Sweat Lodge and Retreat

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
Just found out the dates for the Spring Sweat Lodge and Retreat - 2nd weekend in April. I'm #13 signed up for it so taking that as a positive!

The Sweat Lodge is an option you can do (if health allows) in the morning before the official start of the Retreat (noon). It is done by Lakota Veterans and is a very Spiritual Event.

The Retreat (just women - well except for male Veterans who sometimes talk to groups and they cook all our GREAT food - sometime they seranade us during meals) is through VA and the main focus deals with PTSD for women Veterans or spouses/SO's of Veterans with PTSD.

Susan

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I remember the last time you
    I remember the last time you did this~ and how spiritual and personally meanigful it was for you. I am glad you have decided to do it again~ it is indeed a healing experience. They have regular Sweats here on the reservation; I am certain that you will once again benefit from the Retreat! Good for you!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    chenheart said:

I remember the last time you
    I remember the last time you did this~ and how spiritual and personally meanigful it was for you. I am glad you have decided to do it again~ it is indeed a healing experience. They have regular Sweats here on the reservation; I am certain that you will once again benefit from the Retreat! Good for you!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

I'm going to make a dress to
    I'm going to make a dress to wear - me being me I think I'll be more comfortable trying to be more "Traditional".

Every weekend there is a Sweat at both Ft. Meade and Hot Springs VAs which is open to all Veterans and their 'family'. Being a close as we are to Pine Ridge Rosebud and Standing Rock there are MANY Lakota Vets here. I'm going to have to check on them as somewhere I sort of remember that 2 weeks were men only and the other 2 weeks were "co-ed" for lack of a better term. Sandy is now thinking that he wants to go to one and when Son comes back for vacation this summer he definately wants to. The Sweat before the Retreat is limited to women as a prep for the Retreat (IF you want to do it but not required) and the only men will be the Conductor and Fire Builder (are those the right words for them?).
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Rague said:

I'm going to make a dress to
    I'm going to make a dress to wear - me being me I think I'll be more comfortable trying to be more "Traditional".

Every weekend there is a Sweat at both Ft. Meade and Hot Springs VAs which is open to all Veterans and their 'family'. Being a close as we are to Pine Ridge Rosebud and Standing Rock there are MANY Lakota Vets here. I'm going to have to check on them as somewhere I sort of remember that 2 weeks were men only and the other 2 weeks were "co-ed" for lack of a better term. Sandy is now thinking that he wants to go to one and when Son comes back for vacation this summer he definately wants to. The Sweat before the Retreat is limited to women as a prep for the Retreat (IF you want to do it but not required) and the only men will be the Conductor and Fire Builder (are those the right words for them?).

It sounds awesome! The
    It sounds awesome! The "conductor" would more than likely have the term Sweat Leader, and the Fire Builder is known as the Fire Keeper...at least where we are!