Article from Dr. Lenz

lisa42
lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
Hi,

I thought you all might find this article by Dr. Lenz interesting.
Here it is:
--------------------------------------

Why Do the New Drugs Fail in Adjuvant Chemotherapy?
Posted: 24 Mar 2011 09:50 AM PDT
Some of the most surprising data presented at the GI Symposium in January 2011 in San Francisco was the negative result of the European trial called AVANT.

Dr. HJ Lenz
In that clinical trial patients who underwent a curative resection for colon cancer received either FOLFOX or FOLFOX with Avastin® (bevacizumab) treatment after their surgery. Chemotherapy was given over 6 months, but patients who were randomly selected for Avastin received 6 months with chemotherapy and additional 6 months alone after chemotherapy ended for a total of 12 months of Avastin.
In our annual ASCO meeting in Chicago in 2009, we heard the results of an American trial (C-08) showing no benefit in patients who received Avastin in this setting, however there an interesting finding that during the 12 months Avastin was given there was a potential benefit. The European AVANT trial showed very similar results. Avastin did not improve outcome in patients who underwent a successful surgery for their colon cancer. There was again a hint of benefit during the time of Avastin therapy.
What does this all mean? After the negative data with Erbitux® and now with Avastin, we are coming to understand that drugs which work for metastatic disease may not have the same effect in patients who have only microscopic disease. The way these drugs work may be completely different if there only cells left or a tumor which has different infrastructure such as its own blood vessels and has overcome the defense of the immune system.
We need to get smarter and develop specific therapies for these patients and find out why the tumors in these patients come back. What makes colon cancer cells survive in some patients? How do some patients kill left over colon cancer cells?
We are back to the drawing board going beyond the pathology report to make treatment decisions but needing to understand the genetic make up of these cancers.

Comments

• smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Hey Lisa, at the risk of
    Hey Lisa, at the risk of sounding dumb, but you are into the holistic, juicing etc. Do you believe in drinking water with baking soda added to increase alkaline in your diet?? I've started looking into alternatives to help, and came across an article .... seems kinda simple!! Does this make any sense to you??
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
    smokeyjoe said:

Hey Lisa, at the risk of
    Hey Lisa, at the risk of sounding dumb, but you are into the holistic, juicing etc. Do you believe in drinking water with baking soda added to increase alkaline in your diet?? I've started looking into alternatives to help, and came across an article .... seems kinda simple!! Does this make any sense to you??

It might improve your breath
    Here is some of the science:

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/ionbunk.html

Here, in a nutshell, are a few basic facts that I believe anyone with a solid background in chemistry or physiology would concur with:

"Ionized water" is nothing more than sales fiction; the term is meaningless to chemists.
    Pure water (that is, water containing no dissolved ions) is too unconductive to undergo signficant electrolysis by "water ionizer" devices.
    Pure water can never be alkaline or acidic, nor can it be made so by electrolysis. Alkaline water must contain metallic ions of some kind — most commonly, sodium, calcium or magnesium.
    The idea that one must consume alkaline water to neutralize the effects of acidic foods is ridiculous; we get rid of excess acid by exhaling carbon dioxide.
    If you do drink alkaline water, its alkalinity is quickly removed by the highly acidic gastric fluid in the stomach.
    Uptake of water occurs mainly in the intestine, not in the stomach. But when stomach contents enter the intestine, they are neutralized and made alkaline by the pancreatic secretions — so all the water you drink eventually becomes alkaline anyway.
    The claims about the health benefits of drinking alkaline water are not supported by credible scientific evidence.
  • Buckwirth
    Great stuff Lisa
    Thanks for sharing! This is a good reminder that there are no simple answers.
  • Buckwirth
    Double post

Double post
  • smokeyjoe
    Buckwirth said:

Double post

Double post

I thought I read something
    I thought I read something on Scouties thread about alkaline vs. acid and cancer hating alkaline environment.
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    smokeyjoe said:

I thought I read something on Scouties thread about alkaline vs. acid and cancer hating alkaline environment.

