post mastectomy

smend
smend Member Posts: 4
Hi, I'm new to the group. I just had a mastectomy done on Monday and had a question. Is it normal to have terrible pain when trying to get out of bed? I feel like my whole right side is going to cave in. My husband has to lift me up so I can get up.

thanks for the help.

Comments

• Hippiechick58
    Hippiechick58 Member Posts: 320
    Welcome! I had a BLMX this
    Welcome! I had a BLMX this past September. I had a terrible time getting out of bed. My husband had to lift me up also and I've heard of women attaching some type of straps to the footboard to help with getting up also. You are barely out of the woods, in terms of recovery time, so expect to feel some pain for the first few weeks, anyway. If, however, you feel that the pain is severe (8 or 10 out of 10) then you should contact your Dr. Don't forget that you've had a lot of surgical work done on that side (muscles, tendons, etc.) Are you doing the exercises that they gave you? I did mine even though I was in pain and I think that helped somewhat.

I am sorry that you have to experience this and I hope your pain dissapates soon.

"May you be at Peace, May you be free of Suffering,"
    Dianne
  • pinkapples
    pinkapples Member Posts: 54 Member
    Welcome
    Sorry you have to join our group, but I'm glad you found this board; the info here is vast and you will find much comfort here :)
    I had a bilat mastectomy with immediate placement of expanders (are you reconstructing?) I also experienced diffulty with getting up and down. I found sleeping in the recliner or being propped up a good option in the beginning. I remember having to be pushed up out of bed as well! It takes a while, be patient and let yourself heal, these beginning days are trying and you have gone through alot> come here as often as you can for advice and support, this is an amazing group of women.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

Welcome
    Sorry you have to join our group, but I'm glad you found this board; the info here is vast and you will find much comfort here :)
    I had a bilat mastectomy with immediate placement of expanders (are you reconstructing?) I also experienced diffulty with getting up and down. I found sleeping in the recliner or being propped up a good option in the beginning. I remember having to be pushed up out of bed as well! It takes a while, be patient and let yourself heal, these beginning days are trying and you have gone through alot> come here as often as you can for advice and support, this is an amazing group of women.

Yes--it hasn't been that long since your surgery
    It will take time for all that to heal, so try to be patient and pamper yourself. Take whatever help you need. Heck, I had trouble getting out of bed after my lumpectomy/axillary node dissection. I remember my husband had to grab both my hands and let me pull myself up slowly and carefully.

You'll get there--I promise!

Hugs, Renee
  • Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    missrenee said:

Yes--it hasn't been that long since your surgery
    It will take time for all that to heal, so try to be patient and pamper yourself. Take whatever help you need. Heck, I had trouble getting out of bed after my lumpectomy/axillary node dissection. I remember my husband had to grab both my hands and let me pull myself up slowly and carefully.

You'll get there--I promise!

Hugs, Renee

I hope you are feeling better very soon
    For what it is worth, I had the same trouble getting up from a prone position. My friend told me to get a wedge pillow, sometimes called a "husband". That kept me propped up a bit and made a world of difference. Take it easy on yourself and feel better soon.

Clementine
  • smend
    smend Member Posts: 4

I hope you are feeling better very soon
    For what it is worth, I had the same trouble getting up from a prone position. My friend told me to get a wedge pillow, sometimes called a "husband". That kept me propped up a bit and made a world of difference. Take it easy on yourself and feel better soon.

Clementine

post mastectomy
    thanks for letting me know I'm normal so far. I guess I'm just nervous something went wrong. I'm not used to having limitations so I need to work on patience. I am having reconstruction and have the expander in now. I've just never felt pain like this before. I've been spoiled.
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    smend said:

post mastectomy
    thanks for letting me know I'm normal so far. I guess I'm just nervous something went wrong. I'm not used to having limitations so I need to work on patience. I am having reconstruction and have the expander in now. I've just never felt pain like this before. I've been spoiled.

sounds like
    you are doing quite well, I even needed help getting dressed!
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hey smend,
    I actually slept in the recliner in our family room for 10 days until my drain was removed. I just found that easier.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • PinkPearl
    PinkPearl Member Posts: 280
    sounds perfectly normal
    I had a bilateral in November and I was so sore for about 2 weeks that my husband did have to lift me up and lay me down on my badk and put a pillow under my legs in the bed. I could barely lift my legs when flat on my back. Also try pillows under your arms to lift them up a bit. Really helped me to feel comfortable. I moved to the guest room for about a week or two. I was afraid I would wake my husband up all night. Ohhh he even set the alarm clock and brought me my pain meds in the middle of the night for a few nights. I had expanders put in at the time of the bmx and the muscles were just so sore and the cut nerves were going crazy. It all gets much better with time!! Hand in there!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Welcome

I can't answer your question
    I can't answer your question as I had a lumpectomy, but, want to welcome you to this great supportive site of pink sisters.

Hugs, Megan