you both. Lets hope those subtle changes are little infections or scar tissue.
  • jejohn
    lekkerone said:

Glenna and mamacita
    I pray for good results for you both. Lets hope those subtle changes are little infections or scar tissue.

Praying for good scans and wondering abt. more remission stories
    Hey everyone! Hope yall have a great day! I go for my second treatment with taxotere today. Praying it will work. Monday, I have a brain MRI, which I have every 2 months. Got the all clear last time, but so scared about this one. Trying to put it out of my mind and focus on the wonderful Easter holiday on Sunday.Praying for good scans for all and always for a cure.
    Any more remission stories out there or any that have been on chemo a long time? And how many different chemos??
  • Glenna M
    mamacita5 said:

Glenna

mamacita5
    Thank you for the prayers and please know that I will be praying for a clean scan for you on Monday. I had my last scan on February 10th so my next one should be within the first two weeks of May. They don't schedule the scans that far in advance so my rad onco's nurse will make the appointment and then call me to let me know when it is. I should be hearing from her within the next week or two with a date.

Did they send your scan results to the Cancer Review Board?? My doctor told me in February that there were "subtle changes" and that he was sending the scan to the review board for their recommendation. Ten days later he called me and told me there was a lesion in my lung and then he said TUMOR, once he said that dreaded word my brain stopped functioning. I couldn't think of anything else to say or any questions to ask him, my mind kept repeating that awful word. Everyone keeps asking me why they don't do a biopsy, I'm guessing it may be small enough that they don't feel they could get a good sample. I keep telling myself that it is nothing to worry about and I've managed to keep myself reasonably calm but the past few weeks I have been getting ear aches so I'm nervous. Ear pain was one of the symptoms I had before my first diagnosis. I had my ENT appointment for the laryngeal cancer on Feb 8th and he checked my ears and said there were no problems.

Hope you don't have to wait long for your results, I usually have to wait a week, which as you know will be the longest week of my life. We should be used to the waiting by now but unfortunately it doesn't get any easier.

Keeping you in my prayers,
    Glenna
  • Glenna M
    lekkerone said:

Glenna and mamacita

lekkerone
    Thank you for your prayers, they mean a lot to me. I have a fairly large group of family and friends praying for me which brings me great comfort.

Stay well,
    Glenna
  • Glenna M
    lekkerone said:

Glenna and mamacita

lekkerone
    First time I've done a double post in quite a while - LOL
  • Glenna M
    jejohn said:

Praying for good scans and wondering abt. more remission stories
    Hey everyone! Hope yall have a great day! I go for my second treatment with taxotere today. Praying it will work. Monday, I have a brain MRI, which I have every 2 months. Got the all clear last time, but so scared about this one. Trying to put it out of my mind and focus on the wonderful Easter holiday on Sunday.Praying for good scans for all and always for a cure.
    Any more remission stories out there or any that have been on chemo a long time? And how many different chemos??

jejohn
    Praying for a clean MRI on Monday and I always pray each day for everyone who has cancer.

Have a wonderful Easter,
    Glenna
  • mamacita5
    Glenna M said:

mamacita5
    Thank you for the prayers and please know that I will be praying for a clean scan for you on Monday. I had my last scan on February 10th so my next one should be within the first two weeks of May. They don't schedule the scans that far in advance so my rad onco's nurse will make the appointment and then call me to let me know when it is. I should be hearing from her within the next week or two with a date.

Did they send your scan results to the Cancer Review Board?? My doctor told me in February that there were "subtle changes" and that he was sending the scan to the review board for their recommendation. Ten days later he called me and told me there was a lesion in my lung and then he said TUMOR, once he said that dreaded word my brain stopped functioning. I couldn't think of anything else to say or any questions to ask him, my mind kept repeating that awful word. Everyone keeps asking me why they don't do a biopsy, I'm guessing it may be small enough that they don't feel they could get a good sample. I keep telling myself that it is nothing to worry about and I've managed to keep myself reasonably calm but the past few weeks I have been getting ear aches so I'm nervous. Ear pain was one of the symptoms I had before my first diagnosis. I had my ENT appointment for the laryngeal cancer on Feb 8th and he checked my ears and said there were no problems.

Hope you don't have to wait long for your results, I usually have to wait a week, which as you know will be the longest week of my life. We should be used to the waiting by now but unfortunately it doesn't get any easier.

