Interperotonial Taxol chemo?

JMulkey
JMulkey Member Posts: 32
Mom's doctor suggested a phase one study with the interperotonial (sp?) nanoparticle of Taxol. Does anyone have any information on this at all? She's 78 and has undergone 6 taxol/carboplatin rounds and is now going to have surgery. The IP chemo would be after surgery. She had extensive ascites.

Would appreciate any info you all can help us out with.

Comments

• Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    I would jump at the chance,
    I would jump at the chance, if I were her. Studies show that women who receive IP treatments do better, in the long run.

I badly wnated to do IP chemo but my doctor refused, mostly because my surgery was so extensive and I had complications before and after.

Just my shiny dime's worth.

Carlene
  • Mum2bellaandwilliam
    Mum2bellaandwilliam Member Posts: 412

I would jump at the chance,
    I would jump at the chance, if I were her. Studies show that women who receive IP treatments do better, in the long run.

I badly wnated to do IP chemo but my doctor refused, mostly because my surgery was so extensive and I had complications before and after.

Just my shiny dime's worth.

Carlene

I agree with Carlene, grab
    I agree with Carlene, grab it with open arms and run!!!, I would love for mum ti have had the chance of it. Good luck.
  • MK_4Dani
    MK_4Dani Member Posts: 314
    I did IP treatment
    I received 6 IP treatments of Carboplatin evert 3 weeks. I did not have any problems. I am told it is a very tough treatment and my age (45) helped. The nurses told me that the older ladies have a tough go with the IP. I do not know about the Taxol vs. Carbo IP treatments. The treatments were 6 hours and you have to lay down and turn every 1/2 hour. Potty breaks were ok. After they put 1 liter of the drug in your belly they give you another liter of saline in your belly. It is a bit uncomfortable after being filled with 2 liters of liquid but not near as bad as the ascites. My IP port was placed on the lower rib cage and THAT was very painful...feels like a broken rib for 5 days. Go for it, it can only help. I have been NED close to two years now...dx stage 3C.
    Good Luck,
    Mary