Just a quick question!

dayemdom
dayemdom Member Posts: 28
My mom has a cancer of unknown primary. However, her oncologist suspects that ovaries are the source due to her blood tests. She has had 4 sessions of radiotherapy so far to treat the lesions in her back that are pressing on her nerves. She will be doing chemo after she finishes radio next week. However, she had severe pain in her right waist yesterday at night and the pain has reduced during the day today. W e are wondering if this pain is due to the cancer being spread to that area or it is just one of the side effect of radio. Has anyone on this board experienced similar pain. Please let us know.

Dana,

Comments

• Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Dana....few of us have
    Dana....few of us have experience with any treatment other than surgery and chemo, as that is almost always the standard of care with OC. I'm not even sure what radiotherapy is. Is that the same thing as radiation?

Wish I could be more help.

Carlene
  • dayemdom
    dayemdom Member Posts: 28

Dana....few of us have
    Dana....few of us have experience with any treatment other than surgery and chemo, as that is almost always the standard of care with OC. I'm not even sure what radiotherapy is. Is that the same thing as radiation?

Wish I could be more help.

Carlene

She is having radiation to
    She is having radiation to her upper backbone due to the lesions that are pressing on her nerves. Her primary tumor was not found but her blood tests suggest that the primary source may be in the ovaries. Only yesterday she started feeling pain in her right waist. We are worried that this may be due to a new met to that area. So I was asking if anyone has had similar pain in the waist area on one side.Thank you.

Dana
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    dayemdom said:

She is having radiation to
    She is having radiation to her upper backbone due to the lesions that are pressing on her nerves. Her primary tumor was not found but her blood tests suggest that the primary source may be in the ovaries. Only yesterday she started feeling pain in her right waist. We are worried that this may be due to a new met to that area. So I was asking if anyone has had similar pain in the waist area on one side.Thank you.

Dana

A lot of us - myself
    A lot of us - myself included - had distended waistlines due to ascites, but it wasn't painful. The only pain I had was in the middle of my upper abdomen, just under my sternum. My doctor and I both thought it was gall bladder related. No such luck. It was the pressure from the ascites.

The largest of my tumors was the size of a softball. It had completely taken over my left ovary, yet I did not feel any pain in the area.

I was amazed that Stage III ovarian cancer did not exhibit more painful symptoms. That's one of the things that makes OC so deadly - you'd think anyone that sick would be in severe pain.

Carlene