Which is better silicone or saline?

colabears1
colabears1 Member Posts: 3
Currently I have tissue expanders. April is surgery to get my implants. My insurance doesn't want to pay for silicone. Regular MRI's are needed to detect leaks,but many wont cover that. They feel it's not medically necessary. Help! What to do? I want as soft and natural as possible. I been told Silicone is the closest to that. How bad are Saline? I am so worried,don't know what to do.

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Hi colabears1! I had a
    Hi colabears1! I had a lumpectomy, so, I can't answer your question, but, I know that some of the other pink sisters that have gone thru this will help you with their experience.

Good luck to you!

Sue :)
  • colabears1
    colabears1 Member Posts: 3
    Ritzy said:

Hi colabears1! I had a
    Hi colabears1! I had a lumpectomy, so, I can't answer your question, but, I know that some of the other pink sisters that have gone thru this will help you with their experience.

Good luck to you!

Sue :)

Hello,thank you for
    Hello,thank you for responding. Any info you or anyone else has would be great!Thank-you
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Hello,thank you for
    Hello,thank you for responding. Any info you or anyone else has would be great!Thank-you

Welcome colabear!
    I had a lumpectomy too, but, hoping that someone who has had tissue expanders and implants will post to you.

Hugs, Angie
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Hi colabears1!
    GRRRRRR .... dealing with insurance companies is such a pain!

First, it depends on how big you want to go. Saline has the largest amount of cc's so if you want big saline is the way to go.

I have silicone implants ... my exchange surgery was last July. I have heard too that silicone is softer that saline. I know that my silicone implants are very soft. I have extremely thin skin and I have some rippling issues with the silicone implants ... and I've heard that saline implants would show even more ripples.

As far as the insurance company ... we all know they don't want to pay anything if they can wiggle out of it ... I think if you appealed it, and appealed it, and appealed it ... and had your PS's office word it in such a way, they may concede. I don't have insurance right now and I'll deal with that issue in a couple of years. It's sad that we have to settle just because insurance won't pay ... I feel for you ... and hopefully you'll hear from sisters that have the saline implants.

Best wishes to you,
    dh
  • Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    I was told
    by two different PS's that silicone are the best choice for people that have had mastectomies. Apparently, because we no longer have breast tissue and the implant needs to be put under our muscle, silicone is the better choice. I was told that it would feel more realistic and won't ripple so it will also look more realistic. As for the MRI, I was told that once every 2-3 years is sufficient and that if the silicone implant somehow ruptures, then it won't leak or move it will just need to be replaced at some point. If the saline ruptures, it will deflate and will need to be replaced asap. I got my silicone implants in October and I think that they are comfortable and relatively natural. They are much more comfortable than the expanders, that is for sure. I'm not sure what to tell you about insurance. My insurance seemed to cover the silicone without question. I haven't had an MRI yet so I don't know if that will be an issue.

Good luck to you.

Clementine
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

I was told
    by two different PS's that silicone are the best choice for people that have had mastectomies. Apparently, because we no longer have breast tissue and the implant needs to be put under our muscle, silicone is the better choice. I was told that it would feel more realistic and won't ripple so it will also look more realistic. As for the MRI, I was told that once every 2-3 years is sufficient and that if the silicone implant somehow ruptures, then it won't leak or move it will just need to be replaced at some point. If the saline ruptures, it will deflate and will need to be replaced asap. I got my silicone implants in October and I think that they are comfortable and relatively natural. They are much more comfortable than the expanders, that is for sure. I'm not sure what to tell you about insurance. My insurance seemed to cover the silicone without question. I haven't had an MRI yet so I don't know if that will be an issue.

Good luck to you.

Clementine

My choice .. Saline .. and I LOVE them ...
    no ripples, soft supple and natural looking and feeling. I love the fact that if there is a 'leak', saline can be fixed in your PS office. No surgery needed! No more cuts, incisions or anesthesia. Just my humble opinion.

Please have your Plastic Surgeon or his staff .. present both options to you. Sample are available in office. You may want to look at photo's of before and after of each version.

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam
  • parris
    parris Member Posts: 23
    I originally had saline
    I originally had saline implants and had problems with dimpling etc. I am now 2 weeks post-op from my exchange to memory gel implants. I am very pleased with the outcome. They do look and feel very natural and the best thing about them is no worrying about leakage. Visit Mentor Implants site and read info on memory gel implants.

Good Luck
  • Angel2
    Angel2 Member Posts: 5
    Saline implant
    Hi,I had one implant put in and it is a saline implant. I have had it for almost 13yrs and would not have it any other way. If you have any questions about saline implants just let me know.
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    I LOVE MY MENTOR MEMORY GEL IMPLANTS
    4 days before transfer, I decided on the Mentor Memory Gel Implants and I am so happy that I made the decision. They are soft and feel natural to the touch.

Let us know what you decide.