Need advice on flying after lymph node removal

MyTurnNow
MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
Hi sisters. I haven't been on here for a short while but now need your advice. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy in November 2010 and 2 levels of lymph nodes removed. I have not had any problems with lymphodema so far. We have had a death in the family and I need to fly tomorrow from FL to OK. I do not have a compression sleve and am not sure I actually need one. I have read pro's and con's on them. If you have had a similar experience to mine and have also flown, did you wear a sleeve? Would you recommend one? Thanks for your replies.

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I had 2 levels of nodes removed...
    but not a mastectomy....

BUT, I fly back and forth from The Netherlands (Holland), a 10-plus hour trip each way, and do not have a sleeve....I even flew during chemo treatments...then, with only a mask...darn bugs don't know to stay in their assigned seats...*smile*

I DO, however, make sure to get up and walk around...and stretch while in my seat...especially my 'special' arm....

Sorry for your reason to need to fly....

Hugs, Kathi
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    So very sorry for your loss!
    I do have lymphedema and I usually wear my sleeve, if you are very concerned you can always wrap it gently (not too tight) with an ace bandage to give you a bit more support. Hope this helps.

RE
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Thanks, Kathi and RE for
    Thanks, Kathi and RE for your quick response. I think I'm going to "roll the dice" and fly without the sleeve. Wish me luck!
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I had a mastectomy and also
    I had a mastectomy and also had 4 involved lymph nodes in 1987 and my doctor then removed as many nodes as he could, because that was the treatment back then. I have never had lymphedema and I fly regularly, but I know I have been lucky. I do try and keep active and move my arms often.
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    flying
    I had the same surgery with lymph nodes removed. I do not wear a sleeve, and I do fly about 4 times a year. While flying I move around a lot and walk some.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    lizzie17 said:

flying
    I had the same surgery with lymph nodes removed. I do not wear a sleeve, and I do fly about 4 times a year. While flying I move around a lot and walk some.

I dont have lymphedema
    I dont have lymphedema either, but i do fly with sleeves(bilateral) my doc told me too. but before this diagnosis I always flew without any problems. It is important to move and also to be careful about your luggage, carrying too much etc...
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    I Still Wear One When I Fly
    I only had two lymph nodes removed from under my arm (and 2 from my chest) and my doctor was very adamant that I wear one when flying. Even though my chances of lymphodema is very low, he explained to me it could develop at any time....even years out from treatment.

So...just to be on the safe side, I wear one. I have several girlfriends that have lymphodema and really struggle. Some are more severe than others, but I just don't want to go there if I can help it! And...one of my friends had no problem until 9 years later!!!

You can buy a compression sleeve at any health supply store. I'd call your doctor's office, they usually have referrals of who carries them. And really good stores have "fitting experts" that will measure your arm so you get a sleeve that fits properly. Insurance should cover them as well.

Best,
    Sally
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    sal314 said:

I Still Wear One When I Fly
    I only had two lymph nodes removed from under my arm (and 2 from my chest) and my doctor was very adamant that I wear one when flying. Even though my chances of lymphodema is very low, he explained to me it could develop at any time....even years out from treatment.

So...just to be on the safe side, I wear one. I have several girlfriends that have lymphodema and really struggle. Some are more severe than others, but I just don't want to go there if I can help it! And...one of my friends had no problem until 9 years later!!!

You can buy a compression sleeve at any health supply store. I'd call your doctor's office, they usually have referrals of who carries them. And really good stores have "fitting experts" that will measure your arm so you get a sleeve that fits properly. Insurance should cover them as well.

Best,
    Sally

Excellent subject ... Serious issue regarding our
    'after' care. I will now add to my list of questions to ask my Oncologist on my next check up visit.

Thank you so much for bringing this to light.

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    RE said:

So very sorry for your loss!
    I do have lymphedema and I usually wear my sleeve, if you are very concerned you can always wrap it gently (not too tight) with an ace bandage to give you a bit more support. Hope this helps.

RE

I don't have lymphedema, so,
    I don't have lymphedema, so, when I fly, I don't do anything differently. Have you checked with your doctor? You might need a compression sleeve to wear.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    MyTurnNow said:

Thanks, Kathi and RE for
    Thanks, Kathi and RE for your quick response. I think I'm going to "roll the dice" and fly without the sleeve. Wish me luck!

Good luck to you MyTurnNow!
    Good luck to you MyTurnNow!

Lex