Please share your wisdom with me if you had or are having chemo!

BioAdoptMom
BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
I would love to know your best advice in preparation for chemo (specifically I will be starting Taxotere/Cytoxan in about 2 to 4 weeks). I would like to know everything from buzzing hair to meal prep to what to purchase to help with side effects, and everything in between! Thanks!

Nancy

Comments

• pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    I have not had that cocktail
    I have not had that cocktail YET so far all the different chemo's I have had has made me very very tired like sleep for 14 hours or more tired. I have been very lucky and have not been sick much --- knock on wood ---- the gemzar backs me up like cement tho......
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

I have not had that cocktail
    I have not had that cocktail YET so far all the different chemo's I have had has made me very very tired like sleep for 14 hours or more tired. I have been very lucky and have not been sick much --- knock on wood ---- the gemzar backs me up like cement tho......

I had the same protocol
    Your oncologist or staff will give you plenty of good advice about what to expect and what to do, when to call, etc. And after I got all that great advice, reading materials, etc., I got different side effects - every single flippin' cycle. But every single one of them was manageable and every single one of them was tolerable. Fun? Nope, but much more doable than I ever imagined. Fear is your greatest enemy. I kept reminding myself that millions of women had been through this and come out the other side and I could do it too.

My advice to you is to not borrow trouble and heed the basic advice - drink, drink, drink plenty of water. Take the anti-nausea, anti-anxiety drugs, sleep aids, Neulasta, B-6, and steroids whether you think you need them or not. Take good care of yourself, eat what you can, and don't worry about weight gain or loss. Cheer yourself on for every single day that gets you closer to the end. It truly goes by rather quickly.

The first cycle will be the worst because you don't know what to expect. Once you see that you got through cycle 1, the others won't be a surprise.

Keep in touch with us. We'll get you through it when you're frightened or sick. It is very doable. I hope I never have to do it again, but if I do, I will with less trepidation than the first time.

Best,
    Suzanne
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member

I had the same protocol
    Your oncologist or staff will give you plenty of good advice about what to expect and what to do, when to call, etc. And after I got all that great advice, reading materials, etc., I got different side effects - every single flippin' cycle. But every single one of them was manageable and every single one of them was tolerable. Fun? Nope, but much more doable than I ever imagined. Fear is your greatest enemy. I kept reminding myself that millions of women had been through this and come out the other side and I could do it too.

My advice to you is to not borrow trouble and heed the basic advice - drink, drink, drink plenty of water. Take the anti-nausea, anti-anxiety drugs, sleep aids, Neulasta, B-6, and steroids whether you think you need them or not. Take good care of yourself, eat what you can, and don't worry about weight gain or loss. Cheer yourself on for every single day that gets you closer to the end. It truly goes by rather quickly.

The first cycle will be the worst because you don't know what to expect. Once you see that you got through cycle 1, the others won't be a surprise.

Keep in touch with us. We'll get you through it when you're frightened or sick. It is very doable. I hope I never have to do it again, but if I do, I will with less trepidation than the first time.

Best,
    Suzanne

Suzanne gave very good
    Suzanne gave very good advice, especially about keeping in touch with this board. I was so grateful for it and no question was too small. As for hair, mine started to come out on day 14, right on schedule. The best course of action for me was to get buzzed really short a week or so in advance, the when that started to go, I had my son shave it all off. I only wore a wig to work caps and scarves in between. Everything came off as soon as I was in for the day and I was bald. It's a shock and a bit traumatic, but a year later, I have had many hair cuts. Best wishes to you, I'm sure you'll do fine. By the way, I had the same cocktail as you.
  • Katmy
    Katmy Member Posts: 93
    I am currently having this
    I am currently having this cocktail. I finished my 3rd round and have one remaining. I don't know what your support system is, but I would recommend having a variety of pre-packaged foods ready for neutropenia days. Taxotere wiped my WBC out for 5 days. You should consider little apple sauces, puddings, cottage cheese, frozen meat in tiny amounts. Since my first round, I get Neulasta.
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Katmy said:

I am currently having this
    I am currently having this cocktail. I finished my 3rd round and have one remaining. I don't know what your support system is, but I would recommend having a variety of pre-packaged foods ready for neutropenia days. Taxotere wiped my WBC out for 5 days. You should consider little apple sauces, puddings, cottage cheese, frozen meat in tiny amounts. Since my first round, I get Neulasta.

