Nicotine Chewing gum can rise CEA?

pepebcn
pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
Yep I have to recognize I was a heavy smoker ! but since my last PET and Scan ( one month ago ) were completely clear I decided to stop smoking! and here comes my big surprise; I start to have Nicotine chewing gum , lots , and since I m having this and quit of smoking my CEA has raised from 2.5 to 4.5 do you thing chewing is involved in this matter?
Hugs! ( had no asked to my docs if I cut have nicotine chewing,!)

Comments

• HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    I can see it doing this...
    Just from the nicotine. I think the nicotine chewing gum is just a lesser dose of nicotine than smoking, but I'm not sure.

I would definitely ask your onc and see what he said. But, yeah, I would think it would if smoking can rise your CEA.

Love to you!!
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    HollyID said:

I can see it doing this...
    Just from the nicotine. I think the nicotine chewing gum is just a lesser dose of nicotine than smoking, but I'm not sure.

I would definitely ask your onc and see what he said. But, yeah, I would think it would if smoking can rise your CEA.

Love to you!!

I'm with you Holly
    I don't know either but for sure smoking does so why would the nic gum not do the same thing

good for you pepe....hard work that quitting nicotine

mags
  • pepebcn
    maglets said:

I'm with you Holly
    I don't know either but for sure smoking does so why would the nic gum not do the same thing

good for you pepe....hard work that quitting nicotine

mags

I had as many chewing gum as cigarretes I use to smoke
    but the dosage of nicotine is much higher than in a cigarrete! at least 3 times more!, I asked to my doctor and has not idea about Chewing gums ,the know exactly how cigarretes affects to CEA but first time some body goes there talking about Chewing gum, as I didn't told anything to him about i was having it , his first reaction was to say fuc.... bast....hahahaha, nice guy!.He will investigate a little about chewing gums but he told me to quit smoking but if I can't he will prefer Marlboro than chwing gum until new order! hahaha!
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Gum probably the suspect
    I expect CEA is up due to nicotine in the gum. It is easy to over do the gum when trying to break the cig habit.

Good luck with kicking the nicotine habit...maybe you should try carrot sticks instead...lol.

Marie who loves kitties
  • pepebcn

Gum probably the suspect
    I expect CEA is up due to nicotine in the gum. It is easy to over do the gum when trying to break the cig habit.

Good luck with kicking the nicotine habit...maybe you should try carrot sticks instead...lol.

Marie who loves kitties

Does it work ? there is any empirical study about carrot sticks
    and cigarretes?Hahahahaha!
    A plesure to talk with you Marie!
    hugs!
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    I'm glad you gave up the
    I'm glad you gave up the cigarettes Pepe, good job :)

Gai
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    plh4gail said:

I'm glad you gave up the
    I'm glad you gave up the cigarettes Pepe, good job :)

Gai

See if just regular gum will work, Pepe,
    tho I started with a box of Nicorette gum and then switched to regular gum once I was determined to quit cigarettes.....this July makes 10 years tho permanent lung damage had already occurred

PS: recently read something about those doing radiation for head and necK cancer who continued to smoke reduced the effectiveness of their treatment by doing so....whether this aplies to CRC as well........(another incentive to stop)
  • pepebcn
    coloCan said:

See if just regular gum will work, Pepe,
    tho I started with a box of Nicorette gum and then switched to regular gum once I was determined to quit cigarettes.....this July makes 10 years tho permanent lung damage had already occurred

PS: recently read something about those doing radiation for head and necK cancer who continued to smoke reduced the effectiveness of their treatment by doing so....whether this aplies to CRC as well........(another incentive to stop)

Thank you Steve ,l agree the best is to quit both
    nicorette and cigarrets, i will try with regular gum today.
    Hugs.
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Pepe
    I found this:
    "The smoke from cigarettes and other tobacco products contains at least 4,000 chemicals, including formaldehyde, ammonia, carbon monoxide, nicotine, arsenic and hydrogen cyanide. At least 69 of the chemicals are carcinogens. These carcinogens have the ability to transform the epithelial cells found in the lungs and other organs into carcinomas or tumors.

