20th colonscopy Thurs

Comments

• Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    VickiSam said:

Denise .. I've never had 1 .. I was scheduled prior to
    being diagnosed with breast cancer. I am due .. scary! need to work on getting this procedure done ... soon.

Vicki Sam

Scared of this too, and,
    Scared of this too, and, even more so now. Yikes!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

Stef:
    I work with a Denise...but not many around and if so my age..no younger ones it seems.

well even after all meds wore off I HAD no pain-like every other year....so I must ask the Dr why they decided to do it...just odd...with so many and to do this time (Like i said different dr but she had all my past files)

Denise...

I am back at work as ususal...next day

faxed my doctor
    I sent fax asking why I was given pain meds ? and to put fax in my chart to NOT GIVE THEM TO ME again.

I have never had pain, no need to it-so not sure why they gave them to me. New doctor but in same practice-so she had my very THICK file to look over!

Denise
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

faxed my doctor
    I sent fax asking why I was given pain meds ? and to put fax in my chart to NOT GIVE THEM TO ME again.

I have never had pain, no need to it-so not sure why they gave them to me. New doctor but in same practice-so she had my very THICK file to look over!

Denise

I wonder why they gave you
    I wonder why they gave you the pain meds too Denise. Did I miss your results? Praying all is good!

Leeza
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Rague said:

My first Colonscopy I could
    My first Colonscopy I could have handled "puking" (well I did some in recovery which I have NEVER done after being 'knocked out' before) the PAIN and bloating was BAD! Thankfuly I had worn a very baggy/long sweatshirt - the jeans I wore in were not tight at all but could not get then within 3 inches of buttoning so I left with unbottomed jeans with sweat over them. Pain was worse that either C-section and they didn't even get the whole scope done.

Susan

Susan,
    I have read or heard

Susan,
    I have read or heard that sometimes it is difficult to get the scope through to the end of the colon. A thought for the future might be to see if they do or can refer you for a virtual colonoscopy. It is the same prep (ugh but doable) and they have to put air in the colon so bloating might be an issue but you will know to wear sweat pants with a stretchy waist. Not sure if your pain was from the bloating but they can give you some meds now that you know you have the problem. But what is good about the virtual is that they don't pass the camera in you but do it from the outside. it would allow they to see the last part of the colon. I know with my syndrome that is often the area where the cancer begins. They have no trouble getting all the way on me and I don't know why but I don't get bloating. Some do, some don't. I do cut back all my food and especially fiber etc the day before the prep but that might or might not make a difference. Just thought I would throw this out there should you ever need another one. I know you said you wouldn't do one but if it became necessary it's a thought. Have they said what the blockage was? It is such a pain in the a$$ (pun intended) when they can't get the job done.
    Stef
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    fauxma said:

Susan,
    I have read or heard

Susan,
    I have read or heard that sometimes it is difficult to get the scope through to the end of the colon. A thought for the future might be to see if they do or can refer you for a virtual colonoscopy. It is the same prep (ugh but doable) and they have to put air in the colon so bloating might be an issue but you will know to wear sweat pants with a stretchy waist. Not sure if your pain was from the bloating but they can give you some meds now that you know you have the problem. But what is good about the virtual is that they don't pass the camera in you but do it from the outside. it would allow they to see the last part of the colon. I know with my syndrome that is often the area where the cancer begins. They have no trouble getting all the way on me and I don't know why but I don't get bloating. Some do, some don't. I do cut back all my food and especially fiber etc the day before the prep but that might or might not make a difference. Just thought I would throw this out there should you ever need another one. I know you said you wouldn't do one but if it became necessary it's a thought. Have they said what the blockage was? It is such a pain in the a$$ (pun intended) when they can't get the job done.
    Stef

First I know I said that I
    First I know I said that I wouldn't do another one - but if 'push comes to shove' and it has to be done - I'll do it - I'll do whatever I have to in this fight. The suggestion of what to do in the future is a barium enema. Talked with PA a little bit and she says not to worry now - we'll talk about it in June at my annual. It was only done because she wanted to get a 'baseline' (for lack of the right word); be on the 'safe' side as IBC likes to met. to the colon (along with other places). Had no issues, all scans showed nothing - she just wanted to be careful - none of onco Drs thought it was needed but she's the one who writes the orders through VA so it was done.

As I understand it - he ran into a 'jumble' (word he used with Hubby) 2/3rds of the way in and could not get past it. He told Hubby that they had had to give me a lot of drugs to keep me out - I know they definately had me knocked out more than I've ever been - I usually wake up either in the OR or on the way to recovery.

Pain meds did not help with the pain at all. The next day Hubby took me to UC (the Dr in that day is the wife of the Dr who did the Scope the day before). Was told that it the pain and bloating was from the air they put in and that it'd just have to make it's way out. I even had 'sympathetic pain' (I think that's the term she used) in my shoulder above my port.

At least I know that there were no signs of issues in the area he was able to see but then we didn't expect to find any problems.

OH HAWELL - It's done and I'm over it so tomorrow is another day. Should anyone expect my experiences - HADES NO! But they can happen to us weirdos!

Susan
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    You are amazing, but I guess
    You are amazing, but I guess we do what we have to do? I have had 4 or 5 colonoscopies because of a strong family history of breast and colon cancer. Your recommendations are helpful and I will try to remember them as I will have another next year.

I have bad veins too and I have requested that I have my colonoscopy at the hospital. That way there are more available anesthesia folks to help. They often knock me out (per my request) using a smaller vein and then I wake up with a jugular (neck) vein catheter.

Also, the one time I had the procedure at an outpatient setting, I ended up having to be admitted that evening for dehydration from severe nausea and vomiting. The outpatient setting didn't have the nausea medication that I am able to use.

So maybe it is better to have a colonoscopy done in a hospital setting when possible?? At least for me it is ;-)
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
    Rague said:

"You're stronger man than I
    "You're stronger man than I am Gunga Din." (Rudyard Kipling)

I've only had 1 colonoscopy (Feb 4, 2011) and there is no way that I will EVER do another one (well short of a life and death situation) again! (The only reason it was done was that my PA wanted to be sure that there was nothing 'going on' there as the colon is one of the places that IBC likes to go) FOR ME - it was the worse thing I've had done - I hurt worse and for longer than after my 2 C-sections or my mast.. Even with all the pain (well I was totally knocked out for the procedure but woke up in recovery in major pain) - they were only able to access 2/3's of the colon anyway - ran into a "jumble".

My thoughts and prayers are definately with you!

Susan

Browsing from the Colon board
    Were you aware that colon cancer kills more people than BC?

Colonoscopies save lives, however, if they pose difficulties for you there are alternatives. The best one is a "virtual" colonoscopy using a CT scan.

Please, get checked regularly, and if you show any signs between regular checkups insist on one of the above tests. It very well could save your life.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Rague said:

"You're stronger man than I
    "You're stronger man than I am Gunga Din." (Rudyard Kipling)

I've only had 1 colonoscopy (Feb 4, 2011) and there is no way that I will EVER do another one (well short of a life and death situation) again! (The only reason it was done was that my PA wanted to be sure that there was nothing 'going on' there as the colon is one of the places that IBC likes to go) FOR ME - it was the worse thing I've had done - I hurt worse and for longer than after my 2 C-sections or my mast.. Even with all the pain (well I was totally knocked out for the procedure but woke up in recovery in major pain) - they were only able to access 2/3's of the colon anyway - ran into a "jumble".

My thoughts and prayers are definately with you!

Susan

Hi Susan
    I am surprised to read your post and hope that you are just throwing the I'll never do another one again comment in jest. IF you need to do one because you're in a life or death situation, the chances are better toward death. Colon cancer is one of the easiest to "cure" if caught early.

If you have issues that raise a flag for CC, do yourself a favor and get checked. If you think the colonoscopy is bad, wait until you get a load of the surgeries and chemo that follow...

Good health to you Susan (and others)
    -phil
    Living with Stage IV Colon Cancer for 7 years
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    PhillieG said:

Hi Susan
    I am surprised to read your post and hope that you are just throwing the I'll never do another one again comment in jest. IF you need to do one because you're in a life or death situation, the chances are better toward death. Colon cancer is one of the easiest to "cure" if caught early.

If you have issues that raise a flag for CC, do yourself a favor and get checked. If you think the colonoscopy is bad, wait until you get a load of the surgeries and chemo that follow...

-phil

Not in 'jest'
    I did not say that I do not intend to do a colonscoopy again in jest - there is no way that I find anything funny about it. Let me try to explain better what I meant.

I don't have 'flags' for CC. The Dr who did the Colonoscopy told me that if one is needed in the future to have a barium enema done. It was not done because there was any belief that there was something going on - none of my CT scans, MRI, PET showed anything to be concerned about (and he found nothing of concern in the part he was able to do). It was not ordered by my Oncologists but rather by my PA. She wanted to be sure there was nothing going on that didn't show on the scans as one of the places that IBC 'likes' to met. to is the colon so she wanted to get it done now 'just in case'/as a base line. So under the circumstance/reasons that this one was done - no I will not have another one done. IF there is a 'reason' (sorry I can't think of a better word) - you betcha - I'll do whatever I need to do. I have already had 2 different batches of Chemo (4 A/C and 12 Taxol), rads and a mod. rad. mast. in the last 1 1/2 yrs and am THANKFULLY riding NED (I'm stage 3 IBC). Hope that makes a bit more sense to you.

