Interview with Robin Roberts on post-treatment anxiety & depression

TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
Wanted to let you all know that the March issue of Prevention magazine features triple-negative breast cancer survivor and Good Morning America host Robin Roberts on the cover, and an excellent interview with her in which she talks about how difficult the period AFTER she finished treatment was -- how tough it is to feel safe when you're not going for radiation every day, kicking herself for not being happy when she was "supposed" to.

This is the first time I've seen this post-treatment period discussed in the popular media, and she really tells it like it is -- like we do here. I highly recommend the article.

Traci

Comments

• joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Thank you for the info
    From the summary online, it looks like a very good article, and being a triple negative myself, I'll definitely pick up a copy of the magazine.
    I've just had my 2nd of 33 rads and I'm feeling like you stated, that I should be happy that treatment is almost over. Instead I'm feeling fragile and depressed and have been quite pissy to my hubby (who tried to coax me out of it with ice cream last night-LOL.)
    JoAnn
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Thanks!
    I didn't know she was triple negative. Wow. After treatment anxiety was really unexpected for me. It's a huge challenge that I am still processing after 2 years. I will try to find the article.

Mimi
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    mimivac said:

Thanks!
    I didn't know she was triple negative. Wow. After treatment anxiety was really unexpected for me. It's a huge challenge that I am still processing after 2 years. I will try to find the article.

Mimi

Thanks
    Traci...Will pick up the magazine...didn't know she was triple neg, like us either...I'm 22 months out of treatment...seems the further out I get apprehension rears it's ugly head...I do a pretty good job of pushing it to the back of my mind..but! I had a total meltdown in my oncologist's office one week before the end of treatment...kept asking, " what do I do now?". After months of chemo and rads I couldn't wait to be finished but scared to death for them to end...felt like I had been fighting for my life for months...it has taken me such a long to feel somewhat normal...and find joy in the things that I did before bc...don't know if this feeling of dread will ever leave...

Mim I always look for your posts as you always have valuable info on triple negative bc...
    Wishing ALL of us better days!
    Nancy
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Thanks Traci
    I'm going to have to check this out.

Love you picture, by the way. How are you doing?
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    MAJW said:

Thanks
    Traci...Will pick up the magazine...didn't know she was triple neg, like us either...I'm 22 months out of treatment...seems the further out I get apprehension rears it's ugly head...I do a pretty good job of pushing it to the back of my mind..but! I had a total meltdown in my oncologist's office one week before the end of treatment...kept asking, " what do I do now?". After months of chemo and rads I couldn't wait to be finished but scared to death for them to end...felt like I had been fighting for my life for months...it has taken me such a long to feel somewhat normal...and find joy in the things that I did before bc...don't know if this feeling of dread will ever leave...

Mim I always look for your posts as you always have valuable info on triple negative bc...
    Wishing ALL of us better days!
    Nancy

Thanks Nancy
    I think the feeling of dread will come and go for us. Like you, I have found joy again, but then something happens and I am back to questioning whether I will ever be rid of this disease and its aftermath. Congrats on being 22 months post treatment! As you know, your risk drops after a few years as a triple negative. I'm 2 years 3 months past diagnosis and 1 year 8 months past all major treatments. Not that I'm counting or anything. :)

Mimi
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    mimivac said:

Thanks Nancy
    I think the feeling of dread will come and go for us. Like you, I have found joy again, but then something happens and I am back to questioning whether I will ever be rid of this disease and its aftermath. Congrats on being 22 months post treatment! As you know, your risk drops after a few years as a triple negative. I'm 2 years 3 months past diagnosis and 1 year 8 months past all major treatments. Not that I'm counting or anything. :)

Mimi

THANKS MIM...
    See? Lol you're always giving me good info! I didn't realize that about being triple neg.....You made my evening!
    Xoxo
    Nancy
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Thanks Traci
    I'm going to have to check this out.

Love you picture, by the way. How are you doing?

Thanks Traci
    I really like

Thanks Traci
    I really like Prevention mag. but now I'll make a point of getting it this week.
    Sher
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Traci
    Thanks for the info - I had no idea she was triple negative, either. I haven't heard of too many of us TN's in the public media. Linda
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Thanks, Traci. When I broke
    Thanks, Traci. When I broke down in my psychiatrist's office,(anxiety c*m laude)(who would think that THAT would get censored! lol) she recommended that I hospitalize myself. So much for feeling safe. I got a new, improved shrink. Now at almost three years out, I still feel anxious sometimes, but mostly I feel much better.

Thanks again for sharing the information about this article.

xoxoxxo Lynn