Odd question for those of you on Tamoxifen

TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
Okay, I keep thinking I'm imagining this, but I've finally decided I'm not....

I've been on Tamoxifen for about 16 months, and am noticing that the hair on my legs and underarms is growing MUCH more slowly than it ever did before. I keep going to shave, and there's barely anything there!

The hair on my head still seems to be growing very normally, and I'm not noticing any thinning at all.

I'm 42, and nowhere near menopause -- Aunt Flo comes every month like the moon -- so it's not a menopause thing for me.

Have any of you pre-menopausal ladies on Tamoxifen noticed this, too? I'm not complaining, mind you, about not having to shave so much -- I've just never heard of this before.

Traci

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Yes, I was 33 when I started
    Yes, I was 33 when I started tamoxifen and 40 when I stopped it. The hair on my head is the same (curly), but leg and underarm hair nearly absent. I can shave my legs in one second. That's a big plus--yay!
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member

Yes, I was 33 when I started
    Yes, I was 33 when I started tamoxifen and 40 when I stopped it. The hair on my head is the same (curly), but leg and underarm hair nearly absent. I can shave my legs in one second. That's a big plus--yay!

Tamoxifin
    My hair(on my head) was always thin/fine and I do notice that it is thinner since taking tamoxifin. Only been on tamoxifin for 15 months.I am a bit worried about that. I mentioned it to the doctors but they don't care.

The hair on my legs slowed years ago after I had my hysteroctomy. Once in awhile I need to shave but not often.My underarm hair is gone.Has been since I had my female parts removed. Everything went. I didn't want the doctors to leave anything.Take it all!!!! Less places to get cancer. Then get bc years later.

Lynn Smith
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    After almost 5 years....
    still I have less hair on my legs and pits! I figured it was the hormonal change that both the Tamoxifen (blocks Estrogen) and my total hysterectomy caused..

I'm not worried...celebrating not having to invest as much time shaving!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    KathiM said:

After almost 5 years....
    still I have less hair on my legs and pits! I figured it was the hormonal change that both the Tamoxifen (blocks Estrogen) and my total hysterectomy caused..

I'm not worried...celebrating not having to invest as much time shaving!!!

Hugs, Kathi

I was pushed into
    I was pushed into menopause,after my DX, put I thought the no hair or less hair on legs and no hair under arms was because of chemo. Hair on head is good, but I don't know if that's because of the shampoo I use or it would have been this way anyways.I never thought to think it was do to the drug.
    Kathy~
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    Just the opposite
    Not me - I seem to be just the opposite, seems like I'm shaving a lot more now, just my luck.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    helen e said:

Just the opposite
    Not me - I seem to be just the opposite, seems like I'm shaving a lot more now, just my luck.

Legs only
    I had noticed that the hair on my legs seemed to be growing slower. I thought it was my imagination too. I did not have to shave my legs and underarms hardly at all last summer because of chemo, one thing I enjoyed. Hair on head is doing good and under 1 arm is about normal. The one with rads is sparse. I have been on Tamoxifen for 7 months. God Bless
    (((hugs))) Janice
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Legs only
    I had noticed that the hair on my legs seemed to be growing slower. I thought it was my imagination too. I did not have to shave my legs and underarms hardly at all last summer because of chemo, one thing I enjoyed. Hair on head is doing good and under 1 arm is about normal. The one with rads is sparse. I have been on Tamoxifen for 7 months. God Bless
    (((hugs))) Janice

No I dont have to shave
    No I dont have to shave much. although I noticed the hair on my legs is growing a bit faster. o r perhpas I just ignored it for too long!! LOl
  • BioAdoptMom3
    BioAdoptMom3 Member Posts: 43
    You ladies are getting me
    You ladies are getting me EXCITED! I was just diagnosed in mid January so have only had lumpectomies, no other treatment yet. I know Tamoxifen will be part of it and I am dreading that, but at least this gives me one small gift to look forward to!

Nancy
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

You ladies are getting me
    You ladies are getting me EXCITED! I was just diagnosed in mid January so have only had lumpectomies, no other treatment yet. I know Tamoxifen will be part of it and I am dreading that, but at least this gives me one small gift to look forward to!

Nancy

LOl Nancy, Never thought of
    LOl Nancy, Never thought of it as a gift to look forward to. Now thats thinking positive girl.
    Kathy ~
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    yes same for me
    I have very thick hair so no issue but legs and arns slow growing-been on tamoxifen just over 3 yrs- was taken off it last week

For me it could be just my age and menopause!
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Yes
    Traci,
    Yes, the same thing is happening to me. I seldom have to shave my legs. I still shave my underarms but I think that is just a habit. Even tho, having cancer sucks some of the side effects do have benefits. LOL

Janie
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Yes!
    Traci, I had the same thing happen to me. My leg hair and underarm hair would grow so fast, I'd have to shave every morning. While on Tamoxifen for the 5 years, it slowed way down. I could go two days without having to shave! It was kind of nice actually! Save a little $$ not having to buy razors and shave gel as often! LOL.

It probably has to do with the estrogen being slowed down and stopped from the tamoxifen. Though your body still produces estrogen, the Tamoxifen stops it from going into your bodies cells which has an effect on how your body.

So...enjoy! It's actually one of the better side effects of the stuff! LOL. Oh, since I've been off of Tamoxifen (last August) I've gone back to shaving EVERY day! Blahhhhh.

Blessings,
    Sally