CA125 and fresh raw juices during chemo

Hi, I was just wondering whether people could tell me what their CA125 was after each chemo round (particularly those with UPSC)?

Mums has gone from 10 (pre surgery), 100 (post surgery), 70 (after first chemo), and now 53 (after second chemo).

The doctor said it wasn't dropping as fast as he would have liked so I would like to get some feedback about what other people have had.

Mum has been really great drinking lots of fresh raw juices and boosting her immune system, I am however slightly concerned that it is preventing the chemo from working at its full potential. Any ideas on that?

Thanks ladies

Tali

Comments

• jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Tali
    I don't have your same cancer but another one that's just as aggressive MMMT. Pre-treatments my CA 125 was over 500 and after each of my next 6 chemo's the marker dropped (don't know exact amounts each time). After my last chemo session it was around 10 and today 1-1/2 years since last treatment it's steady at around 5. My doc tells me he can follow my marker as with others he cannot....mine showed progressively going down, therefore, reliable.

I've got a good friend who's an RN in oncology dept (23 yrs). She was my guide even when living in another state. One thing she told me, watch what I eat as the chemo must be able to do its work. One thing, don't go overboard with vitamins and lots of antioxidants. I only was taking a multi and calcium vitamin and a stool softener. I could eat some fruits and veggies but in moderation. Lots of antioxidants are like gates around a cancer cell and then chemo can't get around the gate and do it's work. Sorry....best way I can explain.

My suggestion, speak with your mom's doc. After the treatments I hit it right away with all the good eating and vitamins, but very cautious during the sessions.

Hope I answered your question.

Jan
  • willbesurvivor
    willbesurvivor Member Posts: 48
    jazzy1 said:

Tali
    I don't have your same cancer but another one that's just as aggressive MMMT. Pre-treatments my CA 125 was over 500 and after each of my next 6 chemo's the marker dropped (don't know exact amounts each time). After my last chemo session it was around 10 and today 1-1/2 years since last treatment it's steady at around 5. My doc tells me he can follow my marker as with others he cannot....mine showed progressively going down, therefore, reliable.

I've got a good friend who's an RN in oncology dept (23 yrs). She was my guide even when living in another state. One thing she told me, watch what I eat as the chemo must be able to do its work. One thing, don't go overboard with vitamins and lots of antioxidants. I only was taking a multi and calcium vitamin and a stool softener. I could eat some fruits and veggies but in moderation. Lots of antioxidants are like gates around a cancer cell and then chemo can't get around the gate and do it's work. Sorry....best way I can explain.

My suggestion, speak with your mom's doc. After the treatments I hit it right away with all the good eating and vitamins, but very cautious during the sessions.

Hope I answered your question.

Jan

Thanks Jan
    I will pass this onto mum. I tried to explain it to her but she finds it hard to understand how letting your body get sick could possibly help you.

At least the CA125 is going down, that's a positive. She is only having 4 rounds not 6 (apparently 4 is just as good as 6, no idea why) so by the 4th she should be under the 35 and then after radiation should be even lower. I see some people drop down to 6 or so after one treatment but still recur so I don't know how much it indicates whether every tiny little cell has gone or not, just that it's shrinking I guess.

It is all very confusing and scary! Just have to hope mum is lucky like you :-)

Thanks for your feedback.

Tali