Solution to one neuropathy problem....

abrub
abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
I've had problems with my hands, particularly driving, since chemo (Folfox). Gripping the steering wheel is painful. However, I recently purchased a sheepskin wheel cover, and I've had no problems since. I hadn't realized how effective it was until my husband pulled the cover off (he was driving my car a long distance, and hates the feel of the sheepskin.) I forgot to put the cover back on, and was in agony after a 1/2 hour drive. It was then I realized that I'd gone the past few months without any hand problems.

Just thought I'd share what is working for me....

Comments

• pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    thanks abrub
    Great suggestion,

thanks for caring,

Pete
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Alice, that should help a few people. I used to drive with just the point in my hand between my thumb and index finger, doesn't make for great driving.
    Wonderful suggestion and worth a try.
    Winter Marie
  • pete43lost_at_sea

Thanks
    Thanks Alice, that should help a few people. I used to drive with just the point in my hand between my thumb and index finger, doesn't make for great driving.
    Wonderful suggestion and worth a try.
    Winter Marie

I am trying vitamin b complex to help
    anyone had any luck with vitamin b complex.

http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab004573.html
    Summary
    Vitamin B for treating disorders of the peripheral nerves
    Peripheral neuropathy is a disorder of the peripheral nerves resulting from different causes, such as diabetes mellitus and alcoholism, leading to pain, numbness or weakness of the limbs and other problems. Vitamin B is commonly used to treat peripheral neuropathy but it is not clear if it helps. This review of 13 trials on diabetic and alcoholic peripheral neuropathy with a total of 741 participants showed only one study that suggested possible short-term benefit from eight-week treatment with benfotiamine (a derivative of vitamin B1) with slightly greater improvement in vibration perception threshold compared to placebo. Vitamin B complex when given in a higher dose administered for four weeks was more efficacious than a lower dose in reducing pain and other clinical problems based on another study. Two to eight weeks of treatment with vitamin B was less efficacious than alpha-lipoic acid, cilostazol or cytidine triphosphate in short-term improvement of clinical and nerve test findings. All these findings require confirmation in larger studies before they can be accepted as definite. Vitamin B is generally well-tolerated with only a few reports of mild side effects.
    http://www.aegis.com/factshts/network/simple/neurop.html
    ||||| Nutrients and peripheral neuropathy:
    While nutrients and vitamin supplements haven't been studied the way other drugs have been as treatments for peripheral neuropathy, there are some things you can do yourself that may help with symptoms. Many of the B vitamins have been found to help with symptoms of peripheral neuropathy, although high levels of B6 may worsen symptoms. The ones that are helpful are B1, B12 and folate. Try taking a multivitamin with vitamin E in it, and a B complex to help with symptoms of peripheral neuropathy. Make sure the B complex, sometimes called a vitamin B stress complex, has folate in it. Vitamin B12 can also be given by shots into a muscle every couple of weeks, and this probably gets more vitamin B12 into the body than vitamin pills. Drinking alcohol can block how your body uses folate and vitamin B12.
    Other supplements that have shown some effect on neuropathy include magnesium, alpha-lipoic acid (also known as thioctic acid) and gamma linolenic acid (GLA). One study used a diet high in a nutrient called inositol, which is found in cantaloupe, peanuts, grapefruit and whole grains. These nutrients have been studied in diabetic neuropathy, which is thought to be similar to HIV-related neuropathy.
    ||||| On-going studies:
    A study of a topical cream called Lidoderm at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York reported promising results, but a larger study needs to confirm the findings. A treatment called nerve growth factor (NGF) was also being studied for the treatment of peripheral neuropathy, but these studies have now been stopped. Although some people have reported very good results with NGF, the company that makes it (Genentech) has decided to stop any further development of the drug. A new promising drug memantine is still in clinical trials. It has shown significant possibilities for pain reduction, particularly for nocturnal pain. Memantine (Axura) has been approved for the treatment of Alzheimer's in Europe, and has filed for approval with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. A pilot study of the safety, toxicity, and tolerability of Acetyl-L-Carnitine in the treatment of peripheral neuropathy is scheduled to open in the Fall of 2002.
  • herdizziness

Summary
    Peripheral neuropathy is a disorder of the peripheral nerves resulting from different causes, such as diabetes mellitus and alcoholism, leading to pain, numbness or weakness of the limbs and other problems. Vitamin B is commonly used to treat peripheral neuropathy but it is not clear if it helps. This review of 13 trials on diabetic and alcoholic peripheral neuropathy with a total of 741 participants showed only one study that suggested possible short-term benefit from eight-week treatment with benfotiamine (a derivative of vitamin B1) with slightly greater improvement in vibration perception threshold compared to placebo. Vitamin B complex when given in a higher dose administered for four weeks was more efficacious than a lower dose in reducing pain and other clinical problems based on another study. Two to eight weeks of treatment with vitamin B was less efficacious than alpha-lipoic acid, cilostazol or cytidine triphosphate in short-term improvement of clinical and nerve test findings. All these findings require confirmation in larger studies before they can be accepted as definite. Vitamin B is generally well-tolerated with only a few reports of mild side effects.
    While nutrients and vitamin supplements haven't been studied the way other drugs have been as treatments for peripheral neuropathy, there are some things you can do yourself that may help with symptoms. Many of the B vitamins have been found to help with symptoms of peripheral neuropathy, although high levels of B6 may worsen symptoms. The ones that are helpful are B1, B12 and folate. Try taking a multivitamin with vitamin E in it, and a B complex to help with symptoms of peripheral neuropathy. Make sure the B complex, sometimes called a vitamin B stress complex, has folate in it. Vitamin B12 can also be given by shots into a muscle every couple of weeks, and this probably gets more vitamin B12 into the body than vitamin pills. Drinking alcohol can block how your body uses folate and vitamin B12.
    Other supplements that have shown some effect on neuropathy include magnesium, alpha-lipoic acid (also known as thioctic acid) and gamma linolenic acid (GLA). One study used a diet high in a nutrient called inositol, which is found in cantaloupe, peanuts, grapefruit and whole grains. These nutrients have been studied in diabetic neuropathy, which is thought to be similar to HIV-related neuropathy.
    ||||| On-going studies:
    A study of a topical cream called Lidoderm at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York reported promising results, but a larger study needs to confirm the findings. A treatment called nerve growth factor (NGF) was also being studied for the treatment of peripheral neuropathy, but these studies have now been stopped. Although some people have reported very good results with NGF, the company that makes it (Genentech) has decided to stop any further development of the drug. A new promising drug memantine is still in clinical trials. It has shown significant possibilities for pain reduction, particularly for nocturnal pain. Memantine (Axura) has been approved for the treatment of Alzheimer's in Europe, and has filed for approval with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. A pilot study of the safety, toxicity, and tolerability of Acetyl-L-Carnitine in the treatment of peripheral neuropathy is scheduled to open in the Fall of 2002.

Pete, Pete, Pete
    Common language dear, common language, you and buckwirth are so technical, please explain in American English so I might understand? Simplify for us blonds?
    Okay, since my bones have been hurting for the past 4 weeks and I have been having to take something I dread, pain pills, it may have something to do with my wanting simpler language.
    Gee did I mention I'm scared of bone pains? Very scared? Cancer sucks.
    Winter Marie
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member

Pete, Pete, Pete
    Common language dear, common language, you and buckwirth are so technical, please explain in American English so I might understand? Simplify for us blonds?
    Okay, since my bones have been hurting for the past 4 weeks and I have been having to take something I dread, pain pills, it may have something to do with my wanting simpler language.
    Winter Marie

bone and joint pains
    Hi Winter marie,

I just read your reply and the bone pains caught my attention. Something for you to try... increase your intake of potassium, magnesium and calcium. My naturopathic dr has me on highly absorbable forms of these minerals, in addition to many other things. Interestingly, though, I was out of these particular minerals from him for the past 2-1/2 weeks before my office visit with him last week. I never put two and two together until he mentioned it at our visit. My knees and feet had been absolutely killing me for the prior couple of weeks. I mentioned it to him and he said it's probably because I was out of the minerals. I wasn't so sure about that, but lo and behold, two days after getting back on them my knees and feet don't hurt anymore!

