Chemo in the hospital?

Kenny H.
Kenny H. Member Posts: 502 Member
Well I finally get to my 12th round (folfox 5fu) and my Onc dr called me last friday to ask If I would mind doing this treatment in the hospital!

Explained ins. (blue cross) would now only pay 3k of the the $4500 drug expense. Either I would have to pay the difference or he could admit me to hosp for entire treatment and it would all be covered not costing me anything but the reg deductable!
What gets me is never any problems with prev 11 other treatments.

Since not currently working Im going into the hosp for 3 days. Unreal, will cost the ins co more now. Dont know if Obamacare has anything to do with it or not, just thought id pass this info on.

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

What i don't understand is why is cheaper at hospital
    than at home, no sense don't you think?
    Hugs Kenny just be patient is the last!
  • pepebcn said:

What i don't understand is why is cheaper at hospital
    than at home, no sense don't you think?
    Hugs Kenny just be patient is the last!

• pepebcn
    unknown said:

Graci that,s what i mean Why? as I don't think by going to the
    hospital insurance saves any money ,totally the opposite ,it will be much more expensive for them , so why to pay an extra to do it at home when logically it's cheaper and more comfortable to everybody ?.
    Not sense! Also what a nightmare to Kenny 3 days in the hospital!.
    Well the good thing is that is the last one! That's awesome! Go Kenny !!
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn said:

Graci that,s what i mean Why? as I don't think by going to the
    hospital insurance saves any money ,totally the opposite ,it will be much more expensive for them , so why to pay an extra to do it at home when logically it's cheaper and more comfortable to everybody ?.
    Not sense! Also what a nightmare to Kenny 3 days in the hospital!.
    Well the good thing is that is the last one! That's awesome! Go Kenny !!

I know.... may be they got a surprise party to celebrate your
    last round! Hahahaha! Nice nurses and so!
  • kluong
    kluong Member Posts: 23
    Same with us
    We have the same experience. We have United Health PPO and was told that our insurance would not cover his radiation unless it was in patient as oppose to out patient. Our Radiologist thought it was strange and said that our insurance would probably cover it if he does some fancy talk/coding on his end. I am thinking he means that the insurance company are questioning certain treatments and need clarification from doctors.

Furthermore, my hubby has chemo every week. He has 3 day infusion on the 1st and 3rd week and half day infusion on 2nd and 4th week. He prefers to be in the hospital because he is more comfortable and they have more drugs to counter act his nausea and pain.

Kim
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Kenny:
    When George first started chemo, the oncologist had to get approval for him to receive treatments at the doctor's oncology clinic rather than the hospital. Some insurance companies do not cover treatment at the doctor's office, only at the hospital. Don't know why. We had no problem and were approved for the doc's office.

Never heard of having to be in-patient for 3 days to receive chemo. More than likely you will get your treatment at the hospital and then be sent home. When George was on Folfox, his treatment was over 2 days not just 1 returning day 3 to get the pump off.

Best wishes - Tina
  • Kenny H.
    Kenny H. Member Posts: 502 Member
    geotina said:

Kenny:
    When George first started chemo, the oncologist had to get approval for him to receive treatments at the doctor's oncology clinic rather than the hospital. Some insurance companies do not cover treatment at the doctor's office, only at the hospital. Don't know why. We had no problem and were approved for the doc's office.

Never heard of having to be in-patient for 3 days to receive chemo. More than likely you will get your treatment at the hospital and then be sent home. When George was on Folfox, his treatment was over 2 days not just 1 returning day 3 to get the pump off.

Best wishes - Tina

Will find out more tomorrow
    Will find out more tomorrow when I go there. Gets me was did all 11 treatments at clinic and home now this....Oh well, have time on my hands. Hope the food is good.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    That's weird
    I don't understand what the heck this is all about, but just wanted to wish you well with the treatment.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • tootsie1 said:

That's weird
    I don't understand what the heck this is all about, but just wanted to wish you well with the treatment.

*hugs*
    Gail

• pepebcn
    unknown said:

Not understand what's on there, never hear this problem here
    neither shortage of leucovorin! I asked today abut the shortage to my doc. and not problem in here, seems is a local problem in the US!
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    unknown said:

crazy
    It sure sounds crazy to me & why an insurance company would insist on something that is going to cost them more makes no sense! My insurance has been giving trouble lately. My oncology office informed me last week that Health Net (who approved my off label Gemzar for the past year through this March & is supposed to renew it again)- well, they haven't paid any of the Gemzar to the oncology office since Sept 2010! The lady in the financial office at the onc office asked me last time if I'd consider paying cash and then try to get reimbursed. I told her I can't do that & if they really haven't received payment since Sept, they need to fight harder. We have the letter approving the treatment- they can't approve it and then not pay it- they're obligated to.
    I'm worried they may come and not approve the Gemzar anymore now. No fun!

Kenny, I hope your hospital stay for the chemo goes well- I guess you can just go with it and relax while you're there. Let us know afterwards how it went!

Lisa
  • lisa42 said:

crazy
    It sure sounds crazy to me & why an insurance company would insist on something that is going to cost them more makes no sense! My insurance has been giving trouble lately. My oncology office informed me last week that Health Net (who approved my off label Gemzar for the past year through this March & is supposed to renew it again)- well, they haven't paid any of the Gemzar to the oncology office since Sept 2010! The lady in the financial office at the onc office asked me last time if I'd consider paying cash and then try to get reimbursed. I told her I can't do that & if they really haven't received payment since Sept, they need to fight harder. We have the letter approving the treatment- they can't approve it and then not pay it- they're obligated to.
    I'm worried they may come and not approve the Gemzar anymore now. No fun!

Kenny, I hope your hospital stay for the chemo goes well- I guess you can just go with it and relax while you're there. Let us know afterwards how it went!

Lisa

• Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Kenny
    Sorry about you having to stay in the hospital for 3 days to get it .... BUT ... Congratulations on #12!