Charities

HootieGirl
HootieGirl Member Posts: 85
Hi everyone! My 20th birthday is coming up and I'm throwing a huge party of about 150 of my closest friends. I'm asking that in lieu of gifts, people bring cash or checks to make a donation to a breast cancer research charity of my choice. I am still trying to decide on one to have the donations go to! Does anyone know of any good ones? I would love to hear about them!

Hope all of you are doing well,
Kat

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Breast Cancer charity
    I think donating to a breast cancer related charity for your birthday is a great idea. I suggest making donations to the Susan G. Komen Research Foundation. They do great work.

Gifts to Susan G. Komen for the Cure may be made by:

Mail: Susan G. Komen for the Cure
    Attn: Donor Services
    PO Box 650309
    Dallas, TX 75265-0309
    Telephone: 1.877.GO.KOMEN (1.877.465.6636)
    Email: donorinquiry@komen.org

You can also donate online or even by text. Just go to their website http://ww5.komen.org/donate
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769

Breast Cancer charity
    I think donating to a breast cancer related charity for your birthday is a great idea. I suggest making donations to the Susan G. Komen Research Foundation. They do great work.

Gifts to Susan G. Komen for the Cure may be made by:

Mail: Susan G. Komen for the Cure
    Attn: Donor Services
    PO Box 650309
    Dallas, TX 75265-0309
    Telephone: 1.877.GO.KOMEN (1.877.465.6636)
    Email: donorinquiry@komen.org

You can also donate online or even by text. Just go to their website http://ww5.komen.org/donate

Kat
    Kat--I just want to say thank you for thinking of doing this to help others when you are going through treatment yourself.
    You are a special young woman.
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member

Kat
    Kat--I just want to say thank you for thinking of doing this to help others when you are going through treatment yourself.
    You are a special young woman.

Great Idea
    What a great way to celebrate your birthday and think of us survivors. We think about you also. I agree with donations going to Susam B Komen Foundation. I hear nothing but good things about that charity.

You are a special young lady.Have a good time at your party.

We are thinking of you.

Lynn Smith
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member

Great Idea
    What a great way to celebrate your birthday and think of us survivors. We think about you also. I agree with donations going to Susam B Komen Foundation. I hear nothing but good things about that charity.

You are a special young lady.Have a good time at your party.

We are thinking of you.

Lynn Smith

OPPPSSSS
    I made 2 mistakes.Don't have my glasses on(in my car)and I am tired.Been gone all day at a vacc clinic for dogs and cats.I've done animal welfare work in my area for many years. Now I've added Relay for Life.

Susan G Komen Foundation.

I'll be back later this evening when I get my glasses and rest a bit.
  • BioAdoptMom
    BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
    I am fairly new to this club
    I am fairly new to this club and don't know what to suggest, but thank you for being so generous and selfless! I hope you have a wonderful time at your birthday party!

Nancy
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Kat
    What a thoughtful young lady you are! And so incredible that you are going through this yourself but yet thinking of others. Have a wonderful party! Hugs, Linda
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    First I would like to say
    First I would like to say that you are an amazing young lady! You show an incredible amount of strength and courage and I hope you succeed in your nursing career. You will be such an asset to health care professionals everywhere.

To answer your question, might I suggest Breast Cancer Action www.bcaction.org
    which is a well known organization that works towards the prevention of breast cancer and all cancers through the lobbying of gov't and educating people about the carcinogens in our makeup, hormones in livestock and pesticides plus many other issues.

Whichever you choose, thank you for doing this,
    jan
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Hope this helps
    You can check out ratings of charities and how their funds were allocated at www.charitynavigator.org. The 3 that I often give to are ACS, Komen and Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Komen and BCRF are 4 star rated (highest rating) charities. BCRF is one of my favorites because I believe research is key to finding a cure, but I give to all three.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Hope this helps
    You can check out ratings of charities and how their funds were allocated at www.charitynavigator.org. The 3 that I often give to are ACS, Komen and Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Komen and BCRF are 4 star rated (highest rating) charities. BCRF is one of my favorites because I believe research is key to finding a cure, but I give to all three.

Hootgirl ....
    First of all, How are you feeling and progressing with treatments?

Secondly, Hap Happy Birthday -- and many more ... I am amazed that you have the insight at such a young age to think of others! I am sure your parents are so proud and honored to have you as their daughter! KUDOS

Strength, Courage and Hope

Vicki Sam
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Happy Birthday! I hope you
    Happy Birthday! I hope you have many, many more to celebrate because you are an amazing person!

My thoughts on the donations...is there an organization out there that is doing research on your particular cancer? I know it's rare, but if someone (Komen, ACS, etc.) is funding research in that area that's what I would do. I might also provide a couple of options to guests.

Whatever you choose it will help all of us and our children. Thank you.

Linda
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Another good charity.
    'Stand up to cancer' had a televised fundraiser last year and many of us had to admit to crying through most of it. They don't just research breast cancer but they do claim that 100% of donations go toward research to find a cure for cancer whereas many of the other charities spend a large portion on educating the public about cancer. It's really wonderful that you are using your momentous occasion to get donations for cancer research.

http://www.standup2cancer.org/