Good scope today

BMGky
BMGky Member Posts: 621
Surgeon did a scope today to check husband's "new" esophagus, one year post op. He said everything looked great and pink. No signs of GERD nor any other irritation. Saw nothing requiring biopsy. Well pleased. Standard followup appointment as already scheduled. From what I understand, he will have periodic c-scans, PET scans and scopes for a while. We are very thankful. : )

Comments

• sandy1943
    sandy1943 Member Posts: 824
    That is great! My only
    That is great! My only problem since surgery in May '08 is needing dilations. I just had my fourth. This time is less successful than before.He hasn't been able to open as much as he would like, because I have too much inflamation- a sign of acid reflux. I can't tell I have it. I had to quit taking the strong acid reflux meds. because of side effects, but I am taking Zantac.
    Glad you're husband's showing no sign of inflamation. Yes, we do have to have followup tests. I'm on a six month schedule now.
    Sandra
  • mrsbotch
    mrsbotch Member Posts: 349
    sandy1943 said:

That is great! My only
    That is great! My only problem since surgery in May '08 is needing dilations. I just had my fourth. This time is less successful than before.He hasn't been able to open as much as he would like, because I have too much inflamation- a sign of acid reflux. I can't tell I have it. I had to quit taking the strong acid reflux meds. because of side effects, but I am taking Zantac.
    Glad you're husband's showing no sign of inflamation. Yes, we do have to have followup tests. I'm on a six month schedule now.
    Sandra

Hi Sandy
    I'm sorry you are having such problems with dialations. can you eat regular food? How is your pastor doing?
    I am o.k. Some days better than others and vice versa.

Love ya

barb
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,392 Member
    Great to hear things are looking good
    It is always nice to have a test and get the good news right away without having to wait for the results to be read or pathology tests.

I am very happy to hear you got good news!!!!

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • snook717
    snook717 Member Posts: 45
    Great news
    So glad to hear your great news! I play things over and over in my head that I know are going to happen to try to prepare myself(LOL) for anything and this is one that I've done a million times. I pray we all have the same great news when the time comes!
  • BMGky
    BMGky Member Posts: 621
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Thanks to everybody for your kind words and support
    We really appreciate your encouragement and expressions of joy for the great scope. Love your humor, William. Each one of you are special to us. You can't imagine just how much your suggestions and encouragement have meant to us and helped us. Please keep up your good work of informing the newbies of their options and matters they should consider. You save lives. It was eerie today in the post-procedure waiting area for Bill. Someone in another curtained room, a woman, had just had a scope for a possible hiatal hernia. The doctor was telling her that he was less concerned about the hernia as to the signs of gastric reflux he had found. He was very supportive and clear in expressing his concerns, not alarming. He explained he saw inflammation and described a "ring" that had formed. He further said that he found a nodule at the top of the esophagus. While he felt it did not suggest a problem, that sometimes these nodules offer surprises, that he had seen these to be a problem in a couple of instances [a sign of the rarity of this cancer]. Anyway, he had taken biopsies to investigate. That he didn't expect a problem. (He was being very careful not to be alarming but to be reassuring) He said that he expected all to be well and that he'd send a letter but that if he found anything of interest, he would call her within a day or two. He suggested that she move beyond an OTC anti-acid and take a prescription one that he wanted her to take. He said he would want to follow her more frequently to monitor her esophageal status. About that time, Bill was brought back in and I could not eavesdrop anymore. I never saw the people, knew their names or whatever. This is the same place that identified Bill's EC. I do think this lady's problem, if any, is incipient, but the doctor was being careful. He was taking it seriously without being alarming. I pray she will followup as he requested. I appreciate this unknown doctor's sensitivity to his patient and awareness of possible medical concerns. I thought it strange that this unknown person would be encountering esophageal issues in the earshot of the room of a surviving esophageal cancer patient.
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Praise the Lord!!!
    Hello BMGky
    Great news! Thanks for posting. Now go out and celebrate. Live each day to its fullest.
    Tina in Va
  • linda1120
    linda1120 Member Posts: 389
    Great News
    I am so happy to hear the good report! We need these, don't we!

Linda