Most forms of calcium supplements you get in the stores are calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate does not absorb well at all. Calcium citrate absorbs better.
    The best form of it is calcium orotate. I haven't been able to find that in stores- just online and with the ND. He has me taking two potassium and four calcium orotate pills before breakfast and again before dinner. I swear it really seems to make a difference.

Something to consider, as I don't believe it can hurt in any way- why not try?

Just a suggestion- talk over w/ your onc about it,and mention to him how many believe that chemo zaps the body of these minerals, which is why so many people suffer bone and joint aches and pains during and following chemo.

Best wishes!
    Lisa
  • pete43lost_at_sea

Pete, Pete, Pete
    Winter Marie

sorry winter , here goes again
    dear winter marie

my numbness is getting worse.

just as this post started out about peripheral neuropathy I thought I'd see if anyone had tried using vitamin b complex to help. my naturopath recommended this and some other goodies I'll get soon. I am taking it, just wondering.

the link above has some discussion thats not conclusive but indicates some hope.

if blonde is low tech then is bald high tech LOL

glad your here.

love ,
    Pete
  • herdizziness

sorry winter , here goes again
    dear winter marie

my numbness is getting worse.

just as this post started out about peripheral neuropathy I thought I'd see if anyone had tried using vitamin b complex to help. my naturopath recommended this and some other goodies I'll get soon. I am taking it, just wondering.

the link above has some discussion thats not conclusive but indicates some hope.

if blonde is low tech then is bald high tech LOL

glad your here.

love ,
    Pete

Ahhh, my balding Pete
    So, cool, what is a natural vitamin B complex? I don't believe in pills for a fix all, but if there's a natural way to do it, I'm more then willing. So I'm asking to pick your brain on this question of a natural vitamin B complex.
    Winter Marie
  • pete43lost_at_sea

Ahhh, my balding Pete
    So, cool, what is a natural vitamin B complex? I don't believe in pills for a fix all, but if there's a natural way to do it, I'm more then willing. So I'm asking to pick your brain on this question of a natural vitamin B complex.
    Winter Marie

here is the natural way
    hi winter marie,

Vitamin B Rich Foods
    The vitamin B family has many benefits; so including vitamin B rich foods is always a smart move when planning your diet. In addition to being an immune system booster, keeping the brain in shape and maintaining healthy skin, recent research shows vitamin B can even aid in weight loss efforts.

Foods High in B VitaminsWhy Vitamin B Is Important
    Vitamin B, is actually a whole family of closely related, yet distinctly different vitamins. The vitamin B complex, as it is called, consists of vitamin B1 (aka Thiamin), B2 (aka Riboflavin), B3 (aka Niacin), B5 (aka Pantothenic Acid), B6 and B12.

Ads by Google

Compare Vitamin Prices - Get the Best Deal on Vitamins. Compare Prices from 100s of Stores. www.GetPrice.com.au/Vitamins

Thyroid Not Working? - Recharge Your Thyroid with Iodine Safe & Easy, No Doctor Visit Needed 1-Thyroid.com/AU

WholeHealth Official Site - Save on all nutritional supplements We Ship to Oz Daily, RealTime Quote www.WholeHealth.com/_Save_More
    The benefits include prevention of anemia, diabetes and heart disease, and help the preservation of the skin, nervous system and mental clarity. It is also a potent digestive system aid and immunity booster, which accelerates wound healing and may even have cancer-fighting properties thanks to the anti-free radical effects of vitamin B2.

