effexor for hot flashes

Katz77
Katz77 Member Posts: 598
I remember (yea) someone was taking effexor for hot flashes. Is it working? Dont want to take pills for another thing, but it may be worth it? Thanks, Katz

Comments

• mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    I take it
    Hi,

I take it, it does make a big difference, at least for me. I've been on it for seven years. I take lupron shots now that also give me hot flashes so they have continued it. It works for me.

Terry
  • Katz77
    Not liking it so far...
    Im nauseated, dizzy and sleepy. I cant stand to be nauseated. I dont think my flashes are that bad to be nauseated instead. Not going to take this med. Hope it works for others. Thanks for input. Katz
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    I Took It Too
    It did help with the hot flashes for me. I also felt the nausea and a little dizzy, but that went away after about a week. It also helped taking it at bedtime so I didn't feel as tired.

Many of the side effects will lesson and in many cases go away completely, but you have to give it a couple of weeks.

Best,
    Sally
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    sal314 said:

I Took It Too
    It did help with the hot flashes for me. I also felt the nausea and a little dizzy, but that went away after about a week. It also helped taking it at bedtime so I didn't feel as tired.

Many of the side effects will lesson and in many cases go away completely, but you have to give it a couple of weeks.

Best,
    Sally

I'm still on it
    After the night sweats got so bad I was awake every hour and so sleep deprived I knew I needed help. It has helped. I'm on a low dose 37.5 mg tab so I don't have any side effects. I take it in the morning with my tamoxefin. I'm also on Ambien that helps keep my asleep. My nights are now peaceful.

Sher
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    I love it!
    My hot flashes were so bad that I was waking up every hour or more! I take the low dose, 37.5, and have no side effects. I might have one or two hot flashes per week now. I take each night before bed. Good luck.
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    I love it!
    My hot flashes were so bad that I was waking up every hour or more! I take the low dose, 37.5, and have no side effects. I might have one or two hot flashes per week now. I take each night before bed. Good luck.
  • kt1127
    kt1127 Member Posts: 51
    I take effexor for hot
    I take effexor for hot flashes it helps a lot. I did have an issue when they upt the effexor but they have cut it back and I am hopeful it will help. good luck
  • kt1127
    Sher43009 said:

I'm still on it
    After the night sweats got so bad I was awake every hour and so sleep deprived I knew I needed help. It has helped. I'm on a low dose 37.5 mg tab so I don't have any side effects. I take it in the morning with my tamoxefin. I'm also on Ambien that helps keep my asleep. My nights are now peaceful.

Sher

Does the ambien help I have
    Does the ambien help I have not slept more than three hrs in the past several weeks I am so tired I cant stand it looking for some suggestions
  • kt1127
    Sher43009 said:

I'm still on it

Sher

Does the ambien help I have not slept more than three hrs in the past several weeks I am so tired I cant stand it looking for some suggestions
  • Katz77
    kt1127 said:

I take effexor for hot
    I take effexor for hot flashes it helps a lot. I did have an issue when they upt the effexor but they have cut it back and I am hopeful it will help. good luck

Thanks for input
    I know I should give it a chance. Maybe take it at bedtime. He gave me 150mg. Maybe lower dose? Sleep does allude me, so maybe this will help with that to. Hugs Katz
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Katz77 said:

Thanks for input
    I know I should give it a chance. Maybe take it at bedtime. He gave me 150mg. Maybe lower dose? Sleep does allude me, so maybe this will help with that to. Hugs Katz

Seems a Bit High
    I'm a little surprised he started you on 150mg! That seems pretty high. I'm taking 75mg. They usually start you on 37.5 mg. for about a week and then double it the next week. 75mg. is usually the "standard" dose that people stay on. Though there are those that go up to 150mg. But that's usually for people that are having major depression.

I'd definitely try a lower dose. You may well get the same benefit of lessening your hot flashes without all the bad side effect.

Good Luck,

Sally
  • Sher43009
    kt1127 said:

Yes, I sleep anywhere from
    Yes, I sleep anywhere from 6-8 hours each night. Ask your oncol. or PC about it.
  • Sher43009
    sal314 said:

Seems a Bit High
    I'm a little surprised he started you on 150mg! That seems pretty high. I'm taking 75mg. They usually start you on 37.5 mg. for about a week and then double it the next week. 75mg. is usually the "standard" dose that people stay on. Though there are those that go up to 150mg. But that's usually for people that are having major depression.

I'd definitely try a lower dose. You may well get the same benefit of lessening your hot flashes without all the bad side effect.

Good Luck,

Sally

WOW 150mg? I'm on 37.5 and
    WOW 150mg? I'm on 37.5 and it works great. I would call your oncol. about lowering the dose.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    sal314 said:

I Took It Too

Best,
    Sally

I don't have hot flashes,
    I don't have hot flashes, but, many on here have said it helps! Good luck!
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Sher43009 said:

WOW 150mg? I'm on 37.5 and
    WOW 150mg? I'm on 37.5 and it works great. I would call your oncol. about lowering the dose.

I stated the Effexor 75mg
    I stated the Effexor 75mg for my anxiety, but it did help with the hot flashes. I still get them cause I had my ovaries removed, so at 42 I am menapausal now, but they are so small that sometimes I dont even notice. I too take them at night, but I have notice Im still very tired and sleepy all day. Hope this helps.

Lupe
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    I take it too
    Although I still have hot flashes, the Effexor has reduced them to the point I can deal with them.

I started out at 37.5, but had to go up to 75 for it to be effective for me.

I would definitely discuss the dosage with your oncologist, but DON'T just stop taking it. From what I read there can be side effects from stopping this medication, and my Onco told me if I reach the point where I wanted to stop taking it, I should taper off before stopping.

Hugs,
    Cindy