new to this

vinny59
vinny59 Member Posts: 1,036 Member
Hello guy's, I'm new to this type of cancer, I'm a two time survivor of cancer, I had head and neck cancer three years ago and I just made it into remission from non Hodgkin's Lymphoma, I've been a regular on this site for quite some time, and I know all the support and knowledge this site can bring, my question is..., my wife had her routine mammogram last week, they seen something they did not like, they had her go back and this time they did a magnification scan, and they found calcification there. Now see needs to go for further evaluation. Does not seem real, I did some research and it could mean nothing or it can be the beginning of cancer. I'm praying for the best,of course, but I'm really worried. My wife is so strong, but I would rather go through it again, then for her to have to deal with this crap!..... sorry to vent! as I said fingers crossed.... anyone gone through the same thing???? any information would help Thanks Vinny

Comments

• pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Good Morning Vinny, Sorry to
    Good Morning Vinny, Sorry to hear your wife is going through this. Here is my experience and I hope this helps. Before I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I had a few mammograms that showed a lot of dense tissue, cysts and calcification's, each time they looked further and I was clear :) So I know it's easier said than done, but try not to panic just yet and keep up the positive attitude. Breasts can be very dense and hard to read sometimes and It's a good thing they are looking closer and making sure. I'll add you and your wife to my prayers and send positive thoughts your way. You sound like a kind caring husband who has been through a lot yourself. Let us know how it turns out.
    Cyber Hugs,
    ~Kari
  • vinny59

Good Morning Vinny, Sorry to
    Good Morning Vinny, Sorry to hear your wife is going through this. Here is my experience and I hope this helps. Before I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I had a few mammograms that showed a lot of dense tissue, cysts and calcification's, each time they looked further and I was clear :) So I know it's easier said than done, but try not to panic just yet and keep up the positive attitude. Breasts can be very dense and hard to read sometimes and It's a good thing they are looking closer and making sure. I'll add you and your wife to my prayers and send positive thoughts your way. You sound like a kind caring husband who has been through a lot yourself. Let us know how it turns out.
    Cyber Hugs,
    ~Kari

thanks
    Thanks so much Kari, I know the value of keeping a positive attitude! Vinny
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Vinny.......
    Hi Vinny! My gosh, you have been through a lot, and congrats on your remission!

Yes, calcifications can mean nothing or something. And as you well know, waiting can be so difficult! But it sounds like your wife's docs are really paying attention and are going to get an answer.

Once you know if it's good news or not so good news, things can move forward. Personally, I am hoping and praying that it is good news! Time for you two to catch a break!

Hugs,
    CR
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Hello Vinny
    sorry you have to be here. I personally feel like cancer is unpredictable in so many
    ways, it is the ultimate wild card. And we are so different, someone diagnosed with
    stage 4 can go on to live for many years and someone diagnosed with stage 1 has
    barely any time left.

I had a tumor and it was growing fast, so I can't help you on your question.

I really hope and wish for you that it turns out to be nothing. What a wonderful
    and supportive man you are.

Good luck,
    Ayse
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Type of calcification and age can be factors
    Welcome, Vinny -

The way my gynecologist explained it to me was that there are macrocalcifications and microcalcifications. Macrocalcifications are common in older, postmenopausal women, and are more likely to be nothing to worry about. Microcalcifications, especially in someone who's young and premenopausal, are more likely to indicate cancer -- this, unfortunately, was the case for me.

Of course, these are only statistics -- your wife's radiologist will probably suggest a biopsy to make sure. There are several different kinds of breast biopsies, and most are fairly quick procedures done under local anesthetic as an outpatient procedure.

Vinny, please keep us posted, and know that we're all here to help you and your wife through whatever the next step may be.

Traci
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Vinny
    It just doesn't seem fair that as soon as you have good news - make that great news - for yourself, you have uncertain results regarding your lovely wife.

Twelve years ago (when I was 45) I had a biopsy for microcalcifications. It was negative. The following year, another biopsy - same breast - another neg. Then, upon routine mammo in Oct '09 more microcalcifications in the other breast. Not such good news this time, but caught early.

Wishing and hoping and praying that you will have good news,

Sue
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    sbmly53 said:

Vinny
    It just doesn't seem fair that as soon as you have good news - make that great news - for yourself, you have uncertain results regarding your lovely wife.

