Pity Party

Hi! Haven't been on in a while, but... I need to know if this is "normal" or if I'm losing it. I have been done with active treatment since January 7th. I'm taking Arimidex for the next 5 years. I I'm feeling okay, except tired and my joints ache, but nothing horrendous. I'm down, and I'm not sure why. I would hate to think I'm so shallow as to miss the attention of the illness. I just want to curl in a ball and watch the world go by. Nothing seems worth the effort. I ave to talk myself into doing anything out of the house. When I do, it's nice, but I would be just as happy at home. I've been taking Lexapro for the last 5 years (I was ready to go off it right before I was diagnosed - timing is everything. What's up with me? I should be dancing for joy. I'm done with surgeries, chemo, rads, etc. Hopefully, I will be clear for ever more; so why am I ready to cry? Has anyone else gone through this? Thanks.

Comments

• lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    different than your experience
    but, they switched me from lexapro and I am feeling much better. I think you may be feeling some of the side effects of the arimidex and should talk to your oncol about it. I am almost 3 years with arimidex and it is pretty much a challenging drug to stick with. But, I promised my daughters, so I stick with it. Hope you can get some answers from your doctor and start feeling better soon! Hugs to you!
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Quilting Mama,
    I've shared this before when discussing the drug Arimidex, but for me, my body didn't react very well with it. One of the symptoms I had was despondency...just a feeling of gloom. I mean, I'd wake up already feeling like I had the weight on my shoulders. And this was after all treatments and surgeries.

There could possibly be other factors contributing to this feeling, and I had felt down from time to time throughout the treatment but this was something I couldn't shake. My oncologist did take me off the Arimidex for other reasons (severe joint pain) and in a few weeks I noticed I didn't have that "gloomy" feeling. I think that drug just didn't react with my body very well.

I hope and pray you feel better.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    I am sorry I am not able to
    I am sorry I am not able to help you as I haven't even started my chemo yet. But I want to tell you that I LOVE your PICTURE. And to suggest that maybe when you feel down, try to make a connection with nature. It has helped me a lot. Walk by yourself and stair at the trees and smell the fresh air. Keep plants around.

Is that your dog? Beautiful. Try to talk to him too. I have a cat and I talk to her. She makes me feel better. Animals can give you so much positive energy sometimes that it can even cure your depression!

In terms of the medication I suggest talking to your Doc. about it and see if he/she can suggest something better for your treatment - or should I say, something you can tolerate better.

Good luck and smile. Your are healthy!

Love
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

I am sorry I am not able to help you as I haven't even started my chemo yet. But I want to tell you that I LOVE your PICTURE. And to suggest that maybe when you feel down, try to make a connection with nature. It has helped me a lot. Walk by yourself and stair at the trees and smell the fresh air. Keep plants around.

Is that your dog? Beautiful. Try to talk to him too. I have a cat and I talk to her. She makes me feel better. Animals can give you so much positive energy sometimes that it can even cure your depression!

In terms of the medication I suggest talking to your Doc. about it and see if he/she can suggest something better for your treatment - or should I say, something you can tolerate better.

Love

Sounds like a chemical thing to me
    I'm done with treatment as well and have been on Arimidex since July '10. I was put on Zoloft shortly after diagnosis in Jan. '10 and have been on it ever since. Most days, I'm pretty even but I do have some "blue" days. My doctor and I have made the decision to stay on the Zoloft for a while--I'm thinking this is making a difference.

If you are truly suffering from depression--it is quite normal after treatment ends. Yes, we think we should be on top of the world, but our "normal" has changed forever and nothing is the same. For me, in the back of my mind, is a fear of recurrence as well. Unfortunately, depression cannot always be alleviated by the things around us. It's chemical and sometimes requires chemicals (drugs) to alleviate it.

Talk to your doctor and know that what you are feeling is very common but can be treated so that life has meaning again and you start to enjoy it.

Good luck.

