Infusion Port Removal - In Office

pattic
pattic Member Posts: 23
Just wanted to share my recent experience regarding the removal of my infusion port. Initially, when the port was inserted, I was promised it would be removed in the same fashion that it was inserted - in the operating room with me being out. A year and some months later my surgical oncologist decided he would remove the port in his office, with me being awake. I am terrified of needles, and not at all good with being awake for procedures. However, after all that I had been through in the past 14 months I decided I would allow my surgeon to take it out in office. The morning of the procedure I applied my Emril cream liberally prior leaving home. I barely felt any needle pricks, and felt nothing of the procedure! I have to admit, the entire procedure went really well. If they were handing out lollipops for good behavior I would have walked out of the doctor's office with one!

I am so happy to have the port gone, one more step to putting the treatment in the rear view. Although I am only a few months into my 5 years with Femara, I feel the worst treatment-wise is behind me.

Any way, I just wanted to offer some encouragement to anyone facing the removal of their port in the doctor's office.

Comments

• CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    So glad...
    I'm so glad that it went well and that you have taken yet another step! Admittedly, I was frightened when they told me that I would be awake for the procedure. But, it was fine and I was just happy to have it out.

I bet that you deserved TWO lollipops for good behavior!

Hugs,
    CR
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Hooray for YOU! Glad to
    Hooray for YOU! Glad to hear all went well with your deporting. I remember when mine was removed. If I could, I'd give you a lolli as well.
    BL
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Great encouragement
    My experience was much like yours. I had it removed in the Dr's office with local anesthetic, then we went out to eat and ran errands right afterward. Much easier out than in.

So...anyone who is worried about this issue, relax, it's no biggie. seof
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    In office port removal
    I also had my port removed in the surgeon's office. It had been in for about 6 months. The procedure was done with a local anesthetic only and took about 10 minutes. There was no pain at all. The only thing I could feel was a bit of a tugging sensation. I even drove myself home. This was a breeze in comparison to everything else I had gone through. All I have left of the removal procedure is a small scar.
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Hooray for you. I had my
    Hooray for you. I had my port out on the 13th of Jan. Just now getting the bills and it is going to cost me about $1100. for the procedure. I am sure yours will cost a lot less but don't think I could have done it that way. I'm a big chicken when it comes to that kind of stuff. Can't even look when they draw my blood.

Hugs

Donna
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Hooray for you. I had my
    Hooray for you. I had my port out on the 13th of Jan. Just now getting the bills and it is going to cost me about $1100. for the procedure. I am sure yours will cost a lot less but don't think I could have done it that way. I'm a big chicken when it comes to that kind of stuff. Can't even look when they draw my blood.

Hugs

Donna

I am sending a Hooray for
    I am sending a Hooray for you too!

Hugs, Megan
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Megan M said:

I am sending a Hooray for
    I am sending a Hooray for you too!

Hugs, Megan

Patti
    Patti,
    I am happy that your port removal went smoothly in the dr's office.
    In my case my body has a hard time with lanocaine or any meds that are for conscious sedation--so I had mine taken out under general anesthesia because mine was put in under conscious sedation and the meds never took. It rarely happens to people so I am one of the few that it happens to--lucky me.

Lollipops all around,
    Margo
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    I'm so glad the port removal
    I'm so glad the port removal went well for you... I've never had to deal with a port...and am extremely greatful for that... because I would be terrified of one... Thank you for sharing your experience... I'm sure others will find it very comforting!! Celebrating you "portless"....

Hugs,
    ~T