Do you have a port? Please tell me about it!

BioAdoptMom
BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
I am not sure what to ask, but mostly I guess, if you do, are you glad you got it? Has it caused you any problems? Does it make the chemo sessions painless? Anything else I should know? I really appreciate the wisdom of you experienced ladies (and men) on this board!

Thanks!

Nancy

Comments

• Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    I have a port
    I got my port in about 3 days after diagnosis. At first, it hurt and I thought I would rip it right out of my chest. But it eventually stopped hurting and I am so thankful for my "portal of life". It really has saved my veins through chemo and all of the blood draws that I've had to have. Every now and then I can feel it, but it doesn't cause any problems. On chemo days you can put a little bit of preparation H on the port site and cover it with gauze about an hour before treatment and/or you can also ask the nurse for an ice pack to place on the site for about 10 minutes before they access it. It makes it hurt less.

I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Dawne
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    Hi Nancy,
    Yes, yes, yes, I

Hi Nancy,

Yes, yes, yes, I am SOOOOO glad I got the port. It made both chemo infusions and blood draws so much easier. I didn't realize that chemo makes your veins very difficult to work with. I had always been an 'easy draw' for blood, but after chemo, not so much. With the port I had lidocaine cream applied 30 mins prior to the draw or infusion and whatever had to be done was pretty painless. I can't imagine if I had to have someone search for a vein for each infusion and blood draw. Its a little strange to have it implanted, but well worth it for me!
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    I had a port. I can't
    I had a port. I can't imagine having chemo without one. Getting it inserted wasn't painful, having it accessed was no more painful than any other needle prick, and it was super convenient. I never had any problems with it, and I saw patients in tears on more than one occasion in the infusion center because their veins got run down by the chemo & they had to face several sticks by nurses until they got into one.
    I'm sorry you have to have chemo, but I would definately look into getting a port. The convenience is worth it.
    *hugs*
    Heather
    ps-having it removed was a piece of cake also, i was awake for it & it only took 15 minutes or so. My mom's got a follow up with her breast surgeon next week & she's going to have hers removed too!
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941

I had a port. I can't
    I had a port. I can't imagine having chemo without one. Getting it inserted wasn't painful, having it accessed was no more painful than any other needle prick, and it was super convenient. I never had any problems with it, and I saw patients in tears on more than one occasion in the infusion center because their veins got run down by the chemo & they had to face several sticks by nurses until they got into one.
    I'm sorry you have to have chemo, but I would definately look into getting a port. The convenience is worth it.
    *hugs*
    Heather
    ps-having it removed was a piece of cake also, i was awake for it & it only took 15 minutes or so. My mom's got a follow up with her breast surgeon next week & she's going to have hers removed too!

I still have my port and am
    I still have my port and am so grateful for it. They do all my blood draws from it and all my chemo was administered thru it. So much easier than having someone poking you for a vein.
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    YES I had a port
    Hi Nancy,

I got my port about a week before I started chemo. I had 16 rounds of chemo and had a blood draw before each one. In addition, I got IV fluids a couple of times due to dehydration. The port was used for each and every one of the infusions, blood draws and IV fluids. I was IMMENSELY glad that I had the port. I have small, next-to-invisible veins and I cannot imagine being poked that many times with those tiny veins. When the chemo nurse accesses the port there is a sharp "stick" but in a minute that goes away and the chemo infusion itself is painless. They can spray the area with a lidocaine solution and that helps, also. You can also get a prescription for a lidocaine cream called Emla that you spread over the port area before the infusion and it numbs the area. My port was implanted in my upper left chest (mastectomy on the right side) at an outpatient surgery center under general anesthesia. It felt uncomfortable for a few days but you basically get used to it. I had the port removed about 3 months after my last chemo treatment when my oncologist said that he no longer had any use for it. The removal was done in the surgeon's office with only a local anesthetic. I drove myself home from the office after AAA came and unlocked my car - I left the keys in the ignition when I went into the office.

