Stage 4 Lung Cancer with Mets to Brain and Liver

ClaireM
ClaireM Member Posts: 3
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading your posts for the last week or so to get positive thoughts for my Dad (60 years old)

He was diagnosed with advanced Lung cancer with mets to the brain and liver. The Left lung is completly blocked with cancer. He has seen the Oncologist today and has been told there is nothing they can do as there is no cure.. however they can give him low dose Radiation to the brain to help with the swelling, and that's it! They are saying prognosis of 'a few months' is the same with or witout treatment?..

Now after reading all the stories on here I am shocked to say the least that there is nothing they can do? Has anyone else been told this and is still here? Or anyone know of anyone who has lived through this? They are deciding at the moment whether to have the low dose radiation or not? But I would rather they get a second opinion but I dont want to give them false hope?....

Many thanks
Claire x

Comments

• angelyn
    angelyn Member Posts: 51
    Second Opinion
    Claire-
    If I were in your shoes I would definitely get a second opinion. I have read of others that are diagnosed with extensive lung disease and take chemo and radiation and are still here long after their diagnosis. If for no other than peace of mind, I would get the second opinion.
    Praying for you-
    Angie
  • ClaireM
    angelyn said:

Second Opinion
    Claire-
    If I were in your shoes I would definitely get a second opinion. I have read of others that are diagnosed with extensive lung disease and take chemo and radiation and are still here long after their diagnosis. If for no other than peace of mind, I would get the second opinion.
    Praying for you-
    Angie

Thanks Angie,
    It seems so

Thanks Angie,

It seems so strange as they have now sent him home with a 'pat on the back' and no where to turn? Is he meant to just come home and die without a fight? I can't comprehend this.. waiting for death...

Claire x
  • angelyn
    angelyn Member Posts: 51
    ClaireM said:

Thanks Angie,
    It seems so

Thanks Angie,

It seems so strange as they have now sent him home with a 'pat on the back' and no where to turn? Is he meant to just come home and die without a fight? I can't comprehend this.. waiting for death...

Claire x

Don't wait for death! Get
    Don't wait for death! Get him to another reputable doctor for another opinion. Please don't give up yet... I'll be praying for you.
    Angie
  • hope0310
    hope0310 Member Posts: 320
    angelyn said:

Don't wait for death! Get
    Don't wait for death! Get him to another reputable doctor for another opinion. Please don't give up yet... I'll be praying for you.
    Angie

Go to another
    I would seek a second opinion as well.

I will give you the nuts and bolts of my experience.....my healthy active vibrant 66 yr old mother was dx March 1st last year, SCLC (5cm in right upper)w/20 mets to brain. She had 12/15 rounds of WBR . . .nasty stuff, but only thing they could do with so many. End of March it was in her spine....more radiation. Then moved on to chemo.

She really did well for a while, even declared remission in July. It was very short lived as it did return to her brain......game over, you can only have WBR once. She was given 4-6 weeks and we had home hospice. She pushed it to 7 weeks......we cherished them all, she was never in pain.....that we are thankful for.

I'm sorry this is not a happy ending story, they are out there, but I think people are here for the good bad and ugly....cancer cannot be sugar coated.

My best to you and your dad. My advise....do what feels right, be there, support him, love him and make memories and live without regrets.....

Be good to yourself,
    Elysia
  • ClaireM
    hope0310 said:

Go to another
    I would seek a second opinion as well.

I will give you the nuts and bolts of my experience.....my healthy active vibrant 66 yr old mother was dx March 1st last year, SCLC (5cm in right upper)w/20 mets to brain. She had 12/15 rounds of WBR . . .nasty stuff, but only thing they could do with so many. End of March it was in her spine....more radiation. Then moved on to chemo.

She really did well for a while, even declared remission in July. It was very short lived as it did return to her brain......game over, you can only have WBR once. She was given 4-6 weeks and we had home hospice. She pushed it to 7 weeks......we cherished them all, she was never in pain.....that we are thankful for.

I'm sorry this is not a happy ending story, they are out there, but I think people are here for the good bad and ugly....cancer cannot be sugar coated.

My best to you and your dad. My advise....do what feels right, be there, support him, love him and make memories and live without regrets.....

Be good to yourself,
    Elysia

Update - Second Opinion
    Hi Everyone..

My dad had an appointment with a Radiologist yesterday who was very positive and has given him a course of Radiation for the Mets to the Brain and Chemo for the Lung Cancer.. He has said as he has reacted so well to the steroids he is going to give my dad the best go at reducing the tumors he can! Were so pleased and happy someone is giving him a chance rather than saying theres nothing more they can do!!
    The Radiologist also said there is someone he is treating that is still living after 18 months with the same cancer as my dad so compared to a 'few months' the oncologist gave my him this is great.

Thanks
    Claire x