Do you have a port? Please tell me about it!

2»

Comments

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Nancy
    I had a purple power port put in 2 days before the start of chemo. It was done in the hospital as an outpatient and my chest was number but I was awake so the dr could talk to me. I had it removed as I was starting rads. It made getting chemo so much easier as I have poor veins.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Hi Nancy,
    Yes, yes, yes, I

Hi Nancy,

Yes, yes, yes, I am SOOOOO glad I got the port. It made both chemo infusions and blood draws so much easier. I didn't realize that chemo makes your veins very difficult to work with. I had always been an 'easy draw' for blood, but after chemo, not so much. With the port I had lidocaine cream applied 30 mins prior to the draw or infusion and whatever had to be done was pretty painless. I can't imagine if I had to have someone search for a vein for each infusion and blood draw. Its a little strange to have it implanted, but well worth it for me!

I didn't take chemo, so, no
    I didn't take chemo, so, no port. Just wishing you good luck with both.
  • BioAdoptMom
    BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
    cahjah75 said:

Nancy
    I had a purple power port put in 2 days before the start of chemo. It was done in the hospital as an outpatient and my chest was number but I was awake so the dr could talk to me. I had it removed as I was starting rads. It made getting chemo so much easier as I have poor veins.
    {{hugs}} Char

I have made my decision...
    based on your comments and I am going for it! Thank you so much for being willing to share your personal stories which has made my decision so much easier for me!

Nancy
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member

based on your comments and I am going for it! Thank you so much for being willing to share your personal stories which has made my decision so much easier for me!

Nancy

Wouldn't want to be on this journey without it...
    Yes, I have a port and happy I made the decision to have it. With all of the infusions and blood draws, it makes these appointments soooo Much easier. Thumbs Up for a Port!!!
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member

Nancy

Keep us posted
    Let us know how you make out. And when you're scheduled to get your port. We'll be with you in spirit since we can't be there for real.
  • RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Port
    Had a port for four chemo treatments. Honestly, it was put in and taken out with no problems. It can still be a little uncomfortable when they connect through the port but only for a second. Have around an inch and a half scar but it is out of the way and cant be seen when wearing summer clothing. I read that it is good to have the chemicals fed directly into your system this way. If you decide to go ahead good luck.
  • BioAdoptMom
    BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358

Port
    Had a port for four chemo treatments. Honestly, it was put in and taken out with no problems. It can still be a little uncomfortable when they connect through the port but only for a second. Have around an inch and a half scar but it is out of the way and cant be seen when wearing summer clothing. I read that it is good to have the chemicals fed directly into your system this way. If you decide to go ahead good luck.

Thanks friends! I am going
    Thanks friends! I am going to go for it!

Nancy
  • MDoyleSpencer
    MDoyleSpencer Member Posts: 5

Thanks friends! I am going
    Thanks friends! I am going to go for it!

Nancy

You'll be glad!
    I admit mine hurt for a month after the surgery to put it in. But I want to keep it forever -- veins get so small from chemo. The port makes life so much easier.