Mom's 1st radiation and no nipples for me yet

Heatherbelle
Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
Good morning! We're having a heatwave here in Indiana - it's a whopping 17 degrees outside -yesterday at this time it was -3 so this is quite an improvement.
I wanted to share, yesterday my mom had her 1st radiation treatment. I'm happy to report that it went really well. She really likes the rads people at our cancer center (i've never met ANYone in that dept because I didn't have rads), they're gentle with her (she has arthritis & a degenerative spine disease -spond-i-something or another that I can't even pronounce, let alone spell). She was pretty scared of rads, up until this point I had lots of advice & answers for her. We're all glad that she's nearing the end of her treatment, and chemo was SO hard on her, poor mom seemed to get EVERY possible side effect. I'm hoping radiation will be a bit easier on her.
As for me, I was supposed to have my rescheduled nipple construction today. Instead I'm just having a regular consultation appt with my PS. My left breast still has an area of hard, thick scar tissue, and it's causing that breast to have a flat spot on it. I've been massaging it & it hasn't made any difference, so I don't know if he will have to go in and do some sort of scar revision or what, but I don't want to get my nipples done and then end up having to have more breast surgery & ruin my new nipples! So, today we're just going to find out what we can do to fix this flat area. Other than that, my implants are looking GREAT! They are much softer now (exchange surgery was in Nov.), and are developing a natural looking "fold" underneath them.
***Jean and Michele - you are both in my thoughts & prayers as you await tests & results my friends ***
*hugs*
Heather

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    I'll be thinking of you Heather
    I got good news this morning, and here's hoping you do too!

Glad your Mom's rads went well and continue to go well for her. Give her a big hug from me.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Heather:
    I"ll be thinking of both of you and sending warm , good thoughts your way...keep us updated
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Heather:
    I"ll be thinking of both of you and sending warm , good thoughts your way...keep us updated

I am happy to hear that Mom is progressing well
    with her rad portion of treatment, poor women --. Keeping her in good thoughts and prayers.

Nipples, Nipples .. where are thou? LOL .. keeping tabs on you and your nipples, I have not ruled them out, yet. Allowing my body, and soul to heal a bit, before moving forward. Yes, I would be freakin out (and I did), when my 2 breast did not mirror each other. Good luck, let me know what PS states.

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    VickiSam said:

I am happy to hear that Mom is progressing well
    with her rad portion of treatment, poor women --. Keeping her in good thoughts and prayers.

Nipples, Nipples .. where are thou? LOL .. keeping tabs on you and your nipples, I have not ruled them out, yet. Allowing my body, and soul to heal a bit, before moving forward. Yes, I would be freakin out (and I did), when my 2 breast did not mirror each other. Good luck, let me know what PS states.

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam

I had the same thing happen
    I had the same thing happen with flatness from scar tissue, but I already had my nips...The surgeon went back in and replaced the implant that had flattened out and now it looks much better. So , I'm sure you will have a good result. I still havn't had mine tatooed yet...all in good time.
    Dee
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Heather:

Glad your Mom is getting
    Glad your Mom is getting close to the finish line! And, good luck to you with your surgeon's visit.

Jan
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    :)
    I told my PS my concerns

I told my PS my concerns about the flat area. The scar tissue will go down some more as long as I keep massaging it. But the flat area is what he called my "mastectomy flap" - how the breast surgeon cut me when I had my initial surgery. His solution? I'm having fat sucked out of my abdomen and put into my boobs! I'm having fat grafting done!! It's not like lipo, though, I'll just have a local anesthesia, done in the procedure room at my PS office, just taking big syringes full of fat out of my belly and putting them in my boobs. So the flatness will be fixed, plus they'll be plumped out & give me more projection like I initially wanted. I don't have a date yet -and I'm not 100% sure that my insurance will cover it, although if they don't we're going to look at financing options. The scheduler is going to call me today or Monday but it will be within the next 2 weeks. Have to let them heal up after the grafts for about a month, then I'll get my nipples done.
    Thank you all for chiming in with your experiences and good wishes :) i love you all!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668

I told my PS my concerns

I told my PS my concerns about the flat area. The scar tissue will go down some more as long as I keep massaging it. But the flat area is what he called my "mastectomy flap" - how the breast surgeon cut me when I had my initial surgery. His solution? I'm having fat sucked out of my abdomen and put into my boobs! I'm having fat grafting done!! It's not like lipo, though, I'll just have a local anesthesia, done in the procedure room at my PS office, just taking big syringes full of fat out of my belly and putting them in my boobs. So the flatness will be fixed, plus they'll be plumped out & give me more projection like I initially wanted. I don't have a date yet -and I'm not 100% sure that my insurance will cover it, although if they don't we're going to look at financing options. The scheduler is going to call me today or Monday but it will be within the next 2 weeks. Have to let them heal up after the grafts for about a month, then I'll get my nipples done.
    Thank you all for chiming in with your experiences and good wishes :) i love you all!
    *hugs*
    Heather

So glad your Mom is doing well
    I'm so glad your Mom is doing well and likes the rads people :) Keep massaging your scar and I will keep praying that everything turns out great for you.

Hugs,

Dawne
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

So glad your Mom is doing well
    I'm so glad your Mom is doing well and likes the rads people :) Keep massaging your scar and I will keep praying that everything turns out great for you.

Hugs,

Dawne

Good news about your Mother.
    Good news about your Mother. Wishing you good luck with your surgery.

Hugs, Debby
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    So glad to hear it went well
    So glad to hear it went well with your mom. Also think you are right in waiting to get the new nipples till you boob is in its best condition. Glad to hear over all things are good.

Take care

Lupe
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Pinkpower said:

So glad to hear it went well
    So glad to hear it went well with your mom. Also think you are right in waiting to get the new nipples till you boob is in its best condition. Glad to hear over all things are good.

Take care

Lupe

I'm really glad
    I'm so glad to hear that you and your mom are doing well.I go Wednesday to get a ct scan before i start rads. Good Luck with the nipples. MOLLYZ
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Heatherbelle, I hope
    your PS will be able to make the needed correction. It'a bit odd not to have
    nipples isn't it.. hihi. I am glad you are owning your new breast and getting
    the best ones possible.

I hope rads will be easier on your poor Mom, so sorry that she had a hard
    time with chemo.

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Heather
    tell your mom that rads goes fairly fast. My last one is tomorrow. I didn't burn until last Thursday and did peel a bit. I continue to slather on the cream for radiation. It has helped a lot!

Sorry you are still have some issues with reconstruction but hopefully all will turn out all right.

Love the new picture with your daughter. I still need to upload a new one.
    {{hugs}} Char