Life Sucks

Hi peeps,

Boy, I hate to complain about anything because some of you are having major health concerns but right now my life is sucky. I pretty much know what to do when I'm sick but as some of you know, I have a cat, Neo, who has been fighting lymphoma since Dec. IN Feb he was also diagnosed with skin cancer, treated with lots of complications for him. He is on preds, chemo and now sub q fluids every few days for the lymphoma. He has gone from over 10 lbs to 6.4 lbs as of today. Lost 3/4 lb in 5 days. Been in ICU this past week but is home now. My family is very sad and worred for him. And with all this he seems happy. But I am stressed to the max. Especially having to go out of town to see doctors for me this week.

On top of Neo, my 24 year old parrot Pipper became ill 10 days ago, been in and out of ICU, on various meds, and needs lots of care and attention right now. Vets have know idea what's wrong but doesn't look very hopeful. Vet even mentioned having to put him down. 24 years with him, that's a long time. I feel like all I do is take care of sick pets because that is all I do.

And Neo was found to have fleas when he was in ICU. Didn't see anything on him before that but now need to totally flea treat the house. It's totally exhausting but needs to be done. And I'm highly allergic to fleas, can end up in the hospital myself.....so just add a ton more stress.

I'm so afraid that all this stress is going to make my cancer relapse. I don't usually take meds to calm down but lately have been dipping into my left over Adivan at night.

Okay, enough of oh poor me........I know you guys understand when life becomes too overwhelming so please give me some assistance, sage advice, or John something funny.
Again, sorry the post is so long and that I'm whining away.

Nurse Leslie

Comments

• forme
    forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
    Not whinning
    Hi Leslie
    Whine away. You are allowed to anytime you want. So sorry that your furry feathered family is having such struggles. It's so very hard when our loved ones are ill. I hope the vet can figure out whats wrong with Pipper. What kind of parrot is he. We used to have parrots and love birds when the kids were little. And we lost our beloved cat Goldie at the age of 22 years about 3 years ago. We did the home ivs with her too.
    Can anyone help you with defleaing the house. Maybe you can take a walk on the beach. The weather is warm up here today.
    Hang in as best you can. And reach out to all of us anytime you need.
    Peaceful healing
    Lisha
  • dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Wow
    Oh Leslie, I can imagine how heavy your heart is for your pets. I completely understand and I cannot imagine having a pet for 24 years. What an integral part of your family.

Just do your best to take a moment at a time. Have you done anything nice for yourself today? Maybe a nice warm bubblebath, or a glass of tea outside under the beautiful rays of the sun God is sharing with us today? Turn the phone off. Turn the TV off. I don't know about you but one of the most relaxing CD's I have is one from Vanessa Mae (a young violinist) and has no vocals...and is awesome. I get more work done listening to her and it never seems like work. Suddenly the CD is done and I realize an hour has gone by and sometimes taken some of the stress with the time.

Just know you are in my heart and I would love to send you ~hugs~

Beth
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    dixiegirl said:

Wow
    Oh Leslie, I can imagine how heavy your heart is for your pets. I completely understand and I cannot imagine having a pet for 24 years. What an integral part of your family.

Just do your best to take a moment at a time. Have you done anything nice for yourself today? Maybe a nice warm bubblebath, or a glass of tea outside under the beautiful rays of the sun God is sharing with us today? Turn the phone off. Turn the TV off. I don't know about you but one of the most relaxing CD's I have is one from Vanessa Mae (a young violinist) and has no vocals...and is awesome. I get more work done listening to her and it never seems like work. Suddenly the CD is done and I realize an hour has gone by and sometimes taken some of the stress with the time.

Beth

Indeed...
    Hey there fellow peep,
    Dang...I keep forgetting to ask you about Neo..so sorry he is having so many issues. When I was little our neighbor had a parrot and it was the coolest bird. Man...I'm with you..life does suck at times, and I guess this is one of those times. It's times like this that I wish we all lived close enough to jump in the car and come to the rescue for one another. While your gone for the two days will you have someone to keep a close eye on your babies? I'd be stressed too if I was in your shoes...our pets are just like a family member. Like the ladies said...maybe take a short walk, bubble bath, or go find some of those choco peeps to munch on. I'm sorry Leslie...wish I could make it all go away. I'll send loving thoughts down your way...with the wind we're having they should get there in no time!
    Love ya...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/1-0)
  • yesyes2
    yesyes2 Member Posts: 591
    forme said:

Not whinning
    Hi Leslie
    Whine away. You are allowed to anytime you want. So sorry that your furry feathered family is having such struggles. It's so very hard when our loved ones are ill. I hope the vet can figure out whats wrong with Pipper. What kind of parrot is he. We used to have parrots and love birds when the kids were little. And we lost our beloved cat Goldie at the age of 22 years about 3 years ago. We did the home ivs with her too.
    Can anyone help you with defleaing the house. Maybe you can take a walk on the beach. The weather is warm up here today.
    Hang in as best you can. And reach out to all of us anytime you need.
    Peaceful healing
    Lisha

Fleas
    Thank you Lisha for the kind thoughts.

