another CT SCAN

cavediver
cavediver Member Posts: 607
had a PETscan in November....all was clear, but some changes expected due to readiation they said. Onc has now scheduled a CT Scan Thursday to check on the irregularities in my lung. I made the mistake of not asking more questions, since once again I was daized by this....I am hoping all will be fine. Any insight on what the radiation treatments might have done to the lung? I guess this is never really over, is it?

Comments

• CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    I had...
    I had a routine chest x-ray ordered by my PCP. It came back with a "shadow" in my upper lung.

Then I was sent for CT. Radiologist said that it looked like a malignancy in my right upper lung, and given my cancer history, recommended biopsy. I was still getting Herceptin & when I went in for that, oncologist & I discussed it. He said it was unlikely, as I was still in treatment. I also took him a copy of the scan and he said it really didn't look like a "typical" cancer.
    I kept saying that the area in question was where I had rads. So, he decided to send me for PET scan & that area didn't "light up".

So, we decided to get another CT in 4 months and if it had grown, he would have it biopsied. If it was the same, or had gotten smaller, we would just watch it.

Then, I had a follow-up appt. with my rad. onco & he got a copy of the scan. He said "why didn't you ask me...it is an area damaged by the radiation, not cancer. And it happens." He told me it may go away completely or it may not.

Then I went for the second CT and it was the just a bit smaller. We are going with what the rad onco said....

So, rads CAN cause damage/scarring inside the lung and I am going to hope that is what is going on with you.

Hugs,
    CR
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    What I was told...
    My radiation oncologist told me that "forever" if I had any type of chest x-rays, even my routine mammos to ALWAYS remind them that I had radiation because it can show up as a shadow...I also remember reading before I signed, for my rads, that radiation can indeed cause scarring of the lungs...so I know, easier said than done, try not to worry...not easy I know!
    Please keep is posted.
    Peace be with you
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    MAJW said:

What I was told...
    My radiation oncologist told me that "forever" if I had any type of chest x-rays, even my routine mammos to ALWAYS remind them that I had radiation because it can show up as a shadow...I also remember reading before I signed, for my rads, that radiation can indeed cause scarring of the lungs...so I know, easier said than done, try not to worry...not easy I know!
    Please keep is posted.
    Peace be with you

That was a great explanation
    That was a great explanation you two. I've always wondered about lung damage from rads too.
    Dee
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    CR1954 said:

I had...
    I had a routine chest x-ray ordered by my PCP. It came back with a "shadow" in my upper lung.

Then I was sent for CT. Radiologist said that it looked like a malignancy in my right upper lung, and given my cancer history, recommended biopsy. I was still getting Herceptin & when I went in for that, oncologist & I discussed it. He said it was unlikely, as I was still in treatment. I also took him a copy of the scan and he said it really didn't look like a "typical" cancer.
    I kept saying that the area in question was where I had rads. So, he decided to send me for PET scan & that area didn't "light up".

So, we decided to get another CT in 4 months and if it had grown, he would have it biopsied. If it was the same, or had gotten smaller, we would just watch it.

Then, I had a follow-up appt. with my rad. onco & he got a copy of the scan. He said "why didn't you ask me...it is an area damaged by the radiation, not cancer. And it happens." He told me it may go away completely or it may not.

Then I went for the second CT and it was the just a bit smaller. We are going with what the rad onco said....

So, rads CAN cause damage/scarring inside the lung and I am going to hope that is what is going on with you.

Hugs,
    CR

I know scarring of the lungs
    I know scarring of the lungs can be a side effect of rads. But, having rads was a must for me. I didn't want to leave any stray cancer cells in.

I am praying that is what you will find out.

