chemo or no chemo, what do you think?

LRN715
LRN715 Member Posts: 34
Have my oncology appt the 15th, wish it were sooner. Have done lots of reading and it appears I could really be in for many different types of treatment. I am Stage 2, T2, Grade 3, Her2 Negative. What I am seeing is MAYBE chemo, radiation, and some form of pill for 5 years? I have IDC by the way, no node involvement. Does anyone see that maybe I will get lucky and not have chemo?

Comments

• joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    No option for me
    Because I am triple negative, chemo and radiation was strongly recommended as there are no drugs I can take...
    I didn't really feel like I had a choice. When first diagnosed, I was told I was Stage 0 and would need radiation which really upset me. After my 2 lumpectomies (2nd to get clean margins) I was restaged at Stage 1 and told not only rads but also chemo.
    My thinking was, if it recurs and I didn't do the chemo (or rads) I would be regret my decision and be really sorry...
    I had 6 rounds of chemo and am 1/3 through 33 rads.
    Chemo is totally doable, not pleasant or fun, but not nearly as bad as I had anticipated (I had memories of my brother's chemo in 1976 for melanoma which was horrible, but in 35 years, things have improved and there are meds to treat just about every side effect).
    I want to live and fight this battle with every tool available.
    Once you see your onc, you'll be able to ask questions...make a list, ask them all and don't leave until you feel that he has given you answers. I always say, "What have I forgotten to ask?" before the appointment is over. Remember, you can always get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion if you need it. You'll be seeing your onc for at least 5 years, so make sure that you like and trust him.
    This is my opinion--you are facing hard decisions and no one but you can make them.
    Good luck.
    Hugs,
    JoAnn
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    Suggestion
    I would suggest that you ask your oncologist about the OncoTypeDX test. That can be useful in determining if chemo would benefit you. The test is done if you are estrogen postive and I think now most insurance companies will pay for it. Good luck.

Hugs, Sally
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    Suggestion
    I would suggest that you ask your oncologist about the OncoTypeDX test. That can be useful in determining if chemo would benefit you. The test is done if you are estrogen postive and I think now most insurance companies will pay for it. Good luck.

Hugs, Sally
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    joannstar said:

No option for me
    Because I am triple negative, chemo and radiation was strongly recommended as there are no drugs I can take...
    I didn't really feel like I had a choice. When first diagnosed, I was told I was Stage 0 and would need radiation which really upset me. After my 2 lumpectomies (2nd to get clean margins) I was restaged at Stage 1 and told not only rads but also chemo.
    My thinking was, if it recurs and I didn't do the chemo (or rads) I would be regret my decision and be really sorry...
    I had 6 rounds of chemo and am 1/3 through 33 rads.
    Chemo is totally doable, not pleasant or fun, but not nearly as bad as I had anticipated (I had memories of my brother's chemo in 1976 for melanoma which was horrible, but in 35 years, things have improved and there are meds to treat just about every side effect).
    I want to live and fight this battle with every tool available.
    Once you see your onc, you'll be able to ask questions...make a list, ask them all and don't leave until you feel that he has given you answers. I always say, "What have I forgotten to ask?" before the appointment is over. Remember, you can always get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion if you need it. You'll be seeing your onc for at least 5 years, so make sure that you like and trust him.
    This is my opinion--you are facing hard decisions and no one but you can make them.
    Good luck.
    Hugs,
    JoAnn

No option for me I am er pr
    No option for me I am er pr pos her2 pos. First I had 2 nodes pos. I did 4 rounds of AC and 12 rounds of Taxol and 34 rads and 1 year herceptin. Currently on Tamoxifen. It is all doable, because you have to do it. No really,for me, it was not a walk in the park, but I got through it ok. I wish you the best of luck. Its so hard to make all the decisions.
    Kathy
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    We're all so different!
    I'm IBC (ER+) - no options for me - Chemo, surgery, Chemo, rads and 5 years of Femara (1+ year done - only a bit under 4 more yet to go. I would have done and will do ANYTHING that I need to do to keep the Monster at bay. I'm over a year since last Taxol - I still have my port and it's staying right where it is just in case I need it.

Susan
  • Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    Similar situation
    I had a similar situation as you. ILC, Stage IIa, grade 3, ER/PR+ and Her2-. Almost no node involvement (staged at zero). I was told that chemo increased my odds of not getting a recurrence by about 20% (went from about 60% to 80%). It was my choice, but I decided to have the chemo. To me, that made a big difference in my outcome. Also, I have to take Tamoxifen for 5 years (which upped my odds by about another 10%) since I was very ER/PR+. Your decision is very personal and I am sure you will do the right thing for yourself.

My chemo regimen was Adriamycin and Cytoxan every two weeks for 4 sessions and then Taxol every 2 weeks for 4 sessions as well. I think this is pretty standard. I ended up getting Taxol only twice and then Taxotere once b/c of some issues with neuropathy.

Also, I didn't need radiation at all, but I had a bilateral mastectomy. I think if you had a lumpectomy, there is a decent chance that they will want you to do radiation.

Good Luck to you! I hope that whatever your decision is that it goes very smoothly for you!

Clementine
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Suggestion
    The way I see it is that they consider all factors when making a recommendation. I see you are grade 3 which means the cells are aggressive (not friendly). I too have grade 3, with no lymph nodes involved, stage 2A, and some other invasion. For this reason, I was recommended to take chemo and radiation. A lot of cells are microscopic. And when they're not friendly, it's not good. So, I recommend you listen to your doctor. Before you talk to him, ask God to be that voice for you. And listen, with faith. Good luck!
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    In my case, the cancer is
    In my case, the cancer is IBC and triple neg, this is a very aggressive combination. So I have always felt that I need to be very aggressive right back. It also means I didn't really have choices in the treatment plan.

A reminder about chemo...it is a systemic treatment. That means it goes after any of the cancer cells that MIGHT be traveling through your body looking for a home. Radiation and surgery are targeted treatments, they will only attack/remove cancer cells in the breast area. Just something to consider in making your decision.

Yes, the side effects of chemo can be difficult and are certainly no fun. But if you do have chemo, we'll be here for you. We have years of combined experience, and the docs have options to help you manage any side effects.

Come back and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs,

Linda
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

In my case, the cancer is
    In my case, the cancer is IBC and triple neg, this is a very aggressive combination. So I have always felt that I need to be very aggressive right back. It also means I didn't really have choices in the treatment plan.

A reminder about chemo...it is a systemic treatment. That means it goes after any of the cancer cells that MIGHT be traveling through your body looking for a home. Radiation and surgery are targeted treatments, they will only attack/remove cancer cells in the breast area. Just something to consider in making your decision.

Yes, the side effects of chemo can be difficult and are certainly no fun. But if you do have chemo, we'll be here for you. We have years of combined experience, and the docs have options to help you manage any side effects.

Come back and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs,

Linda

I didn't have the option, either
    but if I did, and there was any percentage, no matter how small, that would be more favorable with chemo--I do it again in a heartbeat.

I look at it as if I'm fighting off the enemy and with tools in my arsenal. Why would I not use one of the most effective tools I have to totally crush that beast at a cellular level as well.

Is it easy--no. Is it fun--no. But it's do-able. I wish you the best of luck with your decision. It is really good that you're gathering all the info you can to make the best choice for you.

Hugs, Renee