scared to death

Len611
Len611 Member Posts: 3
two weeks ago I was diagnosed with invasive moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma.I am in stage IIIb and scared to death that I will not be able to overcome this infirmity. I saw a surgeon last week who did not recommend surgery and referred me to an oncologist for radiation therapy. Anyone out there who survived stage IIIb that can give positive feedback.The cancer is 8mm mass centralized in the upper left lung and not any where else at this point.

Lenny

Comments

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Lenny
    Sorry you had to find us. I was staged at 1aNOMO and had VATS to remove my lower right lobe. So far so good. I know how scary it is, but there are treatments that can be done to help try and cure this cancer. The oncologist will determine what treatments will be required to treat you. Hopefully some other stage lllb survivors will respond. You may also do a search on the stage and see what comes up. Please keep us posted. Lori
  • sissylu1
    sissylu1 Member Posts: 66 Member
    club no one wants to join
    I'm not going to tell you not to freak out because that is exactly how you are probably feeling right now..I had my right middle lobe removed in December and not by Vats but the old way so still recovering and being followed by an oncologist even though I am lucky enough to be staged 1a. I spent a ton of time on the internet (which can be good and bad) and from everything I have read cancer, surgery and treatment responds differently in everyone's body..if you are a smoker quit-I did the minute I recieved the diagnosis so I know that is easier said than done..I am also a mental health professional and when my surgeon suggested I start taking zanax for anxiety I was almost insulted, but when my anxiety was getting worse I consented and glad that I did. I have read many blogs about people whose radiation treatments shrunk the tumor enough to then be surgically removed successfully-if the cancer has not spread anywhere else that is also a great thing-it's hard to look for the positives in these situations and that's where you need a good support system to point them out to you when you cannot see them..I will pray for you and this is a great site for information and support!
  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    good stuff
    The other respondents to date have done a splendid job in expressing what this is all about. It is doable, but you have every right to be 'scared to death'.

If we have no previous experience with cancer, ourselves or among our loved ones and friends, particularly with those who have survived, when we hear the news of our own cancer (or the cancer of our loved ones) we instantly think 'death sentence'.

As this site attests to, cancer is not a death sentence. Or at least does not have to be, at least is not always a death sentence, to be most honest.

I am a survivor of head/neck (3b) cancer and lung cancer and am now all clear on the head/neck cancer (five years and beyond) and NED (No Evidence of Disease) with the lung cancer, after more than two years (lower right lobectomy).

8mm, lenny, is really rather small in cancer terms. Many folks talk about cancers not being discovered until they are many centimeters in diameter. In my own case, the original node was confirmed at 4mm and they had to WAIT before biopsying it because it was not large enough at 4mm to confirm type or whether it was mets or new primary (I was previously head/neck cancer survivor).

If it is 3b, lenny, I am assuming that it has reached beyond that single lobe? Perhaps to some adjacent lymph nodes? If that is not the case, I would question why they would simply not remove the lobe, depending on your age, health, habits and so forth.

If I can make a suggestion, lenny, if you smoke, quit. If you don't exercise, start, even if it is a 10-15 minute walk along the street. If it is that your condition makes it so that surgery is not an option, make it so that surgery is an option.

If it is that they think rads will knock it all out, all the power to you. From what I hear, rads to the lung are not a walk in the park, but they beat the alternative (I had 33 daily rads to head/neck, and they weren't so easy either, but I'm still smiling). And surg is not so much fun either although you do get to sleep through it :).

I wish you the best.

Take care,

Joe
  • NayPaul
    NayPaul Member Posts: 230 Member
    hope exists...
    Pretty scary stuff no doubt Lenny. My wife was dx as stage iv in september. Six months later the tumor has shrunk 85%. All bone cancer appears to have well... disappeared. She lifts weights 3 times per weeks and walks 4 to five days a week... she has only gotten serious about exercising since her dx. Two weeks ago she climbed 40 flights of stairs. She decided that this is scary and she does not know what the future will bring, but after getting her head clear does not want fear to immobilize her.....hope this helps.
  • HARRYT
    HARRYT Member Posts: 1
    I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH STAGE
    I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH STAGE IV IN JULY 2009. INOPERABLE. I HAD 7 CYCLES OF CHEMO AND THE TUMOR IN MY RIGHT LUNG AND 3 LYMPH NODES HAVE SHRUNK. THE APPARENT SPREAD TO MY SPINE AND HIP HAS STOPPED. IT HAS BEEN OVER A YEAR NOW SINCE THE LAST CHEMO. I FEEL GOOD AND HAVE GAINED 20 LBS. I HAD A PET SCAN LAST WEEK. WILL GET THE RESULTS NEXT WEDS. ALTHOUGH YOU ARE FACING A TERRIBLE SITUATION, THERE IS HOPE. I AM TRULY BLESSED. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
  • NayPaul
    HARRYT said:

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH STAGE
    I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH STAGE IV IN JULY 2009. INOPERABLE. I HAD 7 CYCLES OF CHEMO AND THE TUMOR IN MY RIGHT LUNG AND 3 LYMPH NODES HAVE SHRUNK. THE APPARENT SPREAD TO MY SPINE AND HIP HAS STOPPED. IT HAS BEEN OVER A YEAR NOW SINCE THE LAST CHEMO. I FEEL GOOD AND HAVE GAINED 20 LBS. I HAD A PET SCAN LAST WEEK. WILL GET THE RESULTS NEXT WEDS. ALTHOUGH YOU ARE FACING A TERRIBLE SITUATION, THERE IS HOPE. I AM TRULY BLESSED. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

balance
    Harryt..... these are the types of stories that bring much needed balance to my life.... thanks.
  • Len611
    Len611 Member Posts: 3

good stuff
    The other respondents to date have done a splendid job in expressing what this is all about. It is doable, but you have every right to be 'scared to death'.

If we have no previous experience with cancer, ourselves or among our loved ones and friends, particularly with those who have survived, when we hear the news of our own cancer (or the cancer of our loved ones) we instantly think 'death sentence'.

As this site attests to, cancer is not a death sentence. Or at least does not have to be, at least is not always a death sentence, to be most honest.

I am a survivor of head/neck (3b) cancer and lung cancer and am now all clear on the head/neck cancer (five years and beyond) and NED (No Evidence of Disease) with the lung cancer, after more than two years (lower right lobectomy).

8mm, lenny, is really rather small in cancer terms. Many folks talk about cancers not being discovered until they are many centimeters in diameter. In my own case, the original node was confirmed at 4mm and they had to WAIT before biopsying it because it was not large enough at 4mm to confirm type or whether it was mets or new primary (I was previously head/neck cancer survivor).

If it is 3b, lenny, I am assuming that it has reached beyond that single lobe? Perhaps to some adjacent lymph nodes? If that is not the case, I would question why they would simply not remove the lobe, depending on your age, health, habits and so forth.

If I can make a suggestion, lenny, if you smoke, quit. If you don't exercise, start, even if it is a 10-15 minute walk along the street. If it is that your condition makes it so that surgery is not an option, make it so that surgery is an option.

If it is that they think rads will knock it all out, all the power to you. From what I hear, rads to the lung are not a walk in the park, but they beat the alternative (I had 33 daily rads to head/neck, and they weren't so easy either, but I'm still smiling). And surg is not so much fun either although you do get to sleep through it :).

I wish you the best.

Take care,

Joe

Thank you
    Thank you for your feedback and support. I am grateful for this website and for the hope that it provides. I no longer feel alone and am hopeful that all will be all right.Next week I go for an MRI to make sure the cancer has not spread to brain nor bone. Then off to get a medport installed for the chemo and rad tx that will begin. I know I must be strong and positive to fight this. Thank you all (soccerfreaks, naypaul etc) for your support. You all havr inspired me and here I go but for the Grace of God one day at a time
  • NayPaul
    Len611 said:

Thank you
    Thank you for your feedback and support. I am grateful for this website and for the hope that it provides. I no longer feel alone and am hopeful that all will be all right.Next week I go for an MRI to make sure the cancer has not spread to brain nor bone. Then off to get a medport installed for the chemo and rad tx that will begin. I know I must be strong and positive to fight this. Thank you all (soccerfreaks, naypaul etc) for your support. You all havr inspired me and here I go but for the Grace of God one day at a time

u r right
    These next few weeks will be like a whirlwind.... as I'm sure u have already noticed, with dr appointments and procedures. They in some ways are overwhelming in and of themselves. As many will tell u, they don't. Seem to come quickly enough as most want to get started withtreatment yesterday. Hopefully though as those flurries diminish, you can settle in, get the perspective you need, and start living again.