Susan
  • Buckwirth
    Colorectal Cancer
    Were you aware that March was Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month?

Congratulations to all here who were tested on schedule.  To those who doubt the importance of getting checked on schedule, I copied the information below from the ACS site:

Five Myths About Colorectal Cancer

Many times, colorectal cancer can be prevented. Still, it's one of the 5 most common cancers in men and women in the United States. Colorectal cancer is also one of the leading causes of cancer death in the United States. Don't let these 5 common myths stop you from getting the lifesaving tests you need, when you need them.

Myth: Colorectal cancer is a man’s disease.

Truth: Colorectal cancer is just as common among women as men. Each year, about 150,000 Americans are diagnosed with colorectal cancer, and about 50,000 die from the disease.

Myth: Colorectal cancer cannot be prevented.

Truth: In many cases colorectal cancer can be prevented. Colorectal cancer almost always starts with a small growth called a polyp. If the polyp is found early, doctors can remove it and stop colorectal cancer before it starts. These tests can find polyps: double contrast barium enema, flexible sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, or CT colonography (virtual colonoscopy).

Truth: African-American men and women are diagnosed with and die from colorectal cancer at higher rates than men and women of any other US racial or ethnic group. The reason for this is not yet understood.

Myth: Age doesn’t matter when it comes to getting colorectal cancer.

Truth: More than 90% of colorectal cancer cases are in people age 50 and older. For this reason, the American Cancer Society recommends you start getting tested for the disease at age 50. People who are at a higher risk for colorectal cancer -- such as those who have colon or rectal cancer in their families -- may need to begin testing at a younger age. Talk to your doctor about when you should start getting tested.

Myth: It’s better not to get tested for colorectal cancer because it’s deadly anyway.

Truth: Colorectal cancer is often highly treatable. If it is found and treated early (while it is small and before it has spread), the 5-year survival rate is about 90%. But because many people are not getting tested, only about 4 out of 10 are diagnosed at this early stage when treatment is most likely to be successful.
  • disneyfan2008

You are amazing, but I guess
    You are amazing, but I guess we do what we have to do? I have had 4 or 5 colonoscopies because of a strong family history of breast and colon cancer. Your recommendations are helpful and I will try to remember them as I will have another next year.

I have bad veins too and I have requested that I have my colonoscopy at the hospital. That way there are more available anesthesia folks to help. They often knock me out (per my request) using a smaller vein and then I wake up with a jugular (neck) vein catheter.

Also, the one time I had the procedure at an outpatient setting, I ended up having to be admitted that evening for dehydration from severe nausea and vomiting. The outpatient setting didn't have the nausea medication that I am able to use.

So maybe it is better to have a colonoscopy done in a hospital setting when possible?? At least for me it is ;-)

colonscopy like my mammo I NEVER MISS a year..
    not very pleasant but small price to find (if something to find) any issues early in the game...LIKE MY BC...
  • disneyfan2008
    jnl said:

I wonder why they gave you
    I wonder why they gave you the pain meds too Denise. Did I miss your results? Praying all is good!

Leeza

NO results yet
    Said all looked good...i had an appt set up for results and I was canceled by dr office...so must reschedule..

I would like to know why they did give me pain meds...never ever had them before...other then NEW doctor to me (in same practice) which had my very thick file to see in past)
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Buckwirth said:

Colorectal Cancer
    Were you aware that March was Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month?

Congratulations to all here who were tested on schedule.  To those who doubt the importance of getting checked on schedule, I copied the information below from the ACS site:

Five Myths About Colorectal Cancer

Many times, colorectal cancer can be prevented. Still, it's one of the 5 most common cancers in men and women in the United States. Colorectal cancer is also one of the leading causes of cancer death in the United States. Don't let these 5 common myths stop you from getting the lifesaving tests you need, when you need them.

Myth: Colorectal cancer is a man’s disease.

Truth: Colorectal cancer is just as common among women as men. Each year, about 150,000 Americans are diagnosed with colorectal cancer, and about 50,000 die from the disease.

Myth: Colorectal cancer cannot be prevented.

Truth: In many cases colorectal cancer can be prevented. Colorectal cancer almost always starts with a small growth called a polyp. If the polyp is found early, doctors can remove it and stop colorectal cancer before it starts. These tests can find polyps: double contrast barium enema, flexible sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, or CT colonography (virtual colonoscopy).

Truth: African-American men and women are diagnosed with and die from colorectal cancer at higher rates than men and women of any other US racial or ethnic group. The reason for this is not yet understood.

Myth: Age doesn’t matter when it comes to getting colorectal cancer.

