cyberknife after whole brain radiatio

rexalloy
rexalloy Member Posts: 1
I need some information on side effects of cyberknife after whole brain radiation. I'm hearing that there could be somepretty bad swelling. Can anyone give me more information?

Comments

• Rory1987
    Rory1987 Member Posts: 120
    from what i've read there
    from what i've read there can be swelling and headaches and long term side-effects may include Radionecrosis (rare though about 3%)
  • DistancerunnerXC
    DistancerunnerXC Member Posts: 44
    Rory1987 said:

from what i've read there
    from what i've read there can be swelling and headaches and long term side-effects may include Radionecrosis (rare though about 3%)

Whole brain radiation
    I wonder why they would use cyberknife to get the tumor, then whole brain radiation?
    The whole point of cyberknife is to damage as little of the healthy brain tissue as possible, but then the whole brain radiation damages much more the healthy tissue than that.
    I wonder if they could use the cyberknife, then use some sort of "targeted" radiation therapy so as to reduce that possibility.
    I read that radiation necrosis affects from 11 to 50% of those receiving whole brain radiation treatment.
    My wifes was targeted and she still fell victim to radiation necrosis.
    It is WORSE than the cancer.
    Ask alot of questions about this radiation therapy.
    I did not and I suffer as a caregiver daily with that oversight.
  • Rory1987
    Rory1987 Member Posts: 120

Whole brain radiation
    I wonder why they would use cyberknife to get the tumor, then whole brain radiation?
    The whole point of cyberknife is to damage as little of the healthy brain tissue as possible, but then the whole brain radiation damages much more the healthy tissue than that.
    I wonder if they could use the cyberknife, then use some sort of "targeted" radiation therapy so as to reduce that possibility.
    I read that radiation necrosis affects from 11 to 50% of those receiving whole brain radiation treatment.
    My wifes was targeted and she still fell victim to radiation necrosis.
    It is WORSE than the cancer.
    Ask alot of questions about this radiation therapy.
    I did not and I suffer as a caregiver daily with that oversight.

WBRT
    Most rad onc use wbr as prophylaxis to prevent the "seeds" from growing into tumors.
    From what i've read the risk of radiation necrosis increases with chemotherapy and age above 50 years old