Avastin

Options
joy44
joy44 Member Posts: 50
This is our 2nd time and they are adding Avastin, what should we expect. Last chemo my husband became very dehydrated,sinse then he has been eating and drinking like crazy so that wont happen again.

On Wednesday we are meeting with a Radiation Onoclogist, did not know thier was a difference but I thought you only get radiation when you want to shrink a tumor. At this time the tumors have already been removed, can you still do radiation? What are some good questions to ask this doctor.

Sorry I haven't posted, I have been here and I always have all of you in my thoughts everyday. Love you all.
Joy

Comments

• lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    Avastin
    Hi Joy,

With some people, Avastin causes the blood pressure to rise. It did me at first & I had to go on blood pressure meds. I'm still on them and am still on Avastin, but my bp seems to be evening out now. Some people also can get nose bleeds from it. Not everyone does, so hopefully that will not be the case with your husband, but just beware of it in case it does happen. Other than that, I have never noticed any side effects from Avastin- it doesn't make you tired or really do anything too noticeable (other than hopefully kicking those cancer cells' butts!)
    You and your husband take care- you WILL get through this!

Lisa
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Joy
    I am on folfiri + avastin. The only side effect I have had from the avastin is bloody nose. I have not had any issues with BP.

With regards to radiation, I have heard in some cases it is done after surgery.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • dallastx
    dallastx Member Posts: 2
    Options
    lisa42 said:

Avastin
    Hi Joy,

With some people, Avastin causes the blood pressure to rise. It did me at first & I had to go on blood pressure meds. I'm still on them and am still on Avastin, but my bp seems to be evening out now. Some people also can get nose bleeds from it. Not everyone does, so hopefully that will not be the case with your husband, but just beware of it in case it does happen. Other than that, I have never noticed any side effects from Avastin- it doesn't make you tired or really do anything too noticeable (other than hopefully kicking those cancer cells' butts!)
    You and your husband take care- you WILL get through this!

Lisa

Avastin and blood clots
    My husband is on 5 FU for stage IV colon cancer. The Avastin caused blood clots so they took him off of it and he has to give himself shots twice a day in his stomach. Now that the clots are dissolved he will probably have the Avastin added again. He has had 8 chemos and has 4 left. He gets it every other week and takes it home via the port for 48 hours. It makes him feel like he has the flu after they take the chemo out. He is supposed to have the HIPEC surgery to the omentum a mo. after the last chemo. We are freaked out a bit about the upcoming surgery. Anyone had this yet?
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    dallastx said:

Avastin and blood clots
    My husband is on 5 FU for stage IV colon cancer. The Avastin caused blood clots so they took him off of it and he has to give himself shots twice a day in his stomach. Now that the clots are dissolved he will probably have the Avastin added again. He has had 8 chemos and has 4 left. He gets it every other week and takes it home via the port for 48 hours. It makes him feel like he has the flu after they take the chemo out. He is supposed to have the HIPEC surgery to the omentum a mo. after the last chemo. We are freaked out a bit about the upcoming surgery. Anyone had this yet?

Hi Dallas
    and welcome to the forum. So sorry that you have to be here but, since you do just know that there are a lot of caring, knowledgeable people who are here to lend you support.

Your post might get lost here so please don't get discouraged. You might want to post a new thread with your questions so others can see it better. We have members here that have had the HIPEC procedure and there are posts from before with a lot of information about HIPEC.

Try these threads. You can also send a message to those in the posts that have had the surgery. I'm sure they'd love to share their experience.

http://csn.cancer.org/node/202603
    http://csn.cancer.org/node/189616
    http://csn.cancer.org/node/197490

This is a video of the actual surgery with the doctor giving explanation as he does the surgery. Also this site is very informative: http://www.hipectreatment.com/videos/general/jesus_esquivel.php
  • mnttownsend
    mnttownsend Member Posts: 22
    Options
    avastin
    Hi Joy - I had problems with avastin, but it was bleeding at my surgery site inside me, not high blood pressure. My oncologist thought the surgeon was to blame, my surgeon thought avastin was to blame. Bottom line is as soon as I started avastin I ended up with a drain installed in my abdomen. I've decided I won't get back onto that drug - for me it's just too risky.

I've read the posts on this discussion and it seems most people have good success with the drug - so you should probably be fine.

Good luck!

Brian

ps - yes, the radiation can still be used if you've had your tumor removed. it can help to kill any spread of cancer in the area of the tumor at the microscopic level - but your oncologist knows best!
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options

avastin
    Hi Joy - I had problems with avastin, but it was bleeding at my surgery site inside me, not high blood pressure. My oncologist thought the surgeon was to blame, my surgeon thought avastin was to blame. Bottom line is as soon as I started avastin I ended up with a drain installed in my abdomen. I've decided I won't get back onto that drug - for me it's just too risky.

I've read the posts on this discussion and it seems most people have good success with the drug - so you should probably be fine.

Good luck!

Brian

ps - yes, the radiation can still be used if you've had your tumor removed. it can help to kill any spread of cancer in the area of the tumor at the microscopic level - but your oncologist knows best!

Avastin
    I have been on Avastin since 7/2009. Had a few off months for different reasons but mostly on it non-stop. I developed severe 2" long sores deep in each nasal passage from "other" chemo drugs but Avastin prevented it from healing. I would literally blow out scabs so long they had to be removed with tweezers.... LOL..how gross I know!!! I was taken off Avastin just 2 weeks ago and nose is now healing beautifully!!! It has its downsides but can usually be adjusted if it becomes a problem. Take care.

Jennie
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options

Avastin
    I have been on Avastin since 7/2009. Had a few off months for different reasons but mostly on it non-stop. I developed severe 2" long sores deep in each nasal passage from "other" chemo drugs but Avastin prevented it from healing. I would literally blow out scabs so long they had to be removed with tweezers.... LOL..how gross I know!!! I was taken off Avastin just 2 weeks ago and nose is now healing beautifully!!! It has its downsides but can usually be adjusted if it becomes a problem. Take care.

Jennie

OK...so much for the cookies I was just eating.......
    Thanks Jen, I can always count on you to be the uplifting spirit one needs to keep life from being boring......LOL...Have a great week sweetheart...Love ya, buzz
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Buzzard said:

OK...so much for the cookies I was just eating.......
    Thanks Jen, I can always count on you to be the uplifting spirit one needs to keep life from being boring......LOL...Have a great week sweetheart...Love ya, buzz

LOL Buzz!!!
    So did ya get the visual on that???? LOL..... Glad I could UPLIFT you.... LOL again!!!
    Luv ya back!!!!!

Jen