Truth: More than 90% of colorectal cancer cases are in people age 50 and older. For this reason, the American Cancer Society recommends you start getting tested for the disease at age 50. People who are at a higher risk for colorectal cancer -- such as those who have colon or rectal cancer in their families -- may need to begin testing at a younger age. Talk to your doctor about when you should start getting tested.

Myth: It’s better not to get tested for colorectal cancer because it’s deadly anyway.

Truth: Colorectal cancer is often highly treatable. If it is found and treated early (while it is small and before it has spread), the 5-year survival rate is about 90%. But because many people are not getting tested, only about 4 out of 10 are diagnosed at this early stage when treatment is most likely to be successful.

I love your post!
    Thanks so much for the important myth busters. During various colonoscopies, my doc has removed polyps that could have ended up becoming cancer--so the procedure may have prevented another cancer for me. My dad and uncle had colon cancer. My great aunt had breast and colon cancer. I am not crazy about having colonoscopies, but, trust me, I will continue having them as often as my docs recommend.
  • disneyfan2008

I love your post!
    Thanks so much for the important myth busters. During various colonoscopies, my doc has removed polyps that could have ended up becoming cancer--so the procedure may have prevented another cancer for me. My dad and uncle had colon cancer. My great aunt had breast and colon cancer. I am not crazy about having colonoscopies, but, trust me, I will continue having them as often as my docs recommend.

no cancer in my family
    but I am at high risk of colon and as you know have had BC...

As much as I hate things I NEVER PUT anything off...the sooner the better to get it over with...
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

no cancer in my family
    but I am at high risk of colon and as you know have had BC...

As much as I hate things I NEVER PUT anything off...the sooner the better to get it over with...

You are one smart pink
    You are one smart pink sister to have this done! I am terrified of ever doing it myself and may never.

Good luck!
  • Buckwirth
    Megan M said:

You are one smart pink
    You are one smart pink sister to have this done! I am terrified of ever doing it myself and may never.

Good luck!

Megan
    At least get one of the alternatives. For most the only difficult part about the procedure is the prep.

I'm a man, but I just had a mammogram and a breast biopsy. If I can do that you can get a colonoscopy. ;)

Were you aware that colorectal cancer kills more people than breast cancer, and that if caught early it is preventable?

Caught late it is a terrible disease, and while I am early in my treatments, I would not wish this on anyone.

So please, everyone, get tested if you are over 50, or if you see blood in your stool, or if there is colon cancer in your family. Don't put it off, or think it can't happen to you.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

@Donna
    prep is much better then it used to be 18yrs ago

still not good though..

Hope you got good results
    Hope you got good results from your test disneyfan!

Lex
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    PhillieG said:

Hi Susan

-phil

My doctor keeps asking for
    My doctor keeps asking for me to have this test, but, I have always backed out. Congrats to you!

♥ Kristin ♥
  • Buckwirth
    Kristin N said:

My doctor keeps asking for
    My doctor keeps asking for me to have this test, but, I have always backed out. Congrats to you!

♥ Kristin ♥

Get it
    If only for the wonderful drugs! ;-)

The most difficult thing is the prep, but that is over quickly, and it could save yor life.

Me, I ignored the signs, so on January 11th I awoke from surgery with my butt glued shut, and a pretty bag attached to my abdomen. Please, don't join me in this club! Get tested!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Rague said:

First I know I said that I
    First I know I said that I wouldn't do another one - but if 'push comes to shove' and it has to be done - I'll do it - I'll do whatever I have to in this fight. The suggestion of what to do in the future is a barium enema. Talked with PA a little bit and she says not to worry now - we'll talk about it in June at my annual. It was only done because she wanted to get a 'baseline' (for lack of the right word); be on the 'safe' side as IBC likes to met. to the colon (along with other places). Had no issues, all scans showed nothing - she just wanted to be careful - none of onco Drs thought it was needed but she's the one who writes the orders through VA so it was done.

As I understand it - he ran into a 'jumble' (word he used with Hubby) 2/3rds of the way in and could not get past it. He told Hubby that they had had to give me a lot of drugs to keep me out - I know they definately had me knocked out more than I've ever been - I usually wake up either in the OR or on the way to recovery.

Pain meds did not help with the pain at all. The next day Hubby took me to UC (the Dr in that day is the wife of the Dr who did the Scope the day before). Was told that it the pain and bloating was from the air they put in and that it'd just have to make it's way out. I even had 'sympathetic pain' (I think that's the term she used) in my shoulder above my port.

At least I know that there were no signs of issues in the area he was able to see but then we didn't expect to find any problems.

OH HAWELL - It's done and I'm over it so tomorrow is another day. Should anyone expect my experiences - HADES NO! But they can happen to us weirdos!

Susan

I know this is something we
    I know this is something we all should do. Thanks for sharing your experience with us and reminding us also.