muga scan low number??

I'm on herceptin and have a Muga scan every 3mths. My last scan number dropped very low so the doctor req I stop Herceptine and have an Echo. Has anyone taking herceptine had to stop trearment because of Cardiac problems?

Comments

• CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Welcome....
    Hello and welcome. Glad you found us.

I had Herceptin and my onc ordered a Muga scan right before I started and then again a couple of months after I finished. I didn't have any problems, but I know that there is always the cardiac risk with Herceptin.

What I can tell you is that it sounds like your doc is really on top of things. Hopefully, it will turn out to be just a little bump in the road and you can proceed as planned. Please let us know what the echo shows...and I will keep my fingers crossed that it amounts to nothing.

CR
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    CR1954 said:

Welcome....
    Hello and welcome. Glad you found us.

I had Herceptin and my onc ordered a Muga scan right before I started and then again a couple of months after I finished. I didn't have any problems, but I know that there is always the cardiac risk with Herceptin.

What I can tell you is that it sounds like your doc is really on top of things. Hopefully, it will turn out to be just a little bump in the road and you can proceed as planned. Please let us know what the echo shows...and I will keep my fingers crossed that it amounts to nothing.

CR

I am
    on Herceptin and know there is a risk of it affecting the ejection fraction, that is why I have an echocardiogram every 3 - 4 months. At this point, mine has stayed just about the same. However, I've read that when there is a problem and you stop Herceptin that the heart function returns to normal very quickly. Those who are affected even resume treatment after a month or two off. Hope things work out very well for you. Wishing you the best.
    Marsha
  • henrietta6
    henrietta6 Member Posts: 11

I am
    on Herceptin and know there is a risk of it affecting the ejection fraction, that is why I have an echocardiogram every 3 - 4 months. At this point, mine has stayed just about the same. However, I've read that when there is a problem and you stop Herceptin that the heart function returns to normal very quickly. Those who are affected even resume treatment after a month or two off. Hope things work out very well for you. Wishing you the best.
    Marsha

echo
    marsha thanks for the info made me feel better I'll let you know the results of the echo and what my Dr has to say about herceptin Henrietta6
  • joyyee1
    joyyee1 Member Posts: 31
    muga scan low number
    Yes! I have been on Herceptin since last April and have had many echos to test for my EF (ejection fraction) number. My last echo showed that the EF had dropped to 42 ( from 54 last time) , so the dr. has put a hold on the Herceptin treatments for 2 months. I will have to go in once a month and have my port "flushed" though.

I"m told that the EF number will go back up when the Herceptin is stopped- but it is troubling to think that the cancer treatment is hurting my heart! I can say though that when my EF number is low- I don't feel any different. And that is troubling too!

I was supposed to have only four more treatments of Herceptin and be done in April... now it will be longer. My next echo is in March and if my EF hasn't gone back up- perhaps I'll be told to stop altogether. Time will tell...
  • henrietta6
    henrietta6 Member Posts: 11
    joyyee1 said:

muga scan low number
    Yes! I have been on Herceptin since last April and have had many echos to test for my EF (ejection fraction) number. My last echo showed that the EF had dropped to 42 ( from 54 last time) , so the dr. has put a hold on the Herceptin treatments for 2 months. I will have to go in once a month and have my port "flushed" though.

I"m told that the EF number will go back up when the Herceptin is stopped- but it is troubling to think that the cancer treatment is hurting my heart! I can say though that when my EF number is low- I don't feel any different. And that is troubling too!

I was supposed to have only four more treatments of Herceptin and be done in April... now it will be longer. My next echo is in March and if my EF hasn't gone back up- perhaps I'll be told to stop altogether. Time will tell...

muga scan low
    hi joyyee1 my muga was also 42 and I don't feel any difference from 42 to 65 like you say maybe there should be signs to make us aware the number is low. I go in 2wks for an echo I'll let you know if I continue hereptine or like you I will have to wait. Thanks for you info. Henrietta6