There is a correlation between smoking and elevated CEA levels. Smoking reduces the ability of the immune system to produce the antibodies needed to fight off antigens in the body. The normal median range of CEA in nonsmoking adults is approximately 2.5 nanograms per millileter in women and 3.4 nanograms per millileter in men. CEA levels double in smokers, increasing to a median of 4.9 nanograms per millileter in women, and 6.2 nanograms per millileter in men. Serum CEA levels rise with each"

Read more: The Effect of Smoking on CEA Levels | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6799957_effect-smoking-cea-levels.html#ixzz1EE5cnNcX

It would seem thaqt since the gum does not contain the above mentioned chemicals that it would not have the same effect of elevating CEA. But, that is only if those chemicals are the cause of the elevation. I couldn't find anything that stated that JUST nicotine itself was responsible for the elevation. Further when studies were done of hookah smokers who smoked only tobacco with not additives their CEA levels were not different from non-smokers:

"The overall CEA levels in exclusive hookah smokers (mean: 3.58 ± 2.61 ng/ml; n = 59) were not significantly different (p ≤ 0.0937) from the levels in non-smokers (2.35 ± 0.71 ng/ml)."

AND Congratulations for quitting smoking!
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member

Gum probably the suspect

Marie who loves kitties

I tried carrot sticks
    but they wouldn't stay lit!

I quit over 20 years ago through hypnosis. Nicotine is nasty and not good in any form. I always have to chuckle at the smokers lined up in front of Sloan Kettering. They can't wait to join the club it seems.

Good luck with quitting, hypnosis was great because it took the urge away. I was surprised how easy it made it for me.
  • pepebcn
    Lori-S said:

Pepe
    I found this:
    "The smoke from cigarettes and other tobacco products contains at least 4,000 chemicals, including formaldehyde, ammonia, carbon monoxide, nicotine, arsenic and hydrogen cyanide. At least 69 of the chemicals are carcinogens. These carcinogens have the ability to transform the epithelial cells found in the lungs and other organs into carcinomas or tumors.

There is a correlation between smoking and elevated CEA levels. Smoking reduces the ability of the immune system to produce the antibodies needed to fight off antigens in the body. The normal median range of CEA in nonsmoking adults is approximately 2.5 nanograms per millileter in women and 3.4 nanograms per millileter in men. CEA levels double in smokers, increasing to a median of 4.9 nanograms per millileter in women, and 6.2 nanograms per millileter in men. Serum CEA levels rise with each"

Read more: The Effect of Smoking on CEA Levels | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6799957_effect-smoking-cea-levels.html#ixzz1EE5cnNcX

It would seem thaqt since the gum does not contain the above mentioned chemicals that it would not have the same effect of elevating CEA. But, that is only if those chemicals are the cause of the elevation. I couldn't find anything that stated that JUST nicotine itself was responsible for the elevation. Further when studies were done of hookah smokers who smoked only tobacco with not additives their CEA levels were not different from non-smokers:

"The overall CEA levels in exclusive hookah smokers (mean: 3.58 ± 2.61 ng/ml; n = 59) were not significantly different (p ≤ 0.0937) from the levels in non-smokers (2.35 ± 0.71 ng/ml)."

Thank you all for the info!.
    As you say Lori I don't know how gum nicotine can affect to CEA, not even my doc, but what I know is that I was haven 5 times more nicotine than smoking, so it shouldn't be very good , I think!.
    Hugs!
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Lori-S said:

Pepe
    I found this:

But the tobacco used in hookah pipes may not (probably doesn't)
    contain all the added chemicals used by US cigarette companies......Just a thought----either way, smoke pot instead, if you need to smoke
  • pepebcn
    coloCan said:

But the tobacco used in hookah pipes may not (probably doesn't)
    contain all the added chemicals used by US cigarette companies......Just a thought----either way, smoke pot instead, if you need to smoke

I can't Steve ! hahahaha!
    Never cut ! got seak and out of me! LOL.
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn said:

I can't Steve ! hahahaha!
    Never cut ! got seak and out of me! LOL.

By the way what's a hookah ?
    Hugs!