Does this make sense to any of you BC experienced folks?

BioAdoptMom
BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
Maybe I just don't get it, but here goes. All 3 doctors (surgeon, MO and RO) have agreed that if I need chemo it will come before rads (waiting on my OT DX right now). We like and feel comfortable with all 3. DH and I met the RO several weeks ago for a consultation and met the MO yesterday. Well, the RO wants us to come in for another consult (they said this, just to talk) but I don't see the point yet. I will not know my Oncotype until 4/19 and therefore don't even know if I am going to have chemo yet. If I do, that will be 9 weeks, then I understand it will be about a month after that before I start rads. So, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to wait for the 2nd consult with the RO until after I at least know my chemo status? I told the receptionist this yesterday and again today and she talked with his nurse. She called me back and for the second day in a row says he insists that he needs to see me next week so I made the appointment. Why? Is there some reason I don't know about that he would need to see me at this point?

Nancy

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Your rads oncologist
    Your rads oncologist probably just wants to go over some more stuff with you about your treatment. Possibly, in the case that you don't need chemo, he wants to let you know what will be happening inre to your planning and everything else that goes with rads. I see no harm in going. Do you?

I would rather my doctors be overly cautious with me, then not.

Good luck,

Leeza
  • BioAdoptMom
    jnl said:

Your rads oncologist
    Your rads oncologist probably just wants to go over some more stuff with you about your treatment. Possibly, in the case that you don't need chemo, he wants to let you know what will be happening inre to your planning and everything else that goes with rads. I see no harm in going. Do you?

I would rather my doctors be overly cautious with me, then not.

Good luck,

Leeza

Your answer does make total
    Your answer does make total sense to me, however we have already done this. He spent an hour and a half with me and DH about 2 weeks prior to my lumpectomy, back in early February and went over everything from what is and isn't involved in the treatments, to how long, to what cream to use, etc. They already told me on the phone they won't be doing anything different, he just wants to talk with us. Oh well, we'll just go and see what he has to say.

Nancy
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Your answer does make total
    Your answer does make total sense to me, however we have already done this. He spent an hour and a half with me and DH about 2 weeks prior to my lumpectomy, back in early February and went over everything from what is and isn't involved in the treatments, to how long, to what cream to use, etc. They already told me on the phone they won't be doing anything different, he just wants to talk with us. Oh well, we'll just go and see what he has to say.

Nancy

If it doesn't make sense to
    If it doesn't make sense to you, why don't you call and insist on knowing why he is wanting you to come back. They should be able to tell you what the "talk" is about. I never question either if one of my doctor's want to see me. I assume they are only looking out for me and my treatment. But, if this has you concerned, get a reason for it.

Jan
  • BioAdoptMom

If it doesn't make sense to
    If it doesn't make sense to you, why don't you call and insist on knowing why he is wanting you to come back. They should be able to tell you what the "talk" is about. I never question either if one of my doctor's want to see me. I assume they are only looking out for me and my treatment. But, if this has you concerned, get a reason for it.

Jan

Thanks for your reply. I am
    Thanks for your reply. I am really not overly concerned, just don't understand the reason. I did call and ask if I could wait till after my Oncotype came back and his nurse called me back and insisted he does want to see me even though it won't even be back yet this coming Friday. It just seems like a waste of $20 (could be a lot more I know) and precious time. If I do have chemo I know I will have to do the same thing again about 4 months from now. Every time I go to a doctor I have to get someone to cover my class, write sub plans, etc. and it's a pain. To save my life, I'll do just about anything, but in my mind this particular visit seems so unnecessary. I felt kind of silly asking about this on this board, but I thought maybe others have done the same thing and could justify it. Oh well! We do what we have to do, right?

Nancy
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Thanks for your reply. I am
    Thanks for your reply. I am really not overly concerned, just don't understand the reason. I did call and ask if I could wait till after my Oncotype came back and his nurse called me back and insisted he does want to see me even though it won't even be back yet this coming Friday. It just seems like a waste of $20 (could be a lot more I know) and precious time. If I do have chemo I know I will have to do the same thing again about 4 months from now. Every time I go to a doctor I have to get someone to cover my class, write sub plans, etc. and it's a pain. To save my life, I'll do just about anything, but in my mind this particular visit seems so unnecessary. I felt kind of silly asking about this on this board, but I thought maybe others have done the same thing and could justify it. Oh well! We do what we have to do, right?

Nancy

he is probably going on
    he is probably going on vacation and thats when he can see you. they change things around for a variety of reasons. P.s. since it isnat necessary yet you can always say no.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    We're all different and our Drs are different too!
    There was a mix up when I wa first DX'd and I got sent to the Rads before Chemo (Rad DDr tried to get them (VA) to change the order and send me straight to Chemo but they refused so I saw him on Tuesday (the day after first seeing my Surgeon) and then saw Chemo the next day. I saw him 3 more times before starting Rads. I'm IBC and there was no hope of getting all of it IF Chemo hadn't shrunk it and given margins. So anywho - Rad Dr wanted to see me after the end of A/C so he could know first hand the differences froom before neo-Adjunct Chemo to after neo-Adjunct Chemo so I saw him in the 2 weeks between last A/C and Surgery. I also saw him during the 3 weeks post Mod. Rad. Mast. and the start of 12 weekly Taxol. I saw him the day of my last Taxol - actually before i was scheduled to be in for it but he wanted another CT scan and so they got the infusion pushed back long enough for me to go upstairs to the hospital for the CT (The JTV Cancer Care Institue is off of the side of our Regional Hospital) i saw him again later that week and then started Rads one week froom the last Taxol. Also started Femara about a week after the first Rad.

