I need help with....

yv1214
yv1214 Member Posts: 72
My mom has breast cancer which has mestases in her liver. We have tried chemo but it makes her very ill. To give you more context she has always had a very weak constitution and her stomach is very sensitive to medication. She now has shingles and has severe pain in her arm where they are located. In addition, she has alot of abdominal pain, and sometimes is short of breath. I took her to the oncologist last week, and it hasn't spread anywhere else thankfully but the pain meds aren't working. They also gave her pain killer patches but those are also too strong and give her shortness of breath. Is there anything else, home remedies that I can make to soothe her tummy so I can have her eat and maybe occasionally take a pain killer. I don't know what to do anymore. I am tired, scared and confused most of the time. Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    So sorry..
    That you and your mom are going through such a rough time...for stomach upset Ginger is known to help..fresh Ginger root can be grated, thinly and seeped in hot water and sipped...CanadaDry Ginger ale is the only one with real Ginger...also her oncologist should be prescribing strong anti nausea drugs to take before, during and after chemo, regardless if nausea is present or not...easier to prevent nausea than get it under control once it starts...something that " sticks to her ribs" so to speak, to take before her pain meds could be something like peanut butter on a bagel...this is what I was told to eat before each chemo treatment...and perhaps it would be better for her to " graze" on small meals during the day...saltine crackers, rice, anything white in nature. Also perhaps try something like Ensure, which a liquid, nutritional drink...get it at any grocery store or drug store...comes in different flavors, too. Please stay in touch with the women on this board...we are a wealth of information...not medical advice but what has worked for us during treatment and afterwards.

I wish you both the very best...Your Mom is blessed to have such a loving, caring daughter
    Peace be with you both
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Same advice here....my doc
    Same advice here....my doc prescribed anti-nausea meds that helped tremendously. In addition, lots of little meals instead of 3 big meals, for sure "stick to the ribs" kind of food, and ginger is a life saver. Another thing that worked for me was bland food (even though I loved spicy food), sometimes just eating a plain piece of bread helped. Make sure Mom drinks plenty of fluids, and gets plenty of rest. Bless your heart for being there for your Mom, my daughter never left my side as well, don't know how I could have gotten through without her. Please come back anytime, day or night, someone is always available and the knowledge/experience on this board is amazing.
    Miles of Love and Big Cyber Hugs,
    ~Kari
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member

Same advice here....my doc
    Same advice here....my doc prescribed anti-nausea meds that helped tremendously. In addition, lots of little meals instead of 3 big meals, for sure "stick to the ribs" kind of food, and ginger is a life saver. Another thing that worked for me was bland food (even though I loved spicy food), sometimes just eating a plain piece of bread helped. Make sure Mom drinks plenty of fluids, and gets plenty of rest. Bless your heart for being there for your Mom, my daughter never left my side as well, don't know how I could have gotten through without her. Please come back anytime, day or night, someone is always available and the knowledge/experience on this board is amazing.
    Miles of Love and Big Cyber Hugs,
    ~Kari

Shingles can be
    A sign of a compromised immune system. I recommend requesting a recommendation to a nutritionist who works with chemo patients. She needs good food absorption now more than ever. What a great daughter,

Roseann
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Cancer is so hard on the
    Cancer is so hard on the entire family, it's not surprising you feel tired, scared and confused most of the time. I'm sure your mother really appreciates and needs your support. But, please be sure to take care of yourself too. Come here anytime with questions, or just to vent. Most of us are survivors, but there are other daughters and caregivers here as well.

The advice you've received so far is on target. I would add potatoes to the foods to try, I liked instant mashed potatoes, and baked in the microwave, with just a little salt and pepper. But avoid all the butter, oily foods might make the stomach upset worse. Plain noodles also worked, and I really liked the stone fruits (nectarines, peaches). My oncology nurses recommended carnation instant breakfast and it worked well for me too. Try smoothies with a variety in them, they go down pretty easy, and because they're already 'chewed' they're easy to digest. From a nutrition standpoint, I was told in my chemo class to focus on proteins and calories...the body needs those to repair the damage done by chemo/surgery/rads.

Keep talking to the oncologist, there may be other options for your mom. Maybe a lower dose pain patch? or a different location? I hope all this gets better for both of you.

Hugs,

Linda
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Cancer is so hard on the
    Cancer is so hard on the entire family, it's not surprising you feel tired, scared and confused most of the time. I'm sure your mother really appreciates and needs your support. But, please be sure to take care of yourself too. Come here anytime with questions, or just to vent. Most of us are survivors, but there are other daughters and caregivers here as well.

The advice you've received so far is on target. I would add potatoes to the foods to try, I liked instant mashed potatoes, and baked in the microwave, with just a little salt and pepper. But avoid all the butter, oily foods might make the stomach upset worse. Plain noodles also worked, and I really liked the stone fruits (nectarines, peaches). My oncology nurses recommended carnation instant breakfast and it worked well for me too. Try smoothies with a variety in them, they go down pretty easy, and because they're already 'chewed' they're easy to digest. From a nutrition standpoint, I was told in my chemo class to focus on proteins and calories...the body needs those to repair the damage done by chemo/surgery/rads.

Keep talking to the oncologist, there may be other options for your mom. Maybe a lower dose pain patch? or a different location? I hope all this gets better for both of you.

Hugs,

Linda

yv1214 ..
    I am so sorry to hear about Mom. How wonderful that she has a daughter to help along the way. I am happy to see the postings from our wonderful WARRIOR - Sisters in PINK.

My only suggestion .. is to be prepared. Gather information via Library, Books, research on line ... Call Oncologist and try to make an appointment .. formulate a game plan .. ask him/her what can offer for Mom -- considering her delicate state. If insurance permitting, you may want to get a 2nd opinion.

Best of Luck ...
    Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Cancer is so hard on the

Hugs,

Linda

yv1214 ..
    I am so sorry to hear about Mom. How wonderful that she has a daughter to help along the way. I am happy to see the postings from our wonderful WARRIOR - Sisters in PINK.

My only suggestion .. is to be prepared. Gather information via Library, Books, research on line ... Call Oncologist and try to make an appointment .. formulate a game plan .. ask him/her what can offer for Mom -- considering her delicate state. If insurance permitting, you may want to get a 2nd opinion.

Best of Luck ...
    Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam