Risk for BC

Options
forme
forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
Hi All,
I have never posted on your board, but do follow you all very often. I spend most of my time on the lymphoma board and a little time on the head/neck and thyroid boards.
My concern is risk. My sister had BC at age 41 and I also have an Aunt with BC. Since I have two different cancers, does that increase my risk. I am 56 and had rads which put me into early meno about 14 years ago. My biggest fear right now is getting a mamo, I think I'm just afraid to find out. Any thoughts on risk would be so helpful. Thanks so much.
Peaceful healing
Lisha

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisha! I wish I were an
    Hi Lisha! I wish I were an oncologist and could answer your question inre to your risk of having bc, but, I am not, and, won't even guess. I can tell you this, there is no one in my family, that I know of, that had bc before me. I was the first.

Haven't you had a mammogram yet?

The way I look at it is that I had a mammogram and an ultrasound that was then followed by a core biopsy, which showed I had bc. I had a lumpectomy and rads. I would rather have known when I did, as, my tumor was very small and I could have the lumpectomy and rads. With some bc's, if you wait, it can only get worse, and, I wouldn't want that. I prefer to face it head on as early as possible to mainly save my life.

Wishing you good luck if you decide to have a mammo.

Hugs, Leeza
  • forme
    Options
    jnl said:

Hi Lisha! I wish I were an
    Hi Lisha! I wish I were an oncologist and could answer your question inre to your risk of having bc, but, I am not, and, won't even guess. I can tell you this, there is no one in my family, that I know of, that had bc before me. I was the first.

Haven't you had a mammogram yet?

The way I look at it is that I had a mammogram and an ultrasound that was then followed by a core biopsy, which showed I had bc. I had a lumpectomy and rads. I would rather have known when I did, as, my tumor was very small and I could have the lumpectomy and rads. With some bc's, if you wait, it can only get worse, and, I wouldn't want that. I prefer to face it head on as early as possible to mainly save my life.

Wishing you good luck if you decide to have a mammo.

Hugs, Leeza

Long ago
    Hi Leeza,
    It has been a long time since I last had a mammo. Between tx for other cancers and life throwing me a lot of left curves, it just got put on the back burner. I know that I need to fit it in, just scared that it will be more than I really want to deal with. Thanks for your kind reply.
    Lisha
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    forme said:

Long ago
    Hi Leeza,
    It has been a long time since I last had a mammo. Between tx for other cancers and life throwing me a lot of left curves, it just got put on the back burner. I know that I need to fit it in, just scared that it will be more than I really want to deal with. Thanks for your kind reply.
    Lisha

I understand your fear!
    However, found early bc can be cured. You are carrying around a burden of worry which haunts you. Bite the bullet, have the test and get on with your life. I put off mine for years and when I finally went it was because of a necessary screening so I could donate my kidney. I doubt I would have gone until it was too late. It saved my life. My treatment was lumpectomy and radiation. Not fun but better than I expected. Please get the screening.

Roseann
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    risk factors?
    I was supposedly at low risk - no family history etc., yet here I sit recovering from rads, surgery & chemo. Better to get tested and deal with it early. The fear of the unknown is always the worst! None of this is as bad as I expected. AND my last PET scan was clear, so I've beaten the beast. If it comes to that you can too!
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    skipper54 said:

risk factors?
    I was supposedly at low risk - no family history etc., yet here I sit recovering from rads, surgery & chemo. Better to get tested and deal with it early. The fear of the unknown is always the worst! None of this is as bad as I expected. AND my last PET scan was clear, so I've beaten the beast. If it comes to that you can too!

Hey Lisha
    I think it's

Hey Lisha
    I think it's pretty normal to want to stick our heads in the sand and hope it will go away
    I ignored a sore spot for a year telling myself it was just a cyst....As it was it was a stage 2 tumor, but if I'd gone ahead and gotten it checked immediately it would have been stage 1 and I probably could have avoided a mastectomy. So the moral of the story is that the earlier you get a DX the better chance you have of getting through it. Even with stage 2, my cancer was completely treatable and most are. SO GET CHECKED!!!!!
    Dee
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    In addition to the annual
    In addition to the annual mammo be sure you are doing your monthly self exams. And your self exams should include a visual exam of your breasts as well. Any changes in your breast means you should be talking with your gyn. It's been said that you should be talking with your onc/gyn about any possible increase in your risk factors, but it is worth repeating.

As I see it, if you're doing these things you'll be able to eliminate or reduce your fear. You've already battled two different cancers and you're here to talk about it, so I know you have the strength to face this fear too.

Please come back and let us know how you do.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

In addition to the annual
    In addition to the annual mammo be sure you are doing your monthly self exams. And your self exams should include a visual exam of your breasts as well. Any changes in your breast means you should be talking with your gyn. It's been said that you should be talking with your onc/gyn about any possible increase in your risk factors, but it is worth repeating.

As I see it, if you're doing these things you'll be able to eliminate or reduce your fear. You've already battled two different cancers and you're here to talk about it, so I know you have the strength to face this fear too.

Please come back and let us know how you do.

Hugs,

Linda

Mammo
    Get a mammogram.You had 2 cancers and your sister and aunt had bc so you need to keep up on them. You have the gene.Don't let this go.

My mom was diagnosed at 21 my niece at 30 and me at 62(Aug 2009).So there is a high risk when others in the family have bc.I started with benign tumors since I was 20.I never in all those years let but 1 year slip by with exams by my bc surgeon or mammograms.Since it was over 40 years it was mainly exams by the surgeon and later mammos every year.I found one tumor and my husband found the another when I was in my 30's.The first 2 tumors(found by my breast surgeon after giving birth)was when I was 20.

When my cancer was diagnosed they found 1 malignant and 1 benign with the first surgery.Then 2 weeks later with the second surgery(to check margins) I found a tumor 2 days before that.It also was benign.But you can imagine the fear I had.

You must make a appt soon.Do so and let us know the results.

Lynn Smith
  • forme
    Options

Mammo
    Get a mammogram.You had 2 cancers and your sister and aunt had bc so you need to keep up on them. You have the gene.Don't let this go.

My mom was diagnosed at 21 my niece at 30 and me at 62(Aug 2009).So there is a high risk when others in the family have bc.I started with benign tumors since I was 20.I never in all those years let but 1 year slip by with exams by my bc surgeon or mammograms.Since it was over 40 years it was mainly exams by the surgeon and later mammos every year.I found one tumor and my husband found the another when I was in my 30's.The first 2 tumors(found by my breast surgeon after giving birth)was when I was 20.

When my cancer was diagnosed they found 1 malignant and 1 benign with the first surgery.Then 2 weeks later with the second surgery(to check margins) I found a tumor 2 days before that.It also was benign.But you can imagine the fear I had.

Lynn Smith

Thanks
    Hi All,
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, I know that I have been putting it off. I have spent so much time lately going to Drs and having scans, tests etc. that it really was just so easy to put it off.
    I will make the app. and let you all know how it goes.
    Did anyone ever have a sense that there was something wrong. I try to listen to myself, but these days fear gets in the way.
    Peaceful healing
    Lisha
  • BioAdoptMom
    BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
    Options
    forme said:

Thanks
    Hi All,
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, I know that I have been putting it off. I have spent so much time lately going to Drs and having scans, tests etc. that it really was just so easy to put it off.
    Did anyone ever have a sense that there was something wrong. I try to listen to myself, but these days fear gets in the way.
    Peaceful healing
    Lisha

I am glad you are going to
    I am glad you are going to make an appointment and get your mammo! When I had mine last December (09) nothing showed up. When I had one this December I was diagnosed with stage I BC. Had I waited another year or two it would have been a stage 2 or even a 3 since my tumor is the aggressive type. It makes all the difference to find out earlier! I have no family history, so you never know.

Nancy
  • em h
    em h Member Posts: 23
    Options

I am glad you are going to
    I am glad you are going to make an appointment and get your mammo! When I had mine last December (09) nothing showed up. When I had one this December I was diagnosed with stage I BC. Had I waited another year or two it would have been a stage 2 or even a 3 since my tumor is the aggressive type. It makes all the difference to find out earlier! I have no family history, so you never know.

Nancy

Lisha,
    Yes, before I found

Lisha,
    Yes, before I found the lump I knew that something was wrong with me. I wasn't sick exactly, but I didn't feel right, and I had a sense of dread about my body. It was even appearing in my dreams- I had recurring, detailed, boring dreams about trouble with the left side of my body. I once dreamed I was walking down a dirt road yelling "There's something wrong with my armpit!" When I found the lump I knew it was cancer, and I realized it had been with me for a while.

The problem now is I can't tell how much of my dread is reflective of my current situation. I have cancer, that's dreadful all right. That fear, along with the treatment, has me completely out of touch with my body.

I echo the sentiments here- get yourself checked out. I wish you the best.
  • cathyp
    cathyp Member Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    forme said:

Thanks
    Hi All,
    Peaceful healing
    Lisha

from another lymphoma survivor
    Lisha,

Did your sister or aunt have the BRAC testing done. If so, this could answer if there is a possible genetic risk for Breast Cancer. Also, where was your radiation treatment field? I was treated in the mantle region w/over 4 g's of rads for Hodgkins Lymphoma 21 years ago. You will find a lot of data regarding BC dx's 15-20 years out from radiation treatment. I was dx'd w/BC 18 years after my first bout of HL due to the radiation treatments.
    Best of luck w/your mammo. Hopefully, you will feel rejuvinated when you get a piece of good news for a change. Here's hoping for a benign test result, you deserve a break.
    Cathy
  • forme
    Options
    cathyp said:

from another lymphoma survivor
    Lisha,

Did your sister or aunt have the BRAC testing done. If so, this could answer if there is a possible genetic risk for Breast Cancer. Also, where was your radiation treatment field? I was treated in the mantle region w/over 4 g's of rads for Hodgkins Lymphoma 21 years ago. You will find a lot of data regarding BC dx's 15-20 years out from radiation treatment. I was dx'd w/BC 18 years after my first bout of HL due to the radiation treatments.
    Best of luck w/your mammo. Hopefully, you will feel rejuvinated when you get a piece of good news for a change. Here's hoping for a benign test result, you deserve a break.
    Cathy

Thanks
    Hi Cathy,
    Thanks, I am so hoping for a bit of positive news. Seems like all the news lately has been taking a toll on me.
    I do not think that they have had the testing done. My Aunt is in her 70s, but my sister was only 41.
    I am trying to stay positive but the waiting part is so hard.
    Hope your doing well..
    Lisha
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    The worry
    and Fear...

Today is all one can be sure of and that we are right here right now. I feel fortunate to have had my grandmother fight this disease before me because I was well prepared for my own fight and knew to check for lumps allowing me to find all my lumps even to this day.
    Living is Stressful and some how we have to learn to minimize them and that is the best we can do. Fear adds to the stress and anxiety of living our lives and we have to learn to cope with that and that has been a difficult thing for me even after all the years.
    I cannot imagine getting more cancers for more lumps has been enough to keep me entrenched in it.
    My only wish is we all can find peace in our souls and move on from it. Thanks you to the worriors of this site because one truly learns allot about the human spirit in us all.
    We are all glad you posted Lisha,
    Tara
  • forme
    Options
    24242 said:

The worry
    and Fear...

Today is all one can be sure of and that we are right here right now. I feel fortunate to have had my grandmother fight this disease before me because I was well prepared for my own fight and knew to check for lumps allowing me to find all my lumps even to this day.
    Living is Stressful and some how we have to learn to minimize them and that is the best we can do. Fear adds to the stress and anxiety of living our lives and we have to learn to cope with that and that has been a difficult thing for me even after all the years.
    I cannot imagine getting more cancers for more lumps has been enough to keep me entrenched in it.
    My only wish is we all can find peace in our souls and move on from it. Thanks you to the worriors of this site because one truly learns allot about the human spirit in us all.
    We are all glad you posted Lisha,
    Tara

Thank you
    Thank you Tara, your kind words are so true. I try to keep my fears under control, but there are days that seem to overwhelm me. I feel sure that I am more stressed as my next Dr app get closer. I have many more scans and tx ahead of me. I am happy that I found some wonderful Drs, just wish they were closer to home. I live in Calif and my Drs are at MD Anderson in Houston. Hopefully my cancers will remain in the watch and wait phase. And I am praying that my mammo will be fine. If not, then I will add it to my 'list' of cancers... I am not afraid of tx, just find it hard to wait.
    Peaceful healing
    Lisha
  • cathyp
    cathyp Member Posts: 376 Member
    Options

Mammo

Lynn Smith

Lynn,
    I just wanted to point

Lynn,

I just wanted to point out that you told Lisha she "has the gene". This is not correct. Her family members have not been tested, therefore there is no way of knowing if she carries the gene or not.
    I have had 2 cancers also, Hodgkins Lymphoma and Breast Cancer and I know for a fact, I do not "have the gene".

Cathy
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    forme said:

Thank you
    Thank you Tara, your kind words are so true. I try to keep my fears under control, but there are days that seem to overwhelm me. I feel sure that I am more stressed as my next Dr app get closer. I have many more scans and tx ahead of me. I am happy that I found some wonderful Drs, just wish they were closer to home. I live in Calif and my Drs are at MD Anderson in Houston. Hopefully my cancers will remain in the watch and wait phase. And I am praying that my mammo will be fine. If not, then I will add it to my 'list' of cancers... I am not afraid of tx, just find it hard to wait.
    Peaceful healing
    Lisha

Praying that your mammo will
    Praying that your mammo will be clean! Please update us.

Hugs, Angie
  • forme
    Options
    Angie2U said:

Praying that your mammo will
    Praying that your mammo will be clean! Please update us.

Hugs, Angie

Thanks
    Hi Angie,
    You all have been so great. So helpful and full of wisdom. I'll be sure to let you all know the latest outcome. Thanks so much..
    Lisha