You CAN do this. Good luck. We will be rooting for you. IRENE
  • sunshine0406
    sunshine0406 Member Posts: 65
    best thing I did
    I love my port. I started chemo with no port and all the needle sticks were no fun. I have good veins for drawing blood but that is not the vain they want to use for chemo. I had to endure a bunch of sticks and came to really dread my chemo day, I even started having mild panic attacks before hand. I got it about 2 months into my treatment and really wish I had it done before I started. It does have an ache every now and then, mostly when my small kids hit it with their head or push on it every now and then but I LOVE it. I do not have to do anything before hand to numb it. I do feel the poke when it goes in and a bit when it comes out but it beats the repeated sticking trying to find the vain. Good luck to you.
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    love affair
    I LOVE my power port. There is a difference in ports so check that out. A firend had one that was more like a PIC line. Power ports are the way to go. Because they had problems inserting my port initially (some wierd vein structure or something) I had my first chemo without it and got the port the next day. In addition to the fun of finding the right vein there is scarring etc. when you go diretly into the vein. My port was used for all chemo and blood draws, and still is. The only time they couldn't use it was for the PET scan because of soemthing in the way that is done and anesthesiologist don't always like to use them so go for a vein instead. It was a little tender a first but doesn't bother me now unless one of the kittens launches from there. At first I drove with a little pillow over the site but not any more. I'ts one of the best things I ever did!
  • Hippiechick58
    Hippiechick58 Member Posts: 320
    skipper54 said:

love affair
    I LOVE my power port. There is a difference in ports so check that out. A firend had one that was more like a PIC line. Power ports are the way to go. Because they had problems inserting my port initially (some wierd vein structure or something) I had my first chemo without it and got the port the next day. In addition to the fun of finding the right vein there is scarring etc. when you go diretly into the vein. My port was used for all chemo and blood draws, and still is. The only time they couldn't use it was for the PET scan because of soemthing in the way that is done and anesthesiologist don't always like to use them so go for a vein instead. It was a little tender a first but doesn't bother me now unless one of the kittens launches from there. At first I drove with a little pillow over the site but not any more. I'ts one of the best things I ever did!

I finished chemo last month,
    I finished chemo last month, but my Onc wants my port to stay in for another six months. This does not bother me because it saved my veins! Mine is a bit difficult to access, as it is deep and twists at the last minute, but no pain involved. I agree with everyone here that a port is the way to go. Good luck and God Bless!

Dianne
  • Cinkal
    Cinkal Member Posts: 161
    I had my first chemo
    I had my first chemo infusion 9 days ago. I had the surgery the same day as the infusion. I got the port in the morning, and the infusion in the afternoon. I was worried about getting it the same day, but everything went fine. I didn't even need any pain meds after the surgery. My neck felt a little stiff for a couple days, but now I hardly know it is there.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Cinkal said:

I had my first chemo
    I had my first chemo infusion 9 days ago. I had the surgery the same day as the infusion. I got the port in the morning, and the infusion in the afternoon. I was worried about getting it the same day, but everything went fine. I didn't even need any pain meds after the surgery. My neck felt a little stiff for a couple days, but now I hardly know it is there.

No port here
    Hi, Nancy -

I did 4 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan without a port. My oncologist didn't feel one was necessary, because I have good veins, and was only doing 4 rounds. Having gone through it, I do still agree with him that it was the right decision for me.

If I had had problem veins, or were doing more than 4 rounds, I would have definitely have had a more serious conversation with him about getting a port.

Traci
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    I had port placement at the
    I had port placement at the same time I had mastectomy. I love my port. Call it my lucky button, and named it polly. lol I offically finished all treatment Sept 10'. Herceptin for a yr. Going to keep it for a few yrs. Not that Im thinking cancer will return, but its not in my way and go every 5-6 wks for flush. Not a big deal. I work just upstairs from the cancer center. Good luck,Katz
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    Yes!
    for chemo, the ports are great. I just had mine removed...but was so glad for chemo and blood draws to have it during treatment. I did get a 'power' port, the idea is that with a power port rather than standard port...they can do the pet scan injections too.....the line is thicker on the power ports,. BUT, only a RN can access the power port....and what I quickly discovered, no all imaging facilities had an RN available to do this, so they just used my veins instead........so I did not get much of a benefit for the choice. However, for chemo & blood draws it is so very convenient. Your surgeon can further discuss the choice with you.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    I love my power port. This
    I love my power port. This last week I went for an MRI and the tech insisted on an iv. He got it in, I told him that you can get a line in to draw blood but the vein will not support anything going in. He disregarded me. Then when he tried to run saline it collapsed. So then he got a nurse who accessed the port and it took about a minute!