Hugs and prayers,

Susie
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Hoping that it is scar
    Hoping that it is scar tissue. That scar tissue can play havoc with our minds , but hope you are focusing on scar tissue and nothing else. I had a scare last August not with my lungs but with my breast, and they are pretty sure it is scar tissue. I guess it does never end, that is why it is sooo important for us to enjoy each and every day and you seem to be doing just that.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hey cavediver,
    I will keep you in my prayers dear sister. I think you are right, this is never over. Just a continuous roller coaster ride.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Hi Cavediver
    Just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Sounds like rad. damage. Please keep us posted. Hugs...Alison
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    natly15 said:

Hoping that it is scar
    Hoping that it is scar tissue. That scar tissue can play havoc with our minds , but hope you are focusing on scar tissue and nothing else. I had a scare last August not with my lungs but with my breast, and they are pretty sure it is scar tissue. I guess it does never end, that is why it is sooo important for us to enjoy each and every day and you seem to be doing just that.

Sending prayers for
    Sending prayers for you!

Hugs, Angie
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Hey cavediver,
    I will keep you in my prayers dear sister. I think you are right, this is never over. Just a continuous roller coaster ride.

xoxo,
    Jean

You know you are in my
    You know you are in my prayers! I am crossing finger and toes and anything else that I can that you will get good news.

Sue :)
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Hi Cavediver
    Just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Sounds like rad. damage. Please keep us posted. Hugs...Alison

Sending positive thoughts,
    Sending positive thoughts, prayers and hugs!

Diane
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    DianeBC said:

Sending positive thoughts,
    Sending positive thoughts, prayers and hugs!

Diane

Keeping you, Cavediver in good thoughts and
    prayers .. It just doesn't seem fair, but extremely unkind to be continually anxious or worried. Having gone thru a anxious period myself, I understand. Lack of clarity due to sleep deprivation doesn't help as well.

I had this wacky idea -- that once we 'breast cancer' Warriors finished our chemo and/or rads, and surgery .. our 'lives' === would return to normal (before any of us -- hear those words -- You have breast cancer! What happened to our 'happy ever after', lives?

I am grateful for our site, which during these trials, keep me sane and grounded.

Strength and Courage.

Vicki Sam
  • bluwillo
    bluwillo Member Posts: 113
    VickiSam said:

Keeping you, Cavediver in good thoughts and
    prayers .. It just doesn't seem fair, but extremely unkind to be continually anxious or worried. Having gone thru a anxious period myself, I understand. Lack of clarity due to sleep deprivation doesn't help as well.

I had this wacky idea -- that once we 'breast cancer' Warriors finished our chemo and/or rads, and surgery .. our 'lives' === would return to normal (before any of us -- hear those words -- You have breast cancer! What happened to our 'happy ever after', lives?

I am grateful for our site, which during these trials, keep me sane and grounded.

Strength and Courage.

Vicki Sam

Here's what keeps me going...
    Knowing that I fought the beast and won, and most importantly, knowing that I will never EVA be that scared again. I lost so much time and fun while dealing with the fear. The fear was worse than the mast and chemo and rads. It was the only thing I couldn't control. Yep, I even taught myself not to hurl after chemo!!

So now I just figure what's the worst that could happen? I'll get cancer? HA! Been there, done that.

2 months after finishing rads, I started my "second career" in a very stressful position. I was exhausted, but determined to make the job the focus of my life, not the stupid cancer. It worked. I know avoidance if probably not a good idea, but for me, as long as I'm distracted with something else, I'm good.

And, I learned all about a "new normal". I learned to say "no" when I'm tired, I learned to let hubby take some stressors over, I learned to take care of me...mostly. Now I just have to remember that we're back to the "it's not all about me" days around here! My "happily ever after" is every day I wake up and have a normal, crazy, tiring day. I'm thrilled to be exhausted by work and family, and not by that stupid cancer. D'ya get that I hate cancer? LOL!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    bluwillo said:

Knowing that I fought the beast and won, and most importantly, knowing that I will never EVA be that scared again. I lost so much time and fun while dealing with the fear. The fear was worse than the mast and chemo and rads. It was the only thing I couldn't control. Yep, I even taught myself not to hurl after chemo!!