You did
    I have no idea what Buckwirth is talking about because you can change the chemical pH of anything if it is mixed with another product that has a different pH. I have never researched those ion water thingies you can buy so I have no opinion but water filters are very different from squirting something in your water. Soda, beer, wine, liquor, etc etc are made from water but all have an acidic pH balance. Water is naturally neutral to start.

I always thought it was pretty interesting that citrus products that you think would be acidic are actually alkaline to your body.

I squirted (and still do) fresh lemon juice in my water to alkaline it. Never looked into baking soda. You know what a cool experiment would be for you to do (and then you can tell all of us the result). If you've gotten any of those pH testing, you could test and see for yourself. I think my baking soda is grey in color (very old) or I'd test it myself.

Lisa P.
  • scouty
    Interesting Lisa
    Enjoyed talking today and again I am really pleased with your successes so far and expect you to have gazillions more!

Knowing that avastin is a target chemo, meaning it can tell the difference between a health cell and a cancerous one and that it attacks the blood vessels to mets, this does not surprise me and I'm a little stunned that it surprises them. But at the same I find it fascinating that the blood source/sources of metatisized tumors can be effected while the blood source/sources of the primary tumor can't aren't. I find that very interesting and hopeful.

Thanks for sharing.

Lisa P.
  • Buckwirth
    smokeyjoe said:

Not sure what others may have said
    Here is the way Alkaline and Cancer is played out in the Alt universe:

http://www.healingdaily.com/conditions/cancer-prevention-measures.htm

Cancel(sp) Cells Cannot Thrive In An Alkaline Environment

At a pH slightly above 7.4 cancer cells become dormant and at pH 8.5 cancer cells will die while healthy cells will live. This phenomenon has given rise to a variety of treatments based on increasing the alkalinity of the tissues, treatments such as vegetarian diet, the drinking of fresh fruit and vegetable juices, and dietary supplementation with alkaline minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, cesium and rubidium.

When taking calcium supplements you should know that calcium in the form of calcium citrate, calcium malate, calcium ascorbate and calcium orotate is more easily absorbed than calcium carbonate.

And here it is in the world of science:

http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/1603redothis.html

Acid/Alkaline Theory of Disease Is Nonsense

Gabe Mirkin, M.D.

Have you seen advertisements for products such as coral calcium or alkaline water that are supposed to neutralize acid in your bloodstream? Taking calcium or drinking alkaline water does not affect blood acidity. Anyone who tells you that certain foods or supplements make your stomach or blood acidic does not understand nutrition.

You should not believe that it matters whether foods are acidic or alkaline, because no foods change the acidity of anything in your body except your urine. Your stomach is so acidic that no food can change its acidity. Citrus fruits, vinegar, and vitamins such as ascorbic acid or folic acid do not change the acidity of your stomach or your bloodstream. An entire bottle of calcium pills or antacids would not change the acidity of your stomach for more than a few minutes.

All foods that leave your stomach are acidic. Then they enter your intestines where secretions from your pancreas neutralize the stomach acids. So no matter what you eat, the food in stomach is acidic and the food in the intestines is alkaline.

Dietary modification cannot change the acidity of any part of your body except your urine. Your bloodstream and organs control acidity in a very narrow range. Anything that changed acidity in your body would make you very sick and could even kill you. Promoters of these products claim that cancer cells cannot live in an alkaline environment and that is true, but neither can any of the other cells in your body.

As others have stated, do the research and make up your own mind.