I had chemo in 2002 and didn't have a port and it ruined my veins in my left arm and I had trouble every-time my veins needed to be accessed prior to my recurrence. My first chemo this time, it took 5 sticks before a usable vein was found, got the port the next morning!

Love, love, love the port!!
    ~Carol
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Nancy
    Like Traci, I did not have a port put in. I did discuss it with my doctor, and she didn't feel it was necessary. I had no problems with them using my veins for my 4 treatments.

If you normally have trouble with your veins it may be more worth it for you. It seems that most ladies that do get the port appreciate it, but needles have never really bothered me, and I've been a regular blood donor and never had problems with them finding a vein.

Best of luck with whatever you decide,
    Cindy
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I did 6 rounds of TAC
    I did 6 rounds of TAC without a port. I had no issues, the chemo nurses were all very good and never had to stick me more than once. After the very last round, a red spot about the size of a quarter appeared on the back of my hand. I put aquaphor on it all the time, and now it looks like a large age spot, and seems to be fading.

I hope this helps.

Linda
  • pscheer
    pscheer Member Posts: 56 Member
    port
    I had a port. It was under my skin and I loved having it under the skin. The onc nurses said mine was put in very well by the surgeon. If it's put in right, they can access it easy. It never hurt when they accessed it. It was just like a needle stick. I had mine 14 months, and had it removed one week after my last infusion.
  • BioAdoptMom
    BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
    pscheer said:

port
    I had a port. It was under my skin and I loved having it under the skin. The onc nurses said mine was put in very well by the surgeon. If it's put in right, they can access it easy. It never hurt when they accessed it. It was just like a needle stick. I had mine 14 months, and had it removed one week after my last infusion.

Thank you all for your
    Thank you all for your comments and excellent advice! I really appreciate your helpfulness here!

Nancy
  • candu
    candu Member Posts: 30
    port
    I am so happy that I got a port....it makes getting the chemo much easier. It isn't painful at all......and it does prevent your arms from getting poked with a needle each time you have chemo.
    Keep a positive attitude and you will go far!
    Candu
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    candu said:

port
    I am so happy that I got a port....it makes getting the chemo much easier. It isn't painful at all......and it does prevent your arms from getting poked with a needle each time you have chemo.
    Keep a positive attitude and you will go far!
    Candu

At first, the thought of having a port grossed me out
    but, I was so glad I had one. Mine was put in while I had my surgery for re-excision of the lumpectomy. It took a few days to get used to. I sort of freaked out every time I moved that shoulder (the port was under my right clavicle) and thought I would dislocate it or something. Every once in a while (like when I tried to sleep on that side or when I moved that arm) I'd feeling a pinch, but I got used to having it. It truly became one of my best friends. I had 6 rounds of TAC, numerous bloodwork, and a hospitalization in which I had to be on IV antibiotics for 5 days. That port was used every time and it was a blessing.

If given the choice, I'd go for the port.

Hugs, Renee
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    missrenee said:

At first, the thought of having a port grossed me out
    but, I was so glad I had one. Mine was put in while I had my surgery for re-excision of the lumpectomy. It took a few days to get used to. I sort of freaked out every time I moved that shoulder (the port was under my right clavicle) and thought I would dislocate it or something. Every once in a while (like when I tried to sleep on that side or when I moved that arm) I'd feeling a pinch, but I got used to having it. It truly became one of my best friends. I had 6 rounds of TAC, numerous bloodwork, and a hospitalization in which I had to be on IV antibiotics for 5 days. That port was used every time and it was a blessing.

If given the choice, I'd go for the port.

Hugs, Renee

power port believer here!
    I have one and am SO happy to! My veins are shot in November it took 3 hours and 3 nurses to even TRY to get an iv started. They ended up getting some special light deal and finally got it. When I had surgery in January I had my port accessed and they used it for the surgery SO MUCH EASIER hoping to do the same for my cataract surgery on the 18th. I dreaded the thought of getting the port, but very pleased I did. Chemo has been so easy with it. Sometimes it wants to fight on giving blood, but it usually gives in. I even have a "port" in my head for my other chemo treatments. I'm portfull LOL