Radiation schedule

Hi,
Had my first 6 rads on schedule. Then last Thursday and Friday the radiation machine was broken. Went yesterday and it broke again, so I missed again! Does anyone know if schedule interuptions like this are a problem? I haven't gotten any answer from the techs.
Thanks!

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Hi, Midnight
    I don't think it's a problem because many have had to take a few days off for burning--to let the skin calm down a little. They need to get their act together and fix that dang thing so you can get on with it and finish!

Good luck with your treatment.

Hugs, Renee
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    This is one of those
    This is one of those frustrating things that happens when all we can do is say, "OK" and keep looking toward a future when our treatments are complete and we are dancing with NED! If it isn't broken machines, it's a flood (that's one that happened to me--the cooling system on one of the rad machines sprang a leak and flooded the entire room) or snow making it impossible for people to get to work to do one's treatment or something else . . . *sigh*

The normal challenges of life don't go away--they keep occurring! They are more difficult to deal with when we're tired, not feeling well, and worried, that's for sure!

Hang in there!

Sandy
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Breakdowns, floods, and holidays -- oh, my!
    Hi, Midnight -

Chenheart on this board likes to say how pleasantly surprised she was to learn during rads that cancer apparently doesn't grow on weekends and holidays! Who knew? :-)

In other words, most of our rads centers aren't concerned that we miss days for weekends and holidays, when the machine breaks down, or when a pipe bursts (I had that one, too!). I did rads during November and December, and the center was closed for 4 days straight over Thanksgiving, 3 days over Christmas, etc. My radiation oncologist said it wasn't a problem, so I wouldn't let it worry you.

Traci
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I didn't have any
    I didn't have any missed/postponed rads last winter but if I didn't have a 4X4 I'd have had to postpone several. The gentleman I gave rides to this past summer for his brain rads did get a couple postponed because the machine broke down. My understanding (how Dr P explained it to me) is that rads keep 'cooking' for days after each exposure so a few days missed is not a problem. I know that they do keep 'cooking' (for some of us at least) because i had no burns during my 25 rads. Tanned and freckled but after last one was a very minor 'sunburn' but the day after last rad the burns showed up and got worse for quite a while - took 6 weeks to heal the deepest. My point in mentioning my burns is not to scare you - it's very strange to happen as it did to me - but to show not to worry about missing a few days - it's still 'doing it's thing'.

Susan
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I missed some for holidays
    but never for machine malfunction...but I was told (I think I missed 2)when I missed for holidays it was fine...

Do they only have one Radaition machine? MY treatment center had a few (I used same room each time but I did see others coming out of other rooms)

Mine was 2 1/2 yrs ago and all my tests/ mammo/ blood all been good...!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Not only does cancer
    Not only does cancer evidently not grow on weekends and holdays, which I personally find very convenient for those of us trying to have A Life (lol), rads is also rather microwave like~ cooking us from the inside while burning the outside. The residual cooking will tide you over!
    I feel confidant you will be just fine; worry not, sweet sister!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Not only does cancer
    Double post!!!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member

I missed some for holidays
    but never for machine malfunction...but I was told (I think I missed 2)when I missed for holidays it was fine...

Do they only have one Radaition machine? MY treatment center had a few (I used same room each time but I did see others coming out of other rooms)

Mine was 2 1/2 yrs ago and all my tests/ mammo/ blood all been good...!

Again just my understnding
    Again just my understnding but different machines are more designed to be used in different areas of the body. From the description of his machine from the gentleman (brain c.) I took for his treatments, his machine was a bit different than the machine I used.
  • midnight10
    midnight10 Member Posts: 74
    chenheart said:

Not only does cancer
    Double post!!!

Thanks everyone. They just
    Thanks everyone. They just called and said the machine is still broken down :-) and they are looking at adjusting my treatment schedule.