Here are sites that I find trustworthy:

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/11570.cfm (Sloan-Kettering)

http://www.mdanderson.org/education-and-research/resources-for-professionals/clinical-tools-and-resources/cimer/therapies/alphabetical-list.html (MD Anderson)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ (a listing of all published research)

I also find when doing a search to add the words quack, snake oil, or skeptic to the search. It separates out a lot of the trade magazine and sales sites, so you can at find a site that does something other than just cheer-leading. Alt is a $23B dollar business, and much of its sales occurs over the internet. Getting past the sales pitches can be quite daunting. (it will be pointed out by someone that Pharma is significantly larger, and they do have a web presence, but it is not even close to being the primary sales vehicle for them.)
  • lisa42
    Smokeyjoe and others
    Hi,

I have never looked into putting baking soda into my water, although I have heard about it. My ND (naturopathic dr) has me checking my acidity/alkalinity every morning with ph strips. You can check it in the first urine of the morning (but I always forget) or the saliva. The ideal ph for saliva vs. urine is slightly different- I don't remember what, but know if you're checking it out that they are different.
    I have always heard that cancer thrives in an acidic environment. There are certain foods to avoid if you want to make your body a more alkaline environment. Supposedly meat (beef especially) is acidic. Just by cutting out coffee, my ph test strips are showing a lot more alkaline lately. I am working on that.
    Yes, I have purchased bottled water that is supposedly more alkaline than other waters. Is it a scam? I honestly don't know, but I'm trying it anyhow. Perhaps adding baking soda to the water would be better, but I don't know- I will be looking into it. You do have to be careful about too much- I think too much baking soda could also be detrimental. That's not based on fact, just what I've heard.

So far as links that have been posted here by buckwirth or perhaps others on occasion to show articles that debunk this theory or other supplements and/or herbs, well for every article and/or study proving one thing or another, well there always seems to be as many articles and/or studies on the other side proving the opposite.
    I for one, always like to look at the source of who is doing the study and try to figure out what their purpose of doing the study is. Some are out to prove things and others are out to do studies to try to disprove the same things.
    When testing certain supplements, it should always be checked to see if the tester is using the supplement/herb or whatever it is in the way it is recommended. For example, if a certain herbal tea is supposed to be steeped in boiling water for a certain extended amount of time and then taken on an empty stomach (just as an example), then it would be an invalid study if that particular tea was studied without being prepared and taken as it should be. So, some of the articles and/or studies posted very well may be valid, but they may not be- so just check things out that you read carefully.
    Some things haven't had studies done on them (because there's no money to be made on many of the herbs/supplements, which is why you'd never see a pharmaceutical company studying an herb- maybe only if they had a way to tweak it into a chemical and then charge more for it). Yes, a lot of what gets put out there about cancer and health is based on MONEY, not on what is good for us! On the contrary, yes there are charlatains out there who will try to sell you their natural "cure" and it is really a bunch of hogwash. Just because there are scammers and charlatins trying to take your money does not mean that all supplements and herbs are no good.
    Use common sense people- research for yourself! But also listen to people who can show you what good results they've gotten! I don't know why it took me almost 3-1/2 years to listen to people who have gotten over cancer naturally, but perhaps it is just because I've become more desperate lately. Does that make me a hypocrite if I didn't do these natural things earlier? Maybe, but I don't care- people grow, change, and evolve in their thoughts and beliefs. I am an ever changing person and I am open to listening to alternatives. I respect my oncologist, but I will not make him into a all-knowing god- no-I now find it interesting that my oncologist is learning some things from ME! He seems to be impressed with how my bloodwork is improving, my platelets are no longer dropping too low, and I am no longer anemic. I can only accredit that to the natural changes I've made because there isn't anything else that I've done differently.
    That, to me, says way more than articles or trials that are trying to debunk what I am doing. Will I say ok some article says that stuff doesn't work, so I'm just going to go on eating all the sugary junk food that I once did? NO! Have I allowed myself a couple of treats from time to time? Yes. But for the most part, I am eating 90% better than I was prior to about 3 months ago!
    Ok, I'm rambling now- but I just find it upsetting that every idea that is presented as something that might possibly help people is being shot down on this board lately every time by a link to an article debunking it.
    People- use your brains and follow your hearts! And this- please don't judge others for trying things that you may not choose to do. I'm not putting anyone down who doesn't want to try some of these different things, but I also feel that people should be able to share ideas without being shot down every time.