Pipper is a cockateal, normal gray. He is a runt, very tiny and getting smaller by the day. Twenty-four is very old.

So sorry about Goldie. 27 years is very impressive, you did a good job with her. It's so hard to say goodbye to tiny creatures ar they are so a part of the family and held deep within our hearts.

Actually today has been cloudy off and on and the tourists are in town. Went to 2 vet offices and Costco, not too exciting. Washed tons of clothing, towels and all blanket, sheets, etc and cleaned all the floors. Son has vacumned the wall to wall once or twice a day since Tuesday evening. Cat is treated. All carpet and area rugs will be professionally treated and deep cleaned in about a week. And we don't even know if our home has infestation. Husband has not been of any assistance on cleaning or anything else today. A major sore point.

On your chemo and anti nausea drugs sounds like Beth has some good ideas. Or ask the Doc for something stronger than Zofran. I know it's good, I used it during BC treatments, but maybe something else may be better for you.

Take care my friend.
    Blessings,
    Leslie
  • yesyes2
    dixiegirl said:

Wow

Beth

Thank You
    Dear Beth, Even with everything you are going through you always find just the right words and advise to give. Do you have any idea how very special you are? I so appreciate your wisdom.

I really want to find some time to just relax and read a book I've been trying to get to for several months now. Husband and I will watch a movie he rented this evening and listening to a relaxing CD sounds wonderful, need to see what we have in our collection.

Beth have a very pleasent evening with hugs right back at you.
    Leslie
  • yesyes2
    yesyes2 said:

Thank You
    Dear Beth, Even with everything you are going through you always find just the right words and advise to give. Do you have any idea how very special you are? I so appreciate your wisdom.

I really want to find some time to just relax and read a book I've been trying to get to for several months now. Husband and I will watch a movie he rented this evening and listening to a relaxing CD sounds wonderful, need to see what we have in our collection.

Leslie

Need Candy
    Hey Sue,

Your so right, think I need to go find me some choc peeps. Or those cadbury eggs, get some every Easter but haven't done that this year.

It would be so cool if we could all visit one another but virtual visits and hugs are good too.

Wow, you must be having lots of wind. Is this the usual for Spring? My allergies would be off and running, along with my nose.

Husband and son are taking turns watching the fur and feather friends. Son will give all the meds. He's really good with them.

I'm so glad for you and everyone on this board, as you are all my family.

Have a really good evening Lizzie's grandmother.

Love you,
    Leslie
  • dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    yesyes2 said:

Thank You

Leslie

Life's Lessons
    Sometimes the very best thing we can do for ourselves is to look outside ourselves. When we are able to give to someone else who's hurting, scared, or angry it takes the stress and pressure off our shoulders for a short time.

I know that's the kindest thing I can do for myself today.

I woke up this morning in a horrible place. I looked like death warmed over. My hubby admitted I "looked sick" for the first time. I could barely walk due to the back spasms, and genuinely felt sick. I would touch my hair and too many hairs stayed in my hands. I caught myself stacking the hairs on the edge of the sink and could NOT stop doing it. I was on the edge of tears because I hurt so bad. I was trying to bury myself back in bed and pulling the covers over my head so that I didn't have to face the day. Jim shaved my head and some of that pain started to dissipate. I called my friend I haven't seen her in months, she talked about driving out to my house to see me.

I put makeup on, got dressed in something nicer than an old stained t-shirt, and put away the pillows on the couch, and decided to pull my attitude around.

Do I feel better this evening?? Yes, not perfect but emotionally better and more spiritually centered. Physically I still need help but you know, I'll make it through another day. My "Act as if" got me to a much better place.

Sometimes reaching out to all of you in turn helps me get through one more moment.

