second recon (nip and tuck) - questions

mariam_11_09
mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
Hi there,

I finally made an appointment with my PS and will see him next week. I had DIEP flap on the left side only over a year ago and my PS wouldn't consider the final 'nip and tuck' surgery for at least 3 months after radiation. Well here I am 3 months out.

Anyway I am having the nipple put on the left and my right breast lifted to gain some symmetry with the left. However I am assuming that there will still be some significant different between the two, right? Anyone had this done?

Also are they able to do the lift on the right when I still have a port in my chest above the right breast? Of course, I am going to ask my PS but would love to hear other's experiences.

Roughly how long does this surgery take or rather how long did your final recon surgery take? How long for recovery?

did any of you loose weight after having this done? Did you loose weight off your breasts as well? I have been loosing weight and although it has slowed down I still hope to loose some more over the next year and am not sure how this will effect the breasts.

Any other questions in particular I need to ask my PS?

I am kind of tired of having one extremely droopy breast and one very perky nippleless breast with no bras that fit both sides properly. I was so symmetrically droopy before.

thanks
Mariam

Comments

• sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Hi Mariam!
    I had the DIEP reconstruction surgery like you did. I had mine in a different order. I had the Chemo first, then the mastectomy on the affected breast, then the radiation, then the DIEP reconstruction removing the good breast to reconstruct both. This surgery also included the removal of the port.

I did have to wait like 3-4 months before they did the final nip & tuck along with nipple reconstruction. Then the nipple tatoo 6 weeks later. The final surgery didn't last that long for me, I think it was right under 2 hours.

Yeah, definitely ask questions. I'm sure that this surgery they should fix all the areas of concern.

As far as losing weight, it's been overall. I haven't lost a whole bunch but since the chest area has fat, when I lost 10 pounds, I did lose a little but not much.

I hope all goes well Mariam...keep us posted!!

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    sea60 said:

Hi Mariam!
    I had the DIEP reconstruction surgery like you did. I had mine in a different order. I had the Chemo first, then the mastectomy on the affected breast, then the radiation, then the DIEP reconstruction removing the good breast to reconstruct both. This surgery also included the removal of the port.

I did have to wait like 3-4 months before they did the final nip & tuck along with nipple reconstruction. Then the nipple tatoo 6 weeks later. The final surgery didn't last that long for me, I think it was right under 2 hours.

Yeah, definitely ask questions. I'm sure that this surgery they should fix all the areas of concern.

As far as losing weight, it's been overall. I haven't lost a whole bunch but since the chest area has fat, when I lost 10 pounds, I did lose a little but not much.

I hope all goes well Mariam...keep us posted!!

Hugs,

Sylvia

No answers
    But I just think what you wrote is so funny -- bittersweet, yes, but "so symmetrically droopy" struck me as wonderfully human. I had a lumpectomy and every time I look in the mirror I want to laugh -- one is perky and now slightly bigger (swellling?) and the other is doing just what you'd expect a 58 year old breast to do:)

I so hope I haven't offended you. I just loved your phraseology.

xoxo
    Victoria
  • mariam_11_09
    aisling8 said:

No answers
    But I just think what you wrote is so funny -- bittersweet, yes, but "so symmetrically droopy" struck me as wonderfully human. I had a lumpectomy and every time I look in the mirror I want to laugh -- one is perky and now slightly bigger (swellling?) and the other is doing just what you'd expect a 58 year old breast to do:)

I so hope I haven't offended you. I just loved your phraseology.

xoxo
    Victoria

Thanks Sylvia for an account

Thanks Sylvia for an account of your procedures. It helps to have a little idea of what might be in store.

And Victoria you didn't offend me. I lived in Africa (South and West) most of my life and still have family there so go back often. I have seen droopy, I mean real droopy where they are like two pancakes or fried eggs hanging off some older woman's chest after breast feeding a family (except husband of course). I am comfortable with droopy, it is natural. And of course, being 44 years old perky seems a nice alternative but symmetry is my main goal.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Best of Luck!
    I am having mine done on Friday. I was told it will be about a three hours surgery, they are securing the pocket, thinning the orig. scar, and transplanting skin from my inner thigh to create the nipple. I did not lose any weight during or after any of my surgeries. I only had the implant surgery though and that on is quite diff. from what you had done. When is your surgery date?

Take Care,

RE
  • mariam_11_09
    RE said:

Best of Luck!
    I am having mine done on Friday. I was told it will be about a three hours surgery, they are securing the pocket, thinning the orig. scar, and transplanting skin from my inner thigh to create the nipple. I did not lose any weight during or after any of my surgeries. I only had the implant surgery though and that on is quite diff. from what you had done. When is your surgery date?

Take Care,

RE

hi RE, I have no idea when
    hi RE, I have no idea when my surgery date will be becuase I really don't know when to schedule it. I see the PS next week Tuesday and will figure something out there. My mother is coming down for Easter so thought maybe have it done a few days beforehand so she could help with my daughter but then I really don't want to her to be 'helping' me out again! I know she doesn't mind but I think I would like to be able to do other things with her like drive to Death Valley to see the spring flowers or Yosemite.

I wish you well for your surgery on Friday. May God bless you.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member

hi RE, I have no idea when
    hi RE, I have no idea when my surgery date will be becuase I really don't know when to schedule it. I see the PS next week Tuesday and will figure something out there. My mother is coming down for Easter so thought maybe have it done a few days beforehand so she could help with my daughter but then I really don't want to her to be 'helping' me out again! I know she doesn't mind but I think I would like to be able to do other things with her like drive to Death Valley to see the spring flowers or Yosemite.

I wish you well for your surgery on Friday. May God bless you.

:-)
    Oh the flowers in Death Valley during spring are gorgeous and Yosemite is great anytime! Here is a great link regarding Yosemite in the spring, pretty neat stuff...enjoy!

YOSEMITE FRAZZLE ICE

I wish you all the best Mariam!

RE