Lisa
  • Buckwirth
    scouty said:

Interesting Lisa
    Enjoyed talking today and again I am really pleased with your successes so far and expect you to have gazillions more!

Knowing that avastin is a target chemo, meaning it can tell the difference between a health cell and a cancerous one and that it attacks the blood vessels to mets, this does not surprise me and I'm a little stunned that it surprises them. But at the same I find it fascinating that the blood source/sources of metatisized tumors can be effected while the blood source/sources of the primary tumor can't aren't. I find that very interesting and hopeful.

Thanks for sharing.

Lisa P.

New Blood Vessels
    I think they were hoping that by preventing the growth of new blood vessels the microscopic cancer would not be able to settle and form a tumor. Obviously the tumor cells figured out a a work around (I always feel weird suggesting a cell can think, but I don't know a better way of expressing it).

I actually find it encouraging that Avastin has now been turned down for two types of treatments (Metastatic Breast Cancer and Adjuvant CRC). It does tend to deflate the argument that Pharma gets whatever it wants. At $48k for a full treatment, that is a lot of money that won't be paid out to the shareholders of Genentech/Roche.

On PH, I am not saying you cannot change the PH of a liquid, just that drinking said liquid will not change the blood PH (it will change the urine PH, but that is different). Modern biology says the body does not work that way, and I have posted two sources for the science.

No disrespect for your opinions are intended, and I will happily review any science you have that shows this to be incorrect.

Yours,

Blake
  • lisa42
    an "oops"
    wish there was some way to eliminate a post when it goes double, but oh well!
  • Buckwirth
    lisa42 said:

Smokeyjoe and others
    Hi,

I have never looked into putting baking soda into my water, although I have heard about it. My ND (naturopathic dr) has me checking my acidity/alkalinity every morning with ph strips. You can check it in the first urine of the morning (but I always forget) or the saliva. The ideal ph for saliva vs. urine is slightly different- I don't remember what, but know if you're checking it out that they are different.
    I have always heard that cancer thrives in an acidic environment. There are certain foods to avoid if you want to make your body a more alkaline environment. Supposedly meat (beef especially) is acidic. Just by cutting out coffee, my ph test strips are showing a lot more alkaline lately. I am working on that.
    Yes, I have purchased bottled water that is supposedly more alkaline than other waters. Is it a scam? I honestly don't know, but I'm trying it anyhow. Perhaps adding baking soda to the water would be better, but I don't know- I will be looking into it. You do have to be careful about too much- I think too much baking soda could also be detrimental. That's not based on fact, just what I've heard.