Rest easy tonight friends!
    Love to everyone

Beth
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    Pets
    Leslie,
    i can't think of anything funny when it comes to animals being sick. I love them so much. It is hard when they are sick because they depend on us so much. Alot of people do not realize how smart they are. They have us tied around their finger. And we call them our pets.Hmmmm!!! John
  • Michele23
    Michele23 Member Posts: 168
    COBRA666 said:

Pets
    Leslie,
    i can't think of anything funny when it comes to animals being sick. I love them so much. It is hard when they are sick because they depend on us so much. Alot of people do not realize how smart they are. They have us tied around their finger. And we call them our pets.Hmmmm!!! John

Like chidren
    My pets were like having more children around.Both our dogs died of cancer,one died in it's pen while I was at work.The other we had to put down.My sweet Niki was the last straw and I never got another animal after her.They can break a heart into a million pieces.My best to you and your babes,Michele
  • miss maggie
    miss maggie Member Posts: 929
    Cat and Parrot
    Dear Leslie,

I am so sorry to hear about your cat Neo, and parrot Pipper. You are such a good mom.
    What a bummer. You have to be stressed out caring for your cat and parrot, while battling
    cancer. It's not fair. Why do these things happen to the best of people?

It seems I always have a story relating to someone's post. Years ago when My daughter
    was very young. We bought her a parrot (red headed amazon speckled parrot). We named him
    Max. We bought him on a Friday, and noticed his breathing was labored. Since there was
    a guarantee on our purchase, we returned Max on Monday. We got another parrot. But, by
    Wednesday, all our thoughts were with Max. We felt Max was meant to be with our family.
    We returned to the store and got Max back. As you very well know, when a bird has problems
    breathing, the outcome is not good. I beleive they don't have lungs, but air sacks.
    We immediately found a vet that only treats birds. He gave Max injections weekly (not sure
    what it was), probably anti biotics, and each night I covered his cage with a blanket smeared with Vick. His spirits
    lifted each day, but it took 6 months for Max to be totally cured. Is there a vet that treats
    birds only where you live?

Over the years I have been heartbroken when my dog and many cats passed away after I tried
    everything. The emptiness in the house is horrible when they are gone. Most of my pets
    are buried in a pet cemetary or I have their ashes in my home with a picture of them on
    the tin.

Please keep us posted how things are going. For you, I send the very best with your
    struggle. Love Maggie
  • KC13167
    KC13167 Member Posts: 215

Cat and Parrot
    Dear Leslie,

I am so sorry to hear about your cat Neo, and parrot Pipper. You are such a good mom.
    What a bummer. You have to be stressed out caring for your cat and parrot, while battling

It seems I always have a story relating to someone's post. Years ago when My daughter
    was very young. We bought her a parrot (red headed amazon speckled parrot). We named him
    Max. We bought him on a Friday, and noticed his breathing was labored. Since there was
    a guarantee on our purchase, we returned Max on Monday. We got another parrot. But, by
    Wednesday, all our thoughts were with Max. We felt Max was meant to be with our family.
    We returned to the store and got Max back. As you very well know, when a bird has problems
    breathing, the outcome is not good. I beleive they don't have lungs, but air sacks.
    We immediately found a vet that only treats birds. He gave Max injections weekly (not sure
    what it was), probably anti biotics, and each night I covered his cage with a blanket smeared with Vick. His spirits
    lifted each day, but it took 6 months for Max to be totally cured. Is there a vet that treats

Over the years I have been heartbroken when my dog and many cats passed away after I tried
    everything. The emptiness in the house is horrible when they are gone. Most of my pets
    are buried in a pet cemetary or I have their ashes in my home with a picture of them on
    the tin.

Please keep us posted how things are going. For you, I send the very best with your
    struggle. Love Maggie

Leslie,
    You are a wonderful pet parent. Your posts left me in tears last night, and again today as I reread them. How blessed your animals are to have you and your caring son! What a wonderful trait for a mom to pass to her child.

Kellie
  • yesyes2
    COBRA666 said:

Pets
    Leslie,

Pets
    Yes John,

Our pets have us well trained. But I love being so trained, HA!
    Wish my husband was as well trained.

Leslie
  • yesyes2
    Michele23 said:

Like chidren
    My pets were like having more children around.Both our dogs died of cancer,one died in it's pen while I was at work.The other we had to put down.My sweet Niki was the last straw and I never got another animal after her.They can break a heart into a million pieces.My best to you and your babes,Michele

Loss
    Michele,
    I'm pretty much a rabbit and parrot person. Neo is my first cat and love him dearly. But my heart did belong to my 2 house bunnies who died many years ago. Bubba passed in 1999 and Baxter, love of our lives as far as pets go, died in 2003. He was a beautiful French Lop and weighed in at 15 pounds with no fat. I vowed never to have another rabbit or to love another pet like that again. Than Neo came into my heart.
    Leslie
  • yesyes2

Cat and Parrot
    Dear Leslie,

the tin.