So now I just figure what's the worst that could happen? I'll get cancer? HA! Been there, done that.

2 months after finishing rads, I started my "second career" in a very stressful position. I was exhausted, but determined to make the job the focus of my life, not the stupid cancer. It worked. I know avoidance if probably not a good idea, but for me, as long as I'm distracted with something else, I'm good.

And, I learned all about a "new normal". I learned to say "no" when I'm tired, I learned to let hubby take some stressors over, I learned to take care of me...mostly. Now I just have to remember that we're back to the "it's not all about me" days around here! My "happily ever after" is every day I wake up and have a normal, crazy, tiring day. I'm thrilled to be exhausted by work and family, and not by that stupid cancer. D'ya get that I hate cancer? LOL!

its hard when you are
    its hard when you are blindsided to ask questions almost paralyzed with fear. The doc is ordering the test as a follow up. You still can have him/her call you. tell them you need some clarification. praying all is well. and I have been dealing with this 1994, and no it is never totally over, but hopefully we will be dealing with our new normal for quite some time.
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    carkris said:

its hard when you are
    its hard when you are blindsided to ask questions almost paralyzed with fear. The doc is ordering the test as a follow up. You still can have him/her call you. tell them you need some clarification. praying all is well. and I have been dealing with this 1994, and no it is never totally over, but hopefully we will be dealing with our new normal for quite some time.

You are in my prayers
    Please know that I'm praying for you and good results. Stay strong and keep us posted.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I had PET scan
    last August and it showed a nodule in the bottom of each lung. I will be having a CT scan in March. I'm hoping the nodules are nothing to worry about though. Sending you positive thoughts.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • SylviaD
    SylviaD Member Posts: 17
    bluwillo said:

I didn't let it get me
    I agree. I also fought stage 4 breast cancer. It was the longest year of my life. I didn't let chemo make me sick or loose any weight. I would eat even when I was not hungry. Everyone now is telling me to take it easy. I had a pet ct on 1/28/11 and it came out clean. I did not wait. I went back to work to a hectic law firm. Working all day and coming home to my husband and kids to do my "mommy" duties is what keeps me going. I too learned to say "No" when I am tired and I learned to take care of me, not just everyone else. That is what gave me the will to win the fight. I know that I will fight everyday of my life so that cancer will not come back into my life. But I truly believe that I HAD cancer, and cancer did not have me. Together we "survivors" can beat this horrible disease.
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    moved up to Weds
    just got back from mamo on only girl left. They have moved up my CT Scan for chest to tomorrow (Weds)........ thanks for the comments, and I am hoping it is just scar tissue in the lung caused by the radiation! Hope to get results before I leave for Mexico next week.
    Hugs to all
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    (((((((hugs)))) Nothing to
    (((((((hugs)))) Nothing to add or offer you except hugs for a positive outcome!
    Well, make that a negative outcome~ but you know what I meant, right???

Chen♥
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    cavediver said:

moved up to Weds
    just got back from mamo on only girl left. They have moved up my CT Scan for chest to tomorrow (Weds)........ thanks for the comments, and I am hoping it is just scar tissue in the lung caused by the radiation! Hope to get results before I leave for Mexico next week.
    Hugs to all

Cavediver
    I have my first CT Scan tomorrow also for my chest I'm getting ready to start radiation not sure when i guess they'll tell me tomorrow good luck to you and me. MOLLYZ
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    chenheart said:

(((((((hugs)))) Nothing to
    (((((((hugs)))) Nothing to add or offer you except hugs for a positive outcome!
    Well, make that a negative outcome~ but you know what I meant, right???

Chen♥

This sounds a bit odd probably
    but, I am hoping and praying it is scar tissue in your lungs too. And, it probably is.

So, you will be able to still go on that wonderful vacation to Mexico! And, we can all sit here and drool over your beautiful pictures that you will send back! lol

Seriously, the best of luck tomorrow. I'll be watching for an update!

Sue :)