My sister-in-laws Breast cancer is back after 15 years

herdizziness
herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
Hello,
My name is Winter Marie. I'm over on the Colorectal cancer discussion board, I have stage IV colon cancer.
My SIL just called in the results of her biopsy to us, and her breast cancer is back, and she also has mets to her spine in the bone.
I know nothing about breast cancer/bone cancer chemo's or protocol. I'm trying to ease my husband's mind (he just lost his mother this year)as this is weighing heavy on him, first me, his wife stage IV and now his sister.
Any information is appreciated.
We do not know the type of chemo she will be on until next Friday when she sees her oncologist, today's meeting was with her biopsy surgeon from what I understand.
Her husband asked what the chances where of survival and he said it depended on the person.
Thank you for any info, I appreciate it.
Winter Marie

Comments

• dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Hi Winter Marie
    There have been several women on here lately with mets to the spine. I believe someone just posted in the last day or so, so I'm sure someone will have some info for you. Sorry for what your family has gone through, but your SIL will find great support and info here.
    Dee
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

Hi Winter Marie
    There have been several women on here lately with mets to the spine. I believe someone just posted in the last day or so, so I'm sure someone will have some info for you. Sorry for what your family has gone through, but your SIL will find great support and info here.
    Dee

I am sorry about your
    I am sorry about your families' health issues. many people live with bone mets for many many years. I know they use zometa, not sure what else.
  • herdizziness
    carkris said:

I am sorry about your
    I am sorry about your families' health issues. many people live with bone mets for many many years. I know they use zometa, not sure what else.

Xeloda
    Do they use xeloda too? I don't know what zometa is.
    Winter marie
  • herdizziness
    dyaneb123 said:

Hi Winter Marie
    Dee

Dee
    Thank you.
    Winter Marie
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Dee
    Thank you.
    Winter Marie

yes I think kari is on
    yes I think kari is on xeloda. sometimes they use tamoxifen, sometimes zometa, which is a bone hardening med, used for bone mets. some people have radiation. not sure what else.
    funny my middle name is marie and my maiden name winter.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Hi Winter Marie. I am so
    Hi Winter Marie. I am so sorry to hear of you troubles. Just to let you know, I had breast cancer in 1987 and had a 22 year remission before I was diagnosed in 2009 with bone mets to my ribs. I am on zometa and arimidex and I completed radiation in 2009. So far, I have not had to have chemo. We are discussing changing the zometa to denosumab (xgeva)as there are some studies indicating that it may be more effective in preventing SRE's (skeletal related events such as fractures).

However, I appear to be doing very well on the zometa and last scan showed, of the 3 ribs that are involved,only one is still showing cancer activity on PET scan.

So don't give up! I am planning on another 22 years! You are all in my prayers.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    carkris said:

I am sorry about your

I am so sorry for what you
    I am so sorry for what you and your family have and are going thru. I don't know anything about bone mets, but, wanted to send your family a prayer.

Hugs, Megan
  • herdizziness

Hi Winter Marie. I am so
    Hi Winter Marie. I am so sorry to hear of you troubles. Just to let you know, I had breast cancer in 1987 and had a 22 year remission before I was diagnosed in 2009 with bone mets to my ribs. I am on zometa and arimidex and I completed radiation in 2009. So far, I have not had to have chemo. We are discussing changing the zometa to denosumab (xgeva)as there are some studies indicating that it may be more effective in preventing SRE's (skeletal related events such as fractures).

However, I appear to be doing very well on the zometa and last scan showed, of the 3 ribs that are involved,only one is still showing cancer activity on PET scan.

Would you mind
    If I sent her a copy of your words in her email?
    Thank you for responding!!
    Winter Marie
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    carkris said:

yes I think kari is on
    yes I think kari is on xeloda. sometimes they use tamoxifen, sometimes zometa, which is a bone hardening med, used for bone mets. some people have radiation. not sure what else.
    funny my middle name is marie and my maiden name winter.

I am so sorry to read this
    I am so sorry to read this about your sister in law. Sending prayers for her.

Hugs, Diane
  • Hippiechick58
    Hippiechick58 Member Posts: 320

Would you mind
    Winter Marie

So sorry to hear about your
    So sorry to hear about your SIL. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Be Well,
    Dianne
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member

So sorry to hear about your SIL. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Be Well,
    Dianne

Winter Marie,
    So sorry to

Winter Marie,
    So sorry to hear what your family is going through. There are ladies here who can help you with bone mets. All I can do is send prayers and love.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    @Winter marie
    So sorry you family is going through all this....I"ll be thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way..

Denise
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

Would you mind
    Winter Marie

I'm so sorry and am sending
    I'm so sorry and am sending prayers. No one should ever give up! We can fight the beast and we can win!

Hugs, Kylez
  • herdizziness
    Thank You
    I know my sister is appreciating all your prayers and love sent her way.
    Thank you very much.
    winter marie
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Thank You
    I know my sister is appreciating all your prayers and love sent her way.
    Thank you very much.
    winter marie

I don't know anything about
    I don't know anything about bone cancer, and, I am sorry that I can't share any information to you about it. There are some pink sisters in here that do have mets to the bone, and, I am sure, if they see this post, they will share information.

Please know that I am praying for you, your husband and all of your family's.

Sue :)
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Hi Winter Marie. I am so

My prayers are with you and
    My prayers are with you and your family.

Hugs, Jan
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Ritzy said:

I don't know anything about
    I don't know anything about bone cancer, and, I am sorry that I can't share any information to you about it. There are some pink sisters in here that do have mets to the bone, and, I am sure, if they see this post, they will share information.

Please know that I am praying for you, your husband and all of your family's.

Sue :)

I hope for the best
    I hope and pray that things go GOOD for your SIL.And you too.Then your husband has alot on him now. Your family has had some rough times with the cancer and your MIL passing. Just wishing the best to all of you.

I think it is so hard being cancer free for so many years then suddenly it comes back. I keep thinking how wonderful it would be to make it 20 and even 30 years but after being diagnosed with cancer our lives are unpredictable. Always in the back of our minds.

All I can say is pray and I will be praying for you and your family.I say a prayer every night.Prayer has got me through alot of illnesses during my lifetime. It is going to get me through breast cancer.

Lynn Smith
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

I hope for the best
    I hope and pray that things go GOOD for your SIL.And you too.Then your husband has alot on him now. Your family has had some rough times with the cancer and your MIL passing. Just wishing the best to all of you.

I think it is so hard being cancer free for so many years then suddenly it comes back. I keep thinking how wonderful it would be to make it 20 and even 30 years but after being diagnosed with cancer our lives are unpredictable. Always in the back of our minds.

All I can say is pray and I will be praying for you and your family.I say a prayer every night.Prayer has got me through alot of illnesses during my lifetime. It is going to get me through breast cancer.

Lynn Smith

bumping up
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Be Well,
    Dianne

I will certainly add your
    I will certainly add your sister in law and you to my prayers.

Keep us posted.

Hugs, Angie
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    VickiSam said:

bumping up

Very sorry to read about
    Very sorry to read about your sister in law. Praying for her.

Hugs, Debby