set back for Angela

Angelasmom2
Angelasmom2 Member Posts: 146
Haven't been here in a longtime. Busy with life as it is. Angela got thru all her chemo treatments. Her CA 125 has consistantly come down from over 5000 to now 26. It was 36 just after her last chemno in Dec, now 26. The problem is the CT scan show two lisions, one about two inches in size. The dr. says it is either scar tissue or cancer. The lisions where not there in Dec. Has anyone experianced anything like this. The doctors where very optomistic, but this may change things. Things are very difficult for them at this point. They have three young children, her husband Monte, works and takes care of the family and has a job that has alot of responsiblity on him. His mother died of ovarian cancer August 2010. She is having a PET scan this Saturdy, March the 6th. Please pray for a good outcome. Linda, Angela's mom. P.S. For thoses who do not know. I live in Texas and they live in California.

Comments

• LaundryQueen
    LaundryQueen Member Posts: 676
    There is always something to worry about
    So it sounds like there is good news and bad news: the CA-125 is down but some spots showed up on the scan. The doctor is doing the right thing with the follow up testing.

I hope your daughter feels good. It is expected that she needs more rest and I am sure you want to be there to help her. I can imagine how worried you are and how helpless it is to be far away from your daughter. Remind yourself that there is still some good news to think about do your best to be positive--that's what really helps me.

When my daughter reminds me that I a too stubborn to let this disease win, I feel more confident that I AM going to win...and by winning, I mean to stay alive and carry on with my life. Wait a minute, I AM still alive so I am already winning! Same thing goes for your daughter.

Please keep us posted. I am praying for a good outcome on that PET scan.
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    good luck
    Keep hope it is not growth!!! Good Luck. Isn't she BRCA positive? If it IS growth I would definately look into a PARP trial. Women who are BRCA positive have good outcomes. Of course I understand with the kids. My younger two kids are 7 and 5. My husband works two jobs since I quit my job when I was diagnosed. My family live 2hrs away in NYC area. My in-laws are close but are elderly. Sometimes I feel my husband and I are on our own. My husband too carries a heavy burden and has been a source of strength for both of us.
    GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    similar situation
    Sorry to hear there are 2 lesions Where were they found? Mine were found in my abdominal aerota and abdominal lymhe node and my md suggested more chemo which I am still getting. Thank goodness Angela md is on top of things. I can't even imagine going through ca and having small children at home. Your daugter is young and I am sure shw will do fine God bless....val
  • Angelasmom2

There is always something to worry about
    So it sounds like there is good news and bad news: the CA-125 is down but some spots showed up on the scan. The doctor is doing the right thing with the follow up testing.

I hope your daughter feels good. It is expected that she needs more rest and I am sure you want to be there to help her. I can imagine how worried you are and how helpless it is to be far away from your daughter. Remind yourself that there is still some good news to think about do your best to be positive--that's what really helps me.

When my daughter reminds me that I a too stubborn to let this disease win, I feel more confident that I AM going to win...and by winning, I mean to stay alive and carry on with my life. Wait a minute, I AM still alive so I am already winning! Same thing goes for your daughter.

Please keep us posted. I am praying for a good outcome on that PET scan.

thank you for all the
    thank you for all the prayers
  • nancygt
    nancygt Member Posts: 86
    PET Scan
    Have they suggested PET scan because the sugar uptake there can show if they hace cancer growth pattern. My first two recurrence CT scans had lesions so small they were still suspicious but PET scan showed them clearly active. Because I tend to get numbers of new small tumors (example, last time went from 4 to 20 new tumors at base of lungs in 6 weeks), my doctor insists on combined CT/PET scan. Yes he does have to batttle insurer due to frequency and I know it may be tougher once I go on medicare but feels necessary. There are lots of good posts about CT versus PET scans and how they are useful in different ways. But if that is scar tissue, the Standard Uptake Value of a PET scan will not show growth or unusual growth.
  • Angelasmom2
    nancygt said:

PET Scan
    Have they suggested PET scan because the sugar uptake there can show if they hace cancer growth pattern. My first two recurrence CT scans had lesions so small they were still suspicious but PET scan showed them clearly active. Because I tend to get numbers of new small tumors (example, last time went from 4 to 20 new tumors at base of lungs in 6 weeks), my doctor insists on combined CT/PET scan. Yes he does have to batttle insurer due to frequency and I know it may be tougher once I go on medicare but feels necessary. There are lots of good posts about CT versus PET scans and how they are useful in different ways. But if that is scar tissue, the Standard Uptake Value of a PET scan will not show growth or unusual growth.

