Hints for first prosthesis and bra fitting after bilateral mastectomy

cinnamonsmile
cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
I am going to be getting prosthetic breasts and mastectomy bras at some point. I am not sure when because I still have lots of pain and syptoms from the nerve damage from the bilateral mastectomy w/snb on 1/11/11 (surgeon is treating me for this).I have been reading on different types of prosthesis (which I rarely plan on wearing but my partner and my mother say to get them just in case...yeah, right, like I want to wear a bra again!) But anyway, the only tip I have read that I like is to take different shirts, sweaters, that I wear to see what what sizes I like. Do any of you that have done this or have them have any hints, helps,gripes about what you have, things you'd different, etc? We have an excellent team of women at our boutique in town, so I am not worried about them fitting me, helping me what I like, etc. would just like help from women who have gone through this.
Thank you in adavance!
(I tried to post this last night but can't find it, so sorry if it is a double post.)

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    not sure what you are
    not sure what you are asking. I wear the same size shirt and then had the ladies at the medical fitting place try on different sizes until I liked the look. I had lost somuch weight, my bra went down significantly too.to make me look more proportional.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I spent
    more than 2 hours at my fitting. The clerk took a brief history and what my bra size had been. I must have tried on more than 2 dozen style of bras and she put the silicone inserts in so I could see how it looked. I did not put a shirt on over them. I ended up purchasing 3 bras in different colors and styles, a pair of silicone "girls", 1 leisure bra and set of foam weighted inserts for it. I purchased another leisure bra before starting rads and I still wear these 2 most of the time. I hope this helps.
    Char
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    cahjah75 said:

I spent
    more than 2 hours at my fitting. The clerk took a brief history and what my bra size had been. I must have tried on more than 2 dozen style of bras and she put the silicone inserts in so I could see how it looked. I did not put a shirt on over them. I ended up purchasing 3 bras in different colors and styles, a pair of silicone "girls", 1 leisure bra and set of foam weighted inserts for it. I purchased another leisure bra before starting rads and I still wear these 2 most of the time. I hope this helps.
    Char

If you are a uniboober (as
    If you are a uniboober (as mama G used to say) then you should have them drape material over your bra to help see if you are even.
  • Hippiechick58
    Hippiechick58 Member Posts: 320
    carkris said:

If you are a uniboober (as
    If you are a uniboober (as mama G used to say) then you should have them drape material over your bra to help see if you are even.

All I can say about my
    All I can say about my "foobs" is that they are heavy as a son of a gun! I am a large woman, so I had to get foobs that were large enough for my frame. I do not wear them all the time, as they weigh me down! Maybe I should have gotten a smaller size, but they might have looked silly, I don't know. Everyone is different. Some women love them. Good luck with yours!

Be Well,
    Dianne
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

All I can say about my
    All I can say about my "foobs" is that they are heavy as a son of a gun! I am a large woman, so I had to get foobs that were large enough for my frame. I do not wear them all the time, as they weigh me down! Maybe I should have gotten a smaller size, but they might have looked silly, I don't know. Everyone is different. Some women love them. Good luck with yours!

Be Well,
    Dianne

bumping up
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    very comfortable
    I was fitted very well and mine are so comfortable. I wear them from morning till night. Before BC my bra would always ride up, I never had a comfortable bra now it always feels great, never rides up. I did have a break-in period where I had to get used to it...maybe 2 weeks. I have been wearing my prosthetic and mast. bras for 4 months now...no complaints at all. My insurance pays for 3 bras and the insert for each year to come.
    Hope this helps.
    Annette