I'm not sure
    I'm not sure with this combination of chemo drugs since I was on different ones that I got a metallic taste in my mouth so I made sure that I had plastic ware in my house and also kept some in my purse just in case I was out somewhere and there was none. I also tried to cook in glassware when the metallic taste was at it worse. Drink plenty of water-keep yourself hydrated. If the anti-nausea meds don't work please don't be afraid to mention this to your doctor because he/she maybe able to change your anti-nausea meds. I never got sick with my chemo treatments. Rest when you can. Don't be afraid to ask for help from family and friends.

Best of luck,
    Margo
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

I'm not sure
    I'm not sure with this combination of chemo drugs since I was on different ones that I got a metallic taste in my mouth so I made sure that I had plastic ware in my house and also kept some in my purse just in case I was out somewhere and there was none. I also tried to cook in glassware when the metallic taste was at it worse. Drink plenty of water-keep yourself hydrated. If the anti-nausea meds don't work please don't be afraid to mention this to your doctor because he/she maybe able to change your anti-nausea meds. I never got sick with my chemo treatments. Rest when you can. Don't be afraid to ask for help from family and friends.

Best of luck,
    Margo

I must have been on the same
    I must have been on the same thing as Margo. You got good advice. I never got sick durning chemo. I always took antinausea drugs right before chemo and then follow directions every 4 hours or whatever it said. Eat and drink what ever you can. I had a problem with the taste of water, but not if I added flavor. Only lemonaide for me all the way through chemo.Crackers, potatoes,vanilla waffers all seem to work well for me. You could be more tired, so rest if you need to. Remember,you may not have any side affects at all. Whatever happen's there is an end and it's all doable. Wish you the best.
    Kathy~
  • canoegirl
    canoegirl Member Posts: 169
    I had this and it was no
    I had this and it was no where near as bad as my imagination thougt it would be. I will echo the water, water, water statement. Also, if you tend to get neausa and you have a long ride home (mine was 90 minutes or more) you may want to have some saltines in the car with you. I didn't actually need them, but they were like a security blanket for me. I found that the advice from my chemo nurses was 'spot on'. Oh yeah, don't be hesitant to accept help/meals/etc from friends. I didn't think I needed anybody to cook for me the 1st chemo night, but after a LONG day of getting the port in the morning and chemo in the afternoon and about 4 hours (combined) in the car it was nice to have food waiting.

Also, I cut my hair short and then waited until it started to fall out and had my husband buzz it to about 1/4 inch. My chemo nurse told me that if it's shaved there's no hair to pull the root out and it could cause acne on the head.

Good luck; prayers are coming your way,
    Marcy
  • BioAdoptMom
    BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
    canoegirl said:

I had this and it was no
    I had this and it was no where near as bad as my imagination thougt it would be. I will echo the water, water, water statement. Also, if you tend to get neausa and you have a long ride home (mine was 90 minutes or more) you may want to have some saltines in the car with you. I didn't actually need them, but they were like a security blanket for me. I found that the advice from my chemo nurses was 'spot on'. Oh yeah, don't be hesitant to accept help/meals/etc from friends. I didn't think I needed anybody to cook for me the 1st chemo night, but after a LONG day of getting the port in the morning and chemo in the afternoon and about 4 hours (combined) in the car it was nice to have food waiting.

Also, I cut my hair short and then waited until it started to fall out and had my husband buzz it to about 1/4 inch. My chemo nurse told me that if it's shaved there's no hair to pull the root out and it could cause acne on the head.

Good luck; prayers are coming your way,
    Marcy

Thank you all for your great
    Thank you all for your great advice like what to have to eat, why not to completely shave my head, all the water, etc. I am sooooooooooooo thankful that I joined this great site!

Nancy