struggle. Love Maggie

Max
    Maggie, what a wonderful story about Max. What became of him? You truly are an animal lover as Max would probably not survived with out your care and compassion. You show that every day on this board to all of us. Pipper is under avian vet care, it's just we can't seem to figure out whats wrong. Perhaps it's just his time as his old body is wearing out.
    Blessings to you,
    Leslie
  • yesyes2
    yesyes2 said:

Max
    Maggie, what a wonderful story about Max. What became of him? You truly are an animal lover as Max would probably not survived with out your care and compassion. You show that every day on this board to all of us. Pipper is under avian vet care, it's just we can't seem to figure out whats wrong. Perhaps it's just his time as his old body is wearing out.
    Blessings to you,
    Leslie

Kellie,
    Thank you for your

Kellie,
    Thank you for your kind words. It means alot to me that everyone has been so supportive.
    My son, who is an adult is wonderful with animals. He has a very gentle soul.
    Leslie
  • KC13167
    KC13167 Member Posts: 215
    yesyes2 said:

Kellie,
    Thank you for your

Kellie,
    Thank you for your kind words. It means alot to me that everyone has been so supportive.
    My son, who is an adult is wonderful with animals. He has a very gentle soul.
    Leslie

Leslie, 8 years ago, I went
    Leslie, 8 years ago, I went from working as an RN to managing a national pet specialty store. Are pet people nice or are they nicer because they have a pet? It's a what came first question... I just loved my job. It was sad at times. I would get there in the morning to find a box of very wee kittens or other animal that had spent the night on the sidewalk, with only a box to shield them from the cold. The worst was when someone left a sick ferret in a cardboard box, without a source of water. When an animal is abandoned, it is protocol to take the animal for a Vet evaluation and treatment. I had one customer who had an ill hamster. This woman wanted to give it to me because she couldn't afford a Vet visit. I was thankful that she just hadn't let it free outside or placed the poor baby in the trash. That specific hamster was humanely euthanized. Some days were very tear-filled.

Sometimes it's impossible to teach someone how to be a responsible pet parent. How do you teach grace and love except by example? You are wonderful. Animals are a blessing that we have in our lives for too short of a time. Unconditional love on a two way street. Kellie
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    Pets
    Leslie,
    We have 4 dogs. 2 hotdogs and the other 2 are a lot bigger.I believe she has some coyote in her.Never seen a dog that can run so fast.We think so much of our pets that one of them actually has a plastic pool in the summer time she takes a dip in. She sits down and then lays down to cool off. The other bigger dog does not like the pool. She'd rather jump in a muddy ditch after it rains. Yes, They are cleaned and dried before they come in the house. John
  • miss maggie
    yesyes2 said:

Max
    Blessings to you,
    Leslie

Max
    Dear Leslie,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I truly love and worry about everyone
    on this site, as you do.

I am so glad Pipper is being treated with an avian vet. You are doing everything
    possible for Pipper. The same with your cat Neo. Please remember Max was a young
    parrot, and was able to survive his illness.

Max was 29 years old when he passed away. Max wasn't feeling well, and we brought him to another avian
    vet. The other avian doctor retired. We received a call that Max passed away. I was sick.
    What made me so especially sad, he was with strangers and passed away without his
    family. All of our pets never passed away without us. One of my favorite babies, Miss
    Maggie, white cat, blue eyes, and deaf. She was a devil. She lived to be 19, and passed
    away at home.

Considering your illness, I pray for a miracle for your babies. You cried enough tears.

All my love Maggie
  • miss maggie
    KC13167 said:

Leslie, 8 years ago, I went
    Leslie, 8 years ago, I went from working as an RN to managing a national pet specialty store. Are pet people nice or are they nicer because they have a pet? It's a what came first question... I just loved my job. It was sad at times. I would get there in the morning to find a box of very wee kittens or other animal that had spent the night on the sidewalk, with only a box to shield them from the cold. The worst was when someone left a sick ferret in a cardboard box, without a source of water. When an animal is abandoned, it is protocol to take the animal for a Vet evaluation and treatment. I had one customer who had an ill hamster. This woman wanted to give it to me because she couldn't afford a Vet visit. I was thankful that she just hadn't let it free outside or placed the poor baby in the trash. That specific hamster was humanely euthanized. Some days were very tear-filled.

Sometimes it's impossible to teach someone how to be a responsible pet parent. How do you teach grace and love except by example? You are wonderful. Animals are a blessing that we have in our lives for too short of a time. Unconditional love on a two way street. Kellie

Yes, a blessing Kellie
    Dear Kellie,

You are truly a wonderful, caring human being. I especially love your words "grace
    and love". I am positive you conduct your life with grace and love.

Be well and happy. All my love Maggie