Pet scan
    Angela said the PET scan shows whether it is cancer or not. She is scared to death. She tells me it is more than they can bear. They combined CT/PET scan. The CT scan showed two lisions, one about 2 inches in size.In Nov. and Dec. she had a CT scan and they were all clear. They took the scans because she had a blocked intestine and then a blood clot near her colon. The lesions are near her colon, from what I understand.
  • Angelasmom2
    nancy591 said:

good luck
    Keep hope it is not growth!!! Good Luck. Isn't she BRCA positive? If it IS growth I would definately look into a PARP trial. Women who are BRCA positive have good outcomes. Of course I understand with the kids. My younger two kids are 7 and 5. My husband works two jobs since I quit my job when I was diagnosed. My family live 2hrs away in NYC area. My in-laws are close but are elderly. Sometimes I feel my husband and I are on our own. My husband too carries a heavy burden and has been a source of strength for both of us.
    GOOD LUCK!!!!

About the Parp trial, Angela
    About the Parp trial, Angela said the doctor in Houston, who is involved in that study, says that they will not take anyone unless they were clear of cancer for three months. Angela has lisions just 8 weeks after finishing her chemo.
  • Angelasmom2

Pet scan
    Angela said the PET scan shows whether it is cancer or not. She is scared to death. She tells me it is more than they can bear. They combined CT/PET scan. The CT scan showed two lisions, one about 2 inches in size.In Nov. and Dec. she had a CT scan and they were all clear. They took the scans because she had a blocked intestine and then a blood clot near her colon. The lesions are near her colon, from what I understand.

Angela's lisions
    correction. The lisions are in her lower abdominal area. Her surgery was 7-8-10. In Nov. and Dec. 2010, she had two CT scans, because of complications. The CT scans were clear of cancer. A CT scan was taken at the end of Februray 11, eight weeks after the CT scans had shown no cancer and now there are 2 lisions. One 2 cm in size. Her CA 125 went from 36 in December to 26 now. Does this sound like it could be scar tissue?
  • LaundryQueen
    LaundryQueen Member Posts: 676

Angela's lisions
    correction. The lisions are in her lower abdominal area. Her surgery was 7-8-10. In Nov. and Dec. 2010, she had two CT scans, because of complications. The CT scans were clear of cancer. A CT scan was taken at the end of Februray 11, eight weeks after the CT scans had shown no cancer and now there are 2 lisions. One 2 cm in size. Her CA 125 went from 36 in December to 26 now. Does this sound like it could be scar tissue?

The problem with scans
    Yes, of course it could be scar tissue however scar tissue won't "light up" on a PET scan. The PET scan is different from the CT scan--more of a functional test. Did anyone explain the difference to you? I am no expert but the way I understand it, the CT scan will show what are normal structures and what is abnormal. The radiologist uses the word "lesion" because he/she can't be specific about is showing as abnormal...it is just a picture.

Whenever someone has a history of cancer, any abnormal lesion is suspected as cancer because it is better to be over-cautious than over-complacent. Get it?

A lesion could be an abscess (infection), scar tissue, cyst or tumor. I don't know if adhesions show up on CT scans but adhesions CAN cause bowel obstructions.

PET scans are more expensive than CT scans so the docs prefer to do the CT first. But if they need to be more accurate to figure out the type of lesion, then the PET scan is called for.

I have heard it said that areas of inflammation will "light up" on a PET scan, too. Unfortunately, there really is no GOOD way to know for sure without removing the lesion or taking a biopsy.

Try to calm Angela's fears if you can. Many women have had new tumors show up after surgery and then shrink away with chemo. I had a whole lot of tumors grow back within 6 weeks after surgery (while I was healing from a bowel resection and trying to figure out what to do next) but the tumors are gone now after starting chemo.

I am hoping Angela doesn't need another surgery but surgery may be an option that the doctor will recommend. Tell her that she will get the best care whatever that is.

The CA-125 sounds good but you cannot trust in it 100%--that is why she is having more testing done. I truly believe in the power of prayer so keep those prayers going and I will, too.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834

Angela's lisions

Is the largest tumor 2
    Is the largest tumor 2 CENTIMETERS, or 2 INCHES, as your earlier post stated? BIG difference. Two centimeters is about 4/5 of an inch. A two inch tumor, on the other hand, that was not there in Dec, would be something I think the doctor might find worrisome.

The fact that her CA125 went DOWN, instead of up, is great. I think if she had active cancer, it would be heading the other direction.

There really isn't anything you or Angela can do, except wait for the results of the PET scan. My mom used to say, "Don't borrow trouble from tomorrow. There is plenty of it available today."

Carlene
  • Angelasmom2

Is the largest tumor 2
    Is the largest tumor 2 CENTIMETERS, or 2 INCHES, as your earlier post stated? BIG difference. Two centimeters is about 4/5 of an inch. A two inch tumor, on the other hand, that was not there in Dec, would be something I think the doctor might find worrisome.

The fact that her CA125 went DOWN, instead of up, is great. I think if she had active cancer, it would be heading the other direction.

There really isn't anything you or Angela can do, except wait for the results of the PET scan. My mom used to say, "Don't borrow trouble from tomorrow. There is plenty of it available today."

Carlene

i like that saying. that is
    i like that saying. that is bibical. it is 2 cm