We are different, our cancers are different AND our Drs are different. Personally anytime one of my Drs say they think they need to see me - I'm going as they have a reason rather i understand it or not. Now my Rad Dr doesn't want to see me anymore - when i saw him at 6 mth after, he said he didn't feel that he needed to see me anymore (unless I felt I needed to see him then he'd keep seeing me) as long as I kept all the check-ups with Chemo (same facility), Surgeon and my PA which I am still on 6 mth checks with Chemo and surgeon and my PA anytime I have any questions/problems - I've had her for over 15 years and she is fantastic - I would hope that everyone could have someone like her for their Primary Care.

Susan
  • BioAdoptMom
    Rague said:

There was a mix up when I wa first DX'd and I got sent to the Rads before Chemo (Rad DDr tried to get them (VA) to change the order and send me straight to Chemo but they refused so I saw him on Tuesday (the day after first seeing my Surgeon) and then saw Chemo the next day. I saw him 3 more times before starting Rads. I'm IBC and there was no hope of getting all of it IF Chemo hadn't shrunk it and given margins. So anywho - Rad Dr wanted to see me after the end of A/C so he could know first hand the differences froom before neo-Adjunct Chemo to after neo-Adjunct Chemo so I saw him in the 2 weeks between last A/C and Surgery. I also saw him during the 3 weeks post Mod. Rad. Mast. and the start of 12 weekly Taxol. I saw him the day of my last Taxol - actually before i was scheduled to be in for it but he wanted another CT scan and so they got the infusion pushed back long enough for me to go upstairs to the hospital for the CT (The JTV Cancer Care Institue is off of the side of our Regional Hospital) i saw him again later that week and then started Rads one week froom the last Taxol. Also started Femara about a week after the first Rad.

We are different, our cancers are different AND our Drs are different. Personally anytime one of my Drs say they think they need to see me - I'm going as they have a reason rather i understand it or not. Now my Rad Dr doesn't want to see me anymore - when i saw him at 6 mth after, he said he didn't feel that he needed to see me anymore (unless I felt I needed to see him then he'd keep seeing me) as long as I kept all the check-ups with Chemo (same facility), Surgeon and my PA which I am still on 6 mth checks with Chemo and surgeon and my PA anytime I have any questions/problems - I've had her for over 15 years and she is fantastic - I would hope that everyone could have someone like her for their Primary Care.

Susan

Thanks! Yeah, I guess I'll
    Thanks! Yeah, I guess I'll just go and see what the reason is. Who knows. Maybe he wants to have me ready to go for rads if I find out I don't need chemo.

Wow Susan, you really went through a lot there with the VA!

Nancy
  • ElizabethB
    ElizabethB Member Posts: 89
    Rague said:

Susan

VA
    Susan I am getting treatment at the VA also which one are you going to????????
  • Rague

Thanks! Yeah, I guess I'll
    Thanks! Yeah, I guess I'll just go and see what the reason is. Who knows. Maybe he wants to have me ready to go for rads if I find out I don't need chemo.

Wow Susan, you really went through a lot there with the VA!

Nancy

VA has been great for me!
    The only slight 'problem' with VA was that one appointment and considering how fast things were hapening - that's not bad at all. I saw my VA PA in the morning on Thursday - shortly after noon I was at the local Radiology clinic for a Mammo, then a Sono and then a biopsy. Friday morn I had the results of the Biopsy and an appt. was scheduled with Surgeon for Monday. Saw him in the morn Monday and the appt at the CCI was made for the next day - yes that one appt did get goofed up and I saw Rads instead of Chemo but that was straightened out and I saw Chemo the next day. Then there were lots of tests/scans/port in and started Chemo 17 days after the day I saw my PA.

I can not say anything but that I have gotten fantastic care through VA - I have gotten all the care/support that I've needed. My local VA is a smaller one compared to many though so that may make a difference to some degree and I've had my PA for 15 years so she knows me well.

Susan
  • Rague

VA
    Susan I am getting treatment at the VA also which one are you going to????????

Fort Meade VA -
    just outside of Sturgis, SD - Yes - home to the infamous Sturgis Motorcycle Rally every Aug! It's about 35 miles from my house.

Which one do you go to?

Most of my IBC care has been out-sourced to the local Cancer Care Institute (Chemo and Rads), a private surgeon, surgery and almost all my scans. I've only had 2 scans done at Ft. Meade and those were ones that my VA PA wanted - not ones requested by the non-VA Drs. They did insist that I come up there for Neulasta - not get it here in town. Also as I have decided (with all my Drs approval) to keep my port in "just in case" I have to go to Rapid City VA Clinic for flushes monthly - it's only about 1/4 mile from the CCI so not a big deal to go there. My certified Lymphedemologist is also at Ft. Meade.

Ft. Meade is not a BIG facility at all and all I can say is that I've gotten fantastic care between what they out-sourced and the care I've gotten at the local clinic and Ft. Meade. Hope you have as good care as I've had!

May I ask what branch were you - Army for me - though Hubby's retired Navy.

Susan
  • BioAdoptMom
    Obviously they have treated
    Obviously they have treated you well and it has gone very efficiently for you, so much faster than mine! A radiologist told me he suspected it was BC on 12/23/10 when I had my repeat mammo and US. So far all I have had is a lumpectomy and re-excision. I won't even know if I need chemo till April 19. It seems like its taking so much longer than everyone else's treatments.

All the best to you and thank you for so patiently responding to all of my questions.

Nancy