A Dutch treat...

KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited February 2011 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Yesterday I was reminded of how small The Netherlands is...lol...

Saturday morning we left home early to go to a new snufflemarkt in Enschede. Not too far drive, about an hour Southeast of us. Found some great stuff...but oddly I heard many people speaking German as well as Dutch. So, I looked at a map...only 6 kilometers to the German/Dutch border! So, being good at borders as I am *smile*...we drove into Germany and bought gas (cheaper...less taxes) and stuff from the German Aldi store that isn't in the Dutch Aldi stores...

After arriving home, we changed for an evening in Amsterdam...about an hour's drive in the other direction...then got lost and drove North to almost the top of The Netherlands. So, in one day's time, we nearly touched all the borders of The Netherlands...WOW!!! And, in the process, spoke/heard 5 languages-Dutch, Flemish, English, German, and French!!!

Dutch and American expatriate hugs, Kathi

Comments

• SisterSledge
    SisterSledge Member Posts: 332 Member
    Nice treat!
    Sounds like a great day! Is a snufflemarkt something like a flea market?
    Janine
  • jararno
    jararno Member Posts: 186

Nice treat!
    Sounds like a great day! Is a snufflemarkt something like a flea market?
    Janine

Snufflemarkt?
    Thanks Janine...I was going to ask the same question! Hope that you are feeling better today!

Take Care,

Barb
  • jararno said:

Snufflemarkt?
    Thanks Janine...I was going to ask the same question! Hope that you are feeling better today!

Take Care,

Barb

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    It sounds like a wonderful
    It sounds like a wonderful adventurous day.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Oh, sorry....snufflemarkt...
    Dutch for swap meet....sigh...seems like I can't keep any language straight...lol...trying to tell someone what an apron was, because I couldn't find the English word...lol...You know, the thing you wear around your neck. It protects you while you are cooking...

American expatriate hugs, Kathi
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    lovely
    I want you to PLEASE adopt me for a month or so, just so I can travel with you. *smiles*
    I just love to read about your fascinating life!

*hugs*
    Gail