So far as links that have been posted here by buckwirth or perhaps others on occasion to show articles that debunk this theory or other supplements and/or herbs, well for every article and/or study proving one thing or another, well there always seems to be as many articles and/or studies on the other side proving the opposite.
    I for one, always like to look at the source of who is doing the study and try to figure out what their purpose of doing the study is. Some are out to prove things and others are out to do studies to try to disprove the same things.
    When testing certain supplements, it should always be checked to see if the tester is using the supplement/herb or whatever it is in the way it is recommended. For example, if a certain herbal tea is supposed to be steeped in boiling water for a certain extended amount of time and then taken on an empty stomach (just as an example), then it would be an invalid study if that particular tea was studied without being prepared and taken as it should be. So, some of the articles and/or studies posted very well may be valid, but they may not be- so just check things out that you read carefully.
    Some things haven't had studies done on them (because there's no money to be made on many of the herbs/supplements, which is why you'd never see a pharmaceutical company studying an herb- maybe only if they had a way to tweak it into a chemical and then charge more for it). Yes, a lot of what gets put out there about cancer and health is based on MONEY, not on what is good for us! On the contrary, yes there are charlatains out there who will try to sell you their natural "cure" and it is really a bunch of hogwash. Just because there are scammers and charlatins trying to take your money does not mean that all supplements and herbs are no good.
    Use common sense people- research for yourself! But also listen to people who can show you what good results they've gotten! I don't know why it took me almost 3-1/2 years to listen to people who have gotten over cancer naturally, but perhaps it is just because I've become more desperate lately. Does that make me a hypocrite if I didn't do these natural things earlier? Maybe, but I don't care- people grow, change, and evolve in their thoughts and beliefs. I am an ever changing person and I am open to listening to alternatives. I respect my oncologist, but I will not make him into a all-knowing god- no-I now find it interesting that my oncologist is learning some things from ME! He seems to be impressed with how my bloodwork is improving, my platelets are no longer dropping too low, and I am no longer anemic. I can only accredit that to the natural changes I've made because there isn't anything else that I've done differently.
    That, to me, says way more than articles or trials that are trying to debunk what I am doing. Will I say ok some article says that stuff doesn't work, so I'm just going to go on eating all the sugary junk food that I once did? NO! Have I allowed myself a couple of treats from time to time? Yes. But for the most part, I am eating 90% better than I was prior to about 3 months ago!
    Ok, I'm rambling now- but I just find it upsetting that every idea that is presented as something that might possibly help people is being shot down on this board lately every time by a link to an article debunking it.
    People- use your brains and follow your hearts! And this- please don't judge others for trying things that you may not choose to do. I'm not putting anyone down who doesn't want to try some of these different things, but I also feel that people should be able to share ideas without being shot down every time.

Lisa

Lisa
    Do we or don't want to look at the research? Should everything anyone says be taken at face value? How is that "using your brains"?

One user posted the benefits of Turmeric, and said that it was a booster for chemo. Sloan-Kettering points out that the current recommendation is that Turmeric should not be used when in Chemo.

What was the the source for the original poster? That Turmeric can have a boosting effect for chemos no longer in use because their side effects outweighed their benefits, and that by being able to use those particular chemo agents in lower doses with turmeric maybe they could be brought back. It was a chemical specific test, and saying that it applied to all chemotherapy agents was irresponsible.

The number one cause of Cancer in the first world today? Obesity. So a better diet is to be commended, and eating healthy will do no harm.

I am sorry that you find contrary information disturbing, but we cannot just say everything works, and if someone asks a question it is fair to get answers from both sides if there is some kind of controversy.

Here is what I will promise. I won't put up anything that I do not personally believe to be solid fact. I won't question science where the science is not questionable. In this case biology is, well, biology. I don't make this stuff up, the body works the way it works.

Have I ever told someone to stop what they were doing (exception- where it can cause current harm such as turmeric)? Have I called anyone names or passed judgement on them? I know I have asked that some give credit to their surgeons, but I never saw that as passing judgement, and I can tell you that whole post was me blowing steam about a user who does not have CRC but comes here often with what I consider to be really bad advice.

Hope that helps, and I hope you don't hate me for doing just this: "use your brains and follow your hearts!"
  • Buckwirth
    lisa42 said:

an "oops"
    wish there was some way to eliminate a post when it goes double, but oh well!

Don't you hate that!
    And when the site is slow it is so easy to make that mistake!
  • lisa42
    Buckwirth said:

Lisa
    Do we or don't want to look at the research? Should everything anyone says be taken at face value? How is that "using your brains"?

One user posted the benefits of Turmeric, and said that it was a booster for chemo. Sloan-Kettering points out that the current recommendation is that Turmeric should not be used when in Chemo.

What was the the source for the original poster? That Turmeric can have a boosting effect for chemos no longer in use because their side effects outweighed their benefits, and that by being able to use those particular chemo agents in lower doses with turmeric maybe they could be brought back. It was a chemical specific test, and saying that it applied to all chemotherapy agents was irresponsible.