On the flip side, a vitamin B complex deficit may bring about ailments like the nervous system disorder Berberi, cracked lips and other mouth problems, sensitivity to sunlight, acne, anemia, bloating, skin problems, fatigue, diarrhea, depression and neural damage. It should also be noted that it is virtually impossible to overdose on vitamin B to the point of seeing any kind of ill effects thereof, making it all the more of a no-brainer to play it safe when it comes to your vitamin B intake.

Vitamin B Rich Foods
    Some members of the vitamin B family are especially common as vitamin fortification in everyday foods. Vitamin B12 in particular, since it appears as an additive in everything from granola bars and TV-dinners to practically every single product in the cereal aisle. Others require a little more digging, but here are some sure bets in terms of vitamin B content:

•Liver
    •Beef
    •Tuna
    •Oats
    •Turkey
    •Brazil nuts
    •Bananas
    •Potatoes
    •Avocados
    •Legumes
    •Kefir

enjoy,

Pete
  • herdizziness
    lisa42 said:

bone and joint pains
    Hi Winter marie,

I just read your reply and the bone pains caught my attention. Something for you to try... increase your intake of potassium, magnesium and calcium. My naturopathic dr has me on highly absorbable forms of these minerals, in addition to many other things. Interestingly, though, I was out of these particular minerals from him for the past 2-1/2 weeks before my office visit with him last week. I never put two and two together until he mentioned it at our visit. My knees and feet had been absolutely killing me for the prior couple of weeks. I mentioned it to him and he said it's probably because I was out of the minerals. I wasn't so sure about that, but lo and behold, two days after getting back on them my knees and feet don't hurt anymore!

Most forms of calcium supplements you get in the stores are calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate does not absorb well at all. Calcium citrate absorbs better.
    The best form of it is calcium orotate. I haven't been able to find that in stores- just online and with the ND. He has me taking two potassium and four calcium orotate pills before breakfast and again before dinner. I swear it really seems to make a difference.

Just a suggestion- talk over w/ your onc about it,and mention to him how many believe that chemo zaps the body of these minerals, which is why so many people suffer bone and joint aches and pains during and following chemo.

Best wishes!
    Lisa

Lisa
    Thanks, I've been fearing the worst, and to voice them has been awful for me. But when I read your reply I realize that WOW, I have reduced my milk (calcium) intake, that I haven't been eating my banana (potassium) a day, that perhaps that has maybe affected me. I'm into natural crapola not supplements, go figure, and you have brought to my attention that I have been neglecting that side of my nutrition and needs for my body.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, this is why the discussion board is so important, to understand what works, what doesn't, and I'm thinking your suggestions will work, now if I just knew what magnesium does for one and what it's natural supplement is, I think I'd be in fat city about now.
    Winter Marie
  • herdizziness

here is the natural way
    hi winter marie,

Vitamin B Rich Foods
    The vitamin B family has many benefits; so including vitamin B rich foods is always a smart move when planning your diet. In addition to being an immune system booster, keeping the brain in shape and maintaining healthy skin, recent research shows vitamin B can even aid in weight loss efforts.

Foods High in B VitaminsWhy Vitamin B Is Important
    Vitamin B, is actually a whole family of closely related, yet distinctly different vitamins. The vitamin B complex, as it is called, consists of vitamin B1 (aka Thiamin), B2 (aka Riboflavin), B3 (aka Niacin), B5 (aka Pantothenic Acid), B6 and B12.

Ads by Google

Compare Vitamin Prices - Get the Best Deal on Vitamins. Compare Prices from 100s of Stores. www.GetPrice.com.au/Vitamins

Thyroid Not Working? - Recharge Your Thyroid with Iodine Safe & Easy, No Doctor Visit Needed 1-Thyroid.com/AU

WholeHealth Official Site - Save on all nutritional supplements We Ship to Oz Daily, RealTime Quote www.WholeHealth.com/_Save_More
    The benefits include prevention of anemia, diabetes and heart disease, and help the preservation of the skin, nervous system and mental clarity. It is also a potent digestive system aid and immunity booster, which accelerates wound healing and may even have cancer-fighting properties thanks to the anti-free radical effects of vitamin B2.

