getting nervious my port to be put in tomorrow

ElizabethB
ElizabethB Member Posts: 89
Wow I am nervous I will be getting my port put in in the morning I hope they can find a vein they sure blew the one and only one I had left in my hand. I have such bad veins I think this port will not only help me with my chemo it will help me with blood draws that they say I will need the next day to check my white blood count .....

Comments

• Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    I had a port installed and I
    I had a port installed and I never regretted it. It made infusions so much easier. I used it for my Herceptin infusions which lasted a year. The port came in handy and I sure got plenty of good use of it, too.
    BL
  • Cindy2853
    Cindy2853 Member Posts: 4
    New port
    I won't say it's a piece of cake to have the port put in, but it's not bad. The surgery didn't take long at all, but it will be sore for a few days. However, by week 2 I barely knew it was there. I sure wouldn't have wanted to go through chemo without it. It really did make it a lot easier. My only issue was my seat belt in my car lay right on top of where they put my port. I found if I put a small pillow between me and the seat belt that helped. Good luck!
  • Katmy
    Katmy Member Posts: 93
    I had vien issues, too. I
    I had vien issues, too. I told the nurse who prepped me that I was a "hard stick." She then had the most experienced person find my vein. Immediately, they can use heat packs and hanging your arm to bring the veins to the surface. I was nervous, too. It turned out to be fine.

I hope their tricks of the trade work on you as well. Try to think about how convenient the port will be.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    I had a port and it worked
    great. It didn't hurt, just a little sore in that area for a few days.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Elizabeth
    I too have bad veins and it took 3 tries but they got the IV going and the placement of the port went well. I was awake and aware of everything going on but I didn't feel anything. You will be so glad to have it in for chemo. If you are a HER2 + and need Herceptin for a year the port can be used. Wishing you well tomorrow.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Draws via the port will
    Draws via the port will depend on where you go. I never had a blood draw prior to infusion (16) via port. I have great veins and it doesn't bother me at all to do them via vein. The only time i had a draw done via port was just recently as I needed on done before my last 6 mth appt with Chemo - it just happened to be the day I needed a flush so it was drawn then - still had to go back the next day for another draw because my PA wanted to check something else.

All my draws were done before infusion not the next day.

Forgot to add - my port was put in one day and I started A/C the next. I did get out of doing barn chores for 2 weeks but was riding 2 days and giving lessons.

We are all so different!
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    Rague said:

Draws via the port will
    Draws via the port will depend on where you go. I never had a blood draw prior to infusion (16) via port. I have great veins and it doesn't bother me at all to do them via vein. The only time i had a draw done via port was just recently as I needed on done before my last 6 mth appt with Chemo - it just happened to be the day I needed a flush so it was drawn then - still had to go back the next day for another draw because my PA wanted to check something else.

All my draws were done before infusion not the next day.

Forgot to add - my port was put in one day and I started A/C the next. I did get out of doing barn chores for 2 weeks but was riding 2 days and giving lessons.

We are all so different!

Have No regrets...
    I am so happy to have the port. The surgery is fairly short with minimal pain/soreness for a few days after the surgery. Chemo and blood draws have been a piece of cake with the port. Painless vs constant neddle pokes (course I have a neddle phobia). Esp, if you have problems with viens...this is a medical miricle.

Best wishes for tomorrow.
    Hugs~
    Mitzi ;0)
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Mitzi333 said:

Have No regrets...
    I am so happy to have the port. The surgery is fairly short with minimal pain/soreness for a few days after the surgery. Chemo and blood draws have been a piece of cake with the port. Painless vs constant neddle pokes (course I have a neddle phobia). Esp, if you have problems with viens...this is a medical miricle.

Best wishes for tomorrow.
    Hugs~
    Mitzi ;0)

you'll love it
    AND, having it placed is a very simple procedure! Best wishes.
    Marsha
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Time wise
    Not long for me. Hubby was told told that I was leaving OR so he took off to feed horses (ew'd already talked about it). I woke up in OP and went straight to to discharge - they called him to come get me before he even got to the barn. Started Chemp the next day.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I did not have chemo
    So I can not relate..but just thinking of you and hope all goes well..

Denise
  • Hippiechick58
    Hippiechick58 Member Posts: 320

I did not have chemo
    So I can not relate..but just thinking of you and hope all goes well..

Denise

I had my power port
    I had my power port installed with my BMX, so I never felt any pain from it. I was too busy screaming from the sugical pain! But seriously, it's the best thing I've ever done, as it spares my sensitive veins.

Good Luck. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers,
    Dianne
  • pokrydi
    pokrydi Member Posts: 99

I had my power port
    I had my power port installed with my BMX, so I never felt any pain from it. I was too busy screaming from the sugical pain! But seriously, it's the best thing I've ever done, as it spares my sensitive veins.

Good Luck. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers,
    Dianne

I have had 2 chemos so far
    I have had 2 chemos so far and love the port I have a cream I put on my skin 1 hour before chemo and it numbs the area so don't feel a thing. It's worth having. Di