The number one cause of Cancer in the first world today? Obesity. So a better diet is to be commended, and eating healthy will do no harm.

I am sorry that you find contrary information disturbing, but we cannot just say everything works, and if someone asks a question it is fair to get answers from both sides if there is some kind of controversy.

Here is what I will promise. I won't put up anything that I do not personally believe to be solid fact. I won't question science where the science is not questionable. In this case biology is, well, biology. I don't make this stuff up, the body works the way it works.

Have I ever told someone to stop what they were doing (exception- where it can cause current harm such as turmeric)? Have I called anyone names or passed judgement on them? I know I have asked that some give credit to their surgeons, but I never saw that as passing judgement, and I can tell you that whole post was me blowing steam about a user who does not have CRC but comes here often with what I consider to be really bad advice.

Hope that helps, and I hope you don't hate me for doing just this: "use your brains and follow your hearts!"

turmeric
    Blake,

I did google turmeric and chemotherapy, which I have also done before. You are right in that there are several articles talking about how turmeric can inhibit the apostosis of cancer cells while being taken with the chemo cisplatin. It talked about how it can be a problem with breast cancer (because breast cancer patients are generally who take cisplatin). I then found another article, interestingly, that in head and neck cancers, turmeric can actually boost the effectiveness of cisplatin.

I discussed these finding with my oncologist. He felt because there were many studies showing the benefits of turmeric as an anticancer agent but that because it could possibly interfere with chemotherapy, he felt the timing of when it is taken is what is important. One of the articles i read also mentioned something like that.
    He has me stopping all supplements 24 hours before I get an infusion and not resume them again until at least 24 hours has passed after getting unhooked from the 5FU pump.

So, that is the advice I've been following as of late.

It certainly is not that I don't want to see research, it's just that I think by posting one article is not fair when there may be other articles or studies that state things differently. I want to look at all the sides. That definitely does make things confusing, but then at least we see the different sides, who's done the research, how, what their angle or bias might be, etc.

Lisa
  • scouty
    Buckwirth said:

New Blood Vessels
    I think they were hoping that by preventing the growth of new blood vessels the microscopic cancer would not be able to settle and form a tumor. Obviously the tumor cells figured out a a work around (I always feel weird suggesting a cell can think, but I don't know a better way of expressing it).

I actually find it encouraging that Avastin has now been turned down for two types of treatments (Metastatic Breast Cancer and Adjuvant CRC). It does tend to deflate the argument that Pharma gets whatever it wants. At $48k for a full treatment, that is a lot of money that won't be paid out to the shareholders of Genentech/Roche.

On PH, I am not saying you cannot change the PH of a liquid, just that drinking said liquid will not change the blood PH (it will change the urine PH, but that is different). Modern biology says the body does not work that way, and I have posted two sources for the science.

No disrespect for your opinions are intended, and I will happily review any science you have that shows this to be incorrect.

Yours,

Blake

I'm Done
    Blake,

What you seem to think is fun, I think is unhealthy and unproductive.

Since I avoid negative energy whenever I possibly can and with your repeated call out threads, personal attacks, and just debbie downer/negative nancy replies in general I'm done. Sure wish this site had a hide or ignore button but I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way.

Lisa P.
  • lisa42
    smokeyjoe said:

my interjection
    Sorry for butting in here- I just realized I misread what you said and was going to say otherwise & was about to delete the start of my reply, but you can't do that on this site, unfortunately (you said you read soething on scouties thread about alkaline vs acid and cancer hating alkaline environment. I thought at first that you said the reverse.) Supposedly cancer thrives in an acidic environment and hates the alkaline environment, so going along w/ this theory, it would be beneficial to make your body more alkaline.

Don't know if it affects the alkalinity of the blood or not, as buckwirth mentioned, but I definitely know that what is eaten/drank definitely does affect the acidity/alkalinity of the urine and saliva.