On the flip side, a vitamin B complex deficit may bring about ailments like the nervous system disorder Berberi, cracked lips and other mouth problems, sensitivity to sunlight, acne, anemia, bloating, skin problems, fatigue, diarrhea, depression and neural damage. It should also be noted that it is virtually impossible to overdose on vitamin B to the point of seeing any kind of ill effects thereof, making it all the more of a no-brainer to play it safe when it comes to your vitamin B intake.

Vitamin B Rich Foods
    Some members of the vitamin B family are especially common as vitamin fortification in everyday foods. Vitamin B12 in particular, since it appears as an additive in everything from granola bars and TV-dinners to practically every single product in the cereal aisle. Others require a little more digging, but here are some sure bets in terms of vitamin B content:

•Liver
    •Beef
    •Tuna
    •Oats
    •Turkey
    •Brazil nuts
    •Bananas
    •Potatoes
    •Avocados
    •Legumes
    •Kefir

enjoy,

Pete

Pete, Pete, Pete
    I love you, I can't help it. I love avocados, I love black beans, I love potatoes, I love bananas, I love Liver, I love Tuna, I love Beef, so is it okay to tell my son to take his chicken that he insists I must eat and STUFF IT???
    Love you, love the diet equally.
    Winter Marie
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member

Pete, Pete, Pete
    I love you, I can't help it. I love avocados, I love black beans, I love potatoes, I love bananas, I love Liver, I love Tuna, I love Beef, so is it okay to tell my son to take his chicken that he insists I must eat and STUFF IT???
    Love you, love the diet equally.
    Winter Marie

After having a liver
    After having a liver resection...I could never eat liver again!! And just think, the liver works to get toxins out of our body, how many toxins can that cow's liver have! Agh!

No debates, just saying....I CAN"T DO IT! lol
  • tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Nana b said:

After having a liver
    After having a liver resection...I could never eat liver again!! And just think, the liver works to get toxins out of our body, how many toxins can that cow's liver have! Agh!

No debates, just saying....I CAN"T DO IT! lol

chicken livered
    Both of us have noticed some craving for mildly seared (chicken) liver for our times with gut related issues, something we had never desired or ordered before. My wife while on oral chemo. With raw onion.
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Rick is searching for

Rick is searching for sheepskin wheel covers as I type this - THANK YOU!! :-)
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member

Rick is searching for

Rick is searching for sheepskin wheel covers as I type this - THANK YOU!! :-)

I ordered mine
    from Amazon. (Got a sheepskin seat cover, because leather is either too hot or too cold, and a sheepskin seatbelt cover to protect my neck while I was at it.)

I hope the sheepskin helps!

Alice
  • Nana2
    Nana2 Member Posts: 255

Summary
    ||||| On-going studies:

Jim was put on the Acetyl
    Jim was put on the Acetyl L-Carnitine powder a few weeks ago at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America along with vitamin B6 100mg three times a day and Vitamin D-3 1000 IU three times daily. Will let you know if it helps.
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    lisa42 said:

bone and joint pains
    Hi Winter marie,

Best wishes!
    Lisa

Hi Lisa,
    I just became a CSN member. Prior, i had been reading about Dr. Cantrell's treatment. I was so glad to find you today. I had been reading 12/09 posts that you had a consultation with him. I was so wondering about your results and what have you been doing since. I was diagnosed stage 4 colon cancer with 15 tumors in the liver. I am just beginning chemo on Tuesday with Avastin and Folfox...? I have been so depressed. It sounds like like you have to be on chemo forever, and the cancer just keeps coming back. Dr. Cantrell's treatment sounds interesting. What type of cancer did you have? Thanks for your help. I live in Atlanta.