Keeping you in my prayers,
    Glenna

Glenna
    I had my CT this morning and suspect that it will be several days before I hear anything. This was a tough morning for me, I could not keep the tears from rolling down my cheeks as I was having my scan. Then I sat in the car and cried for a while. Just nerves I guess. I am back a work now, and things seem a little brighter when my mind is occupied by something else. Although as you can see, I had to check into the "group" for a bit.
  • lekkerone
    lekkerone Member Posts: 199 Member
    mamacita5 said:

Glenna
    I had my CT this morning and suspect that it will be several days before I hear anything. This was a tough morning for me, I could not keep the tears from rolling down my cheeks as I was having my scan. Then I sat in the car and cried for a while. Just nerves I guess. I am back a work now, and things seem a little brighter when my mind is occupied by something else. Although as you can see, I had to check into the "group" for a bit.

Scans
    I guess that is what will happen to us every time we get a pain, we will be afraid it's cancer. As for scans, x-rays etc. they scare me and I have only had on x-ray which was good so June is my next x-ray.
    I feel for you both, waiting for results and I promise you that you are in my prayers. God bless, Diane
  • Glenna M
    mamacita5 said:

Glenna

Mamacita
    Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers while you wait for your results. It frustrates me that we have to wait so long for our results because I know the doctors have them by the next day. I guess they don't realize the anxiety we suffer while we are waiting. I even called to see if I could get the results over the phone once and was told that I had to wait until my appointment.

I just found out that my scan isn't until the beginning of June, still don't have a date yet but that means another month of waiting and wondering.

I'm really sorry that you had such a tough, emotional day but I completely understand how you are feeling.

Stay strong and please let us know the results.

My best,
    Glenna
  • Glenna M
    lekkerone said:

Scans
    I guess that is what will happen to us every time we get a pain, we will be afraid it's cancer. As for scans, x-rays etc. they scare me and I have only had on x-ray which was good so June is my next x-ray.
    I feel for you both, waiting for results and I promise you that you are in my prayers. God bless, Diane

Diane
    Thank you for keeping me in your prayers, it really means a lot to me and brings me comfort.

God bless you,
    Glenna
  • jejohn
    Glenna M said:

Mamacita
    Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers while you wait for your results. It frustrates me that we have to wait so long for our results because I know the doctors have them by the next day. I guess they don't realize the anxiety we suffer while we are waiting. I even called to see if I could get the results over the phone once and was told that I had to wait until my appointment.

I just found out that my scan isn't until the beginning of June, still don't have a date yet but that means another month of waiting and wondering.

I'm really sorry that you had such a tough, emotional day but I completely understand how you are feeling.

Stay strong and please let us know the results.

My best,
    Glenna

It is comforting to know we
    It is comforting to know we go through the same feelings. I, too, had a very emotional day yesterday. I attribute it some to the taxotere effects from Thursday, and I havent been sleeping well due to the steroids I take before, during, and after treatment. I pray the entire time I am having the brain MRI. I know the techs pretty well because I have the scan every two months. They are so nice. Yesterday they told me they didnt see anything which brought tears of joy, but also a wave of fear. They are not radiologists, so do they really know??? I see my dr. tomorrow. I now go back and change my appts. so I dont have to wait so long.
    Praying for peace of mind for all of us.....
  • mamacita5
    jejohn said:

It is comforting to know we
    It is comforting to know we go through the same feelings. I, too, had a very emotional day yesterday. I attribute it some to the taxotere effects from Thursday, and I havent been sleeping well due to the steroids I take before, during, and after treatment. I pray the entire time I am having the brain MRI. I know the techs pretty well because I have the scan every two months. They are so nice. Yesterday they told me they didnt see anything which brought tears of joy, but also a wave of fear. They are not radiologists, so do they really know??? I see my dr. tomorrow. I now go back and change my appts. so I dont have to wait so long.
    Praying for peace of mind for all of us.....

jejohn
    Some of those techs are pretty savvy so hopefully you will get great news from the radiologist. I have had a brain MRI twice. The first time they had to haul me out for a bit when I started to panic. The second time the tech was awesome, he put a warm blanket on me and cool cloth over my face then put me in the tube....so much better. I prayed, sang songs in my head, and counted the number of weird sounds I heard. Praying you get GREAT results!