Lisa/Scouty- I enjoyed talking with you today, too!! :)

Cheers,
    Lisa **This was meant to go right under Smokeyjoe's post of I thought I
    read on Scouties post... somehow, it didn't get put in the right
    order!
  • Erinb
    Erinb Member Posts: 293
    scouty said:

You did
    I have no idea what Buckwirth is talking about because you can change the chemical pH of anything if it is mixed with another product that has a different pH. I have never researched those ion water thingies you can buy so I have no opinion but water filters are very different from squirting something in your water. Soda, beer, wine, liquor, etc etc are made from water but all have an acidic pH balance. Water is naturally neutral to start.

I always thought it was pretty interesting that citrus products that you think would be acidic are actually alkaline to your body.

I squirted (and still do) fresh lemon juice in my water to alkaline it. Never looked into baking soda. You know what a cool experiment would be for you to do (and then you can tell all of us the result). If you've gotten any of those pH testing, you could test and see for yourself. I think my baking soda is grey in color (very old) or I'd test it myself.

Lisa P.

Ok My husband did this for
    Ok My husband did this for three months scan to scan. His scan looked great, but his CEA went up a bit. His body ph would stay right around 7-7.5. When he would get chemo it would really knock the ph to 5-6 for a few days. He took the baking soda with maple syrup- It was worth a try, but nothing magical happened to make the cancer go away. We still watch ph but limit the acidic foods rather than drink baking soda.
    Erin
  • Buckwirth
    scouty said:

I'm Done
    Blake,

What you seem to think is fun, I think is unhealthy and unproductive.

Since I avoid negative energy whenever I possibly can and with your repeated call out threads, personal attacks, and just debbie downer/negative nancy replies in general I'm done. Sure wish this site had a hide or ignore button but I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way.

Lisa P.

Personal attacks?
    You know that is a violation of the T&C's. Just flag my post and if Greta agrees with you it will be deleted. If I do it too many times I will be banished from the site.

That said, I don't think you will find a post where I made a personal attack.

Sorry that you find challenging replies to be debbie downer (very funny btw).

I am not sure I would want to live in a world where no one challenged me, and where every fancy I happen to believe is true because I say it is. I do admire your courage in taking the steps you took seven years ago, and I am sorry for you that your world is so fixed.
  • smokeyjoe
    Erinb said:

Ok My husband did this for
    Ok My husband did this for three months scan to scan. His scan looked great, but his CEA went up a bit. His body ph would stay right around 7-7.5. When he would get chemo it would really knock the ph to 5-6 for a few days. He took the baking soda with maple syrup- It was worth a try, but nothing magical happened to make the cancer go away. We still watch ph but limit the acidic foods rather than drink baking soda.
    Erin

So, for his blood work
    So, for his blood work prior to chemo. treatments they would check his ph??
  • Love2Cats
    Love2Cats Member Posts: 127
    Great article Lisa
    I just had to discontinue my Avastin, because it probably caused the blood clot(s)that I am dealing with now. I have had my resection surgery, so now I feel better about having to stop the Avastin, and just continue on with Folfox.

Regarding the controversy on the boards, I tend to not like negativity either, and at first I did get that feeling from Blake, but after I got used to the way that he speaks, I don't perceive him as meaning to purposefully come off as negative. He just is very direct when he speaks, doesn't sugar coat anything, and that is just his style/nature. I personally would rather gather as much information from both sides, in order to make a more educated choice. But, still I do understand why people perceive it as negativity, because I for quite awhile I did too.

When I first started reading his posts, he instantly reminded me of a cartoon character named "Glum" from the Gullivers Travels cartoon...you know that guy that always said "we'll never make it" Here is a snippet from the cartoon for those of you who never saw it. Blake I hope you are not offended, it is all in good fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqALm_rmM1g&NR=1