Twelve years ago (when I was 45) I had a biopsy for microcalcifications. It was negative. The following year, another biopsy - same breast - another neg. Then, upon routine mammo in Oct '09 more microcalcifications in the other breast. Not such good news this time, but caught early.

Wishing and hoping and praying that you will have good news,

Sue

vinny
    To both you and your wife, best wishes. Please keep us posted as we'll be praying for good test results.
    Marsha
  • ElizabethB
    ElizabethB Member Posts: 89
    aysemari said:

Hello Vinny
    sorry you have to be here. I personally feel like cancer is unpredictable in so many
    ways, it is the ultimate wild card. And we are so different, someone diagnosed with
    stage 4 can go on to live for many years and someone diagnosed with stage 1 has
    barely any time left.

I had a tumor and it was growing fast, so I can't help you on your question.

I really hope and wish for you that it turns out to be nothing. What a wonderful
    and supportive man you are.

Good luck,
    Ayse

huh!!!!!
    Ok now I am scared My mind is working over time I thought stage one was good as far as stages go I am confused...........:(
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member

huh!!!!!
    Ok now I am scared My mind is working over time I thought stage one was good as far as stages go I am confused...........:(

Oh NO!!
    The last thing I want to do is scare you. But you do hear these things.
    And I for myself just took the lesson and decided cancer is not an
    opponent that you should underestimate. So I could choose my
    treatment (weapons) carefully.

And in general stage 1 is better. So please don't let this scare you.
    That would make me feel really bad.

Love,
    Ayse
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Welcome Vinny
    and sorry to hear that you are worried about your wife's recent mammo. Let us know if we can be of any support or help in any way. The women and men here have helped me tremendously!
    Char
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Welcome Vinny
    and sorry to hear that you are worried about your wife's recent mammo. Let us know if we can be of any support or help in any way. The women and men here have helped me tremendously!
    Char

Boy, Vinny, you've had more than your share
    But--sounds like your wife's doctors are on top of things and investigating further--never a bad idea. This could be nothing, but if it isn't--you've come to the right place for support. Please keep us posted here. Once you come visit us, we circle the wagons and keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Hugs, Renee
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    CR1954 said:

Vinny.......
    Hi Vinny! My gosh, you have been through a lot, and congrats on your remission!

Yes, calcifications can mean nothing or something. And as you well know, waiting can be so difficult! But it sounds like your wife's docs are really paying attention and are going to get an answer.

Once you know if it's good news or not so good news, things can move forward. Personally, I am hoping and praying that it is good news! Time for you two to catch a break!

Hugs,
    CR

Welcome Vinny and I am so
    Welcome Vinny and I am so sorry that your wife is going thru this. Your wife's tests could show that she has bc and they could show that she doesn't.

I am going to think positive that she doesn't!

Good luck and keep us updated,

Megan
  • vinny59
    missrenee said:

But--sounds like your wife's doctors are on top of things and investigating further--never a bad idea. This could be nothing, but if it isn't--you've come to the right place for support. Please keep us posted here. Once you come visit us, we circle the wagons and keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Hugs, Renee

thanks!
    Thanks for all the wonderful and helpful comments....Vinny
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    vinny59 said:

thanks!

Welcome Vinny. As you know
    Welcome Vinny. As you know everyone here will be very helpful and supportive, Hope it's good news when you and your wife get the results. Her doctor sounds like he;s being thorough and that's good.
    God Bless,
    Wanda
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    vinny59 said:

thanks!

Sending positive thoughts
    Sending positive thoughts and prayers for your wife Vinnie!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

vinny
    To both you and your wife, best wishes. Please keep us posted as we'll be praying for good test results.
    Marsha

Sending prayers and positive
    Sending prayers and positive thoughts for your wife and for you Vinny.

Hugs, Kylez
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    vinny@
    well year prior to my BC DX I was called back for more tests..(they saw something) IT happened to be calcification from seat belt (reared very bad). The following year I was called back again & I Thought same thing...but it was not..

So dont' stress yet...it could be something like I had...I wish you good thoughts...and hope all goes well...

sorry you have gone through all you have...
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    missrenee said:

Hugs, Renee

Sending a welcome to you too
    Sending a welcome to you too Vinny! Sorry that you ever had to even come here, but, as you can see, you are surrounded now by very caring pink sisters.

Wishing you and your wife the best. Update us when you have a chance.

Hugs, Diane
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    missrenee said:

Hugs, Renee

Praying for the best for
    Praying for the best for your wife.

Hugs, Jan