Hugs, Renee
  • Findingout
    Findingout Member Posts: 132
    It can certainly be
    It can certainly be chemical. Have you talked to your doctor about it? I'd do that first. But also there are lots of ways to express big emotions. Relief, loss. Even though cancer is 'negative,' and something you want to get over with, it becomes a way of life. Including that people respond to us differently.

I'm just a newbie, started chemo last month. But I can see that when this is all over, and I am thrust back into life "as it was before" - it won't really be "as it was before", will it? I've wondered how I'm gonna move on, weird as that sounds.

Also you might search online and find information. I hope you find some answers.

Hugs,
    LynD
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Feeling Down After Treatment is Finished
    Another possibility (or another contributing factor that may be exacerbating your physical reaction to the Arimidex) is something I was warned about--during treatment, we're seeing so many doctors and nurses, etc. quite often, and they are always trying to boost our spirits. After treatment, we suddenly are not seeing them as often. It's sort of like post-holiday let-down--of course, treatment is no holiday by any stretch of the imagination! But the "blues" arise because we aren't getting the same people connections & feedback that we were throughout our treatment period.

One aspect of this is that life is "supposed" to go back to "normal," but it doesn't. We have to establish a new normal, because our lives are forever changed by the fact that we've battled cancer. Everything we did before, everything we enjoyed before, has been overwhelmed & influenced by the months of treatment, both by the physical effects and by the emotional effects. It's really difficult to enjoy things we used to do after such a long hiatus.

I'm supposed to be writing my dissertation. I finished treatment last summer at the end of June. It took me until mid-February this year, more than 7 months, to get myself mentally back into my research--I just couldn't get excited about it. I felt foggy, out of focus . . . as if my research was just no longer of any importance in my life. It all seemed very far away, and I was feeling very depressed about it all. I would try to force myself to do some research, but would find myself messing around on FaceBook or reading fiction or wandering around the house within 10 or 15 minutes of beginning to work.

Then, it was almost as if somebody flipped my on-switch back on, and I'm able to work many hours a day on my research. I'm interested in it again!

But remember--it took me over seven months post-treatment to get to this point, and I'm still somewhat foggy. I just don't remember things I need to remember; I don't feel as if my brain is back to normal yet even though I'm engaged in my life again.

I keep reminding myself that I'm still recuperating. The doctors and nurses told me it would take around a year for me to feel back to normal, and I've had to fight to get as far as I have as "fast" as I have.

One thing that has really helped me is physical activity/exercise. Studies have shown that exercise, even gentle exercise, helps lift depression, and I knew it would help me reduce my risk of recurrence, too. First, I got into a gentle yoga class even before my rads ended in June. Second, last fall I found a walking partner through my church and begin walking at my local mall. So I started only one new thing at a time and have added gradually. I worked up my walking speed and distance gradually, too, and I'm now walking 3 miles a day five days a week. I go to yoga 2-3 times a week. Last week I even started riding my bike again--OW! I only rode a few blocks the first day, but it felt so good to be out in the sunshine! (when we have some)

I definitely agree that getting outside and immersing oneself in nature can help a lot--there's something about getting out in some sunshine that helps lift depression.

I think finding a partner to walk with and getting to know someone in my yoga class well have really helped me keep going, too--I force myself to go even when I don't feel like going because I know there's someone waiting for me and because people will ask me where I've been if I don't go.

Lots of luck to you--I hope you find some useful solutions soon!

Hugs, Sandy
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

Love

Give yourself some time...
    You've only been out of treatment a few months...I can't comment on side effects of Arm..I'm triple negative so not on any hormone blockers...But, I understand how you feel...I am 17 months out from all treatment...Stage II, IDC...lumpectomy, chem, rads...It took me a good while to get where I m today..back to enjoying life, energy returning...Wanting to leave the house...I would have been happy to have never left the house when undergoing treatment..Finally figured out why....I felt safe at home...it was my cocoon...No one was going to slice me, poke me with needles,or zap me with rads....My husband treated me like a Queen...adult kids were fantastic...etc...But I also felt depressed...I had fought for my life for almost a year..then BOOM, done...it was like "now what do I do?". My oncologist and radiation oncologist both told me that those thoughts and feelings were perfectly normal...Our body and mind have been traumatized...People think,"oh she's fine now"...well, we're not! And you can't make someone who hasn't walked in our shoes understand that...I worked through it...one day at a time...wondering if I'd ever feel the same again...I finally realized that my life before bc was gone and as they say, I had to find my "NEW NORMAL"...Again, I took it one day at a time and gradually, slowly, I began to enjoy all the things that brought me joy and pleasure before bc....Not for a minute would I tell you it was easy...it just took time...

Now it's time next month for my mammo with blood work and oncology visit in June...I always hold my breath, as we all do..but I couldn't control getting bc in the first place, and I can't control , heaven forbid if it comes back....We just do the best we can...

Be kind to yourself, don't beat yourself up about your feelings...they're normal, considering what you've been through..take it one day at a time...
    Peace be with you
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Did you finish rads in January?
    I was told that the fatigue could last for months. It has been suggested that not only are we susceptible to depression, but to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Perfectly normal reaction.

Once 'active' treatment is done - tho I think we are still active while on Arimidex, Tamoxifen & Femara - we might feel that we are no longer fighting. I know that I also am seasonally affected and am looking dorward to Spring.

I've been on Arimidex since last June and I have aches, pains, fatigue and absolutely no drive/desire/ambition. I am starting Effexor and hoping for the best.

As a very wise woman has said, 'You do what you have to do so that you can do what you want to do'.

Talk to your Doc.

Positive thoughts & big hugs,

Sue
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    When I was
    going through menopause I was dx with clinical depression. I was on Wellbutrin for the past 10 years. I had just stopped taking it one month before I was dx with bc. Surprisingly I'm feeling emotionally ok. I too have been taking Arimidex since Jan 2011 and will be on it for 5 years. I see my onc in 2 weeks and I have made a list of changes I've noticed. My worst side effect is horrendous hot flashes that leave me dripping wet. I'm seeing my gyn on Monday to discuss what I can safely take to lessen the severity. Some have suggested Effexor.

I've been so occupied with watching my 3 & 5 yo granddaughters Mon - Fri that I've had no time to relax. When I was depressed I sounded just like you in that I would rather stay at home and SLEEP. I do feel a bit out of sorts because chemo & rads are over but still feeling anxious re tests and what the future holds for me.

Hoping that you feel emotionally better,
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    cahjah75 said:

When I was
    going through menopause I was dx with clinical depression. I was on Wellbutrin for the past 10 years. I had just stopped taking it one month before I was dx with bc. Surprisingly I'm feeling emotionally ok. I too have been taking Arimidex since Jan 2011 and will be on it for 5 years. I see my onc in 2 weeks and I have made a list of changes I've noticed. My worst side effect is horrendous hot flashes that leave me dripping wet. I'm seeing my gyn on Monday to discuss what I can safely take to lessen the severity. Some have suggested Effexor.

I've been so occupied with watching my 3 & 5 yo granddaughters Mon - Fri that I've had no time to relax. When I was depressed I sounded just like you in that I would rather stay at home and SLEEP. I do feel a bit out of sorts because chemo & rads are over but still feeling anxious re tests and what the future holds for me.

Hoping that you feel emotionally better,
    {{hugs}} Char

I had my up's and down's.
    I had my up's and down's. Even when I was done with active treatment. I think I was even more depressed when treatment was done. I had more time to think about everything. Try and think positive and stay as busy as you can. Hugs
    Kathy~
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Depression
    If you were on Lexapro before being diagnosed then you of course can expect to stay on some sort of anti-depressant after treatment as well. Perhaps the cange that has occured as a result of treatment has rendered the Lexapro inneffective. You may want to talk to your perscriber about a different anti depressant. There are many out there so at least you can have a try at something different.
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Depression
    If you were on Lexapro before being diagnosed then you of course can expect to stay on some sort of anti-depressant after treatment as well. Perhaps the cange that has occured as a result of treatment has rendered the Lexapro inneffective. You may want to talk to your perscriber about a different anti depressant. There are many out there so at least you can have a try at something different.