chemo delayed so I followed Pitt's lead

Findingout
Findingout Member Posts: 132
I read Pitt's article the day after I was SUPPOSED to start chemo. It got delayed; they're doing an oncotype now because of my strange and mysterious tumor. I got so inspired by her article, I swam today - YEP! I, who have been whining to myself for 4 1/2 weeks since my mastectomy, actually went in the pool at the gym and made my way up and back 24 laps.
A small miracle!

First I went to the local store but didn't yet have my ins. authorization for a prosthesis. I told the lady about the swimming thing, and she was so moved, she loaned me one up front so I could swim TODAY. (we both cried) Then I came home and squeezed into my swim suit from a decade ago, stuffed the little friend inside, drove to the gym, and after some hesitation and trepidation, jumped in!!
Okay, I went slowly, I didn't look that great, what with my right arm looking more like a penguin flapping, but it was just beyond words.

Just to note, I had two sentinel nodes removed, so I don't know how that compares to more node removal, but I was careful not to move in any way that felt injurious. I just kicked sometimes, to give it a rest. Then I came home and a big box with pink wrapping was waiting on my porch, an unbelievably soft pink robe... a gift from an angel, for sure, for my first Defiant Act towards Cancer Shmancer. (words of Fran the Nanny)

Much love,
Lin

Comments

• Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Wow
    24 laps! That's great. I'm just waiting for it to warm up so I can get in some walking. Swimming is such good exercise. How long before you do start chemo? Keep up the good work.
    Best wishes. Marsha
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    What an inspiration!
    It sure sounds like you had a very special day all the way around.

I have a pool at home, but it's not heated at this time of year. I will make it a point to get out there and do some laps as soon as the weather lets us heat it up without it costing a small fortune.

Thanks so much for sharing your inspiring story. Enjoy snuggling in your robe.

Hugs,
    Cindy
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Good Job!
    I think being in the water is great. I cannot swim well but I do go to water aerobics twice a week. It really helps me a lot both physically and mentally. Thanks for sharing your good day.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • Findingout

What an inspiration!
    It sure sounds like you had a very special day all the way around.

I have a pool at home, but it's not heated at this time of year. I will make it a point to get out there and do some laps as soon as the weather lets us heat it up without it costing a small fortune.

Thanks so much for sharing your inspiring story. Enjoy snuggling in your robe.

Hugs,
    Cindy

THANK YOU ALL
    Thanks so much for helping me celebrate. The swim put me in a different mindset.
    And Cindy, it's heated and indoor!
    BTW, today I can barely move. I'm just trying to stay up til an acceptable bedtime hour...
    :-)
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    ladyg said:

Good Job!
    I think being in the water is great. I cannot swim well but I do go to water aerobics twice a week. It really helps me a lot both physically and mentally. Thanks for sharing your good day.

Hugs,
    Georgia

Weight bearing exercises
    Swimming and water aerobics are wonderful, but don't forget weight bearing exercises, which "they" say are very important for prevention of osteoporosis. If you're postmenopausal and on an estrogen-suppressing drug, you're more at risk. My oncologist told me that if it was a choice between water aerobics or walking to walk - at least 5 times a week for 30 minutes.

Suzanne
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Aaaawwwh Lin
    you actually made me cry! This is one of the best examples on how
    we effect each other's lives. I am so happy for you and I hope you keep
    swimming even with your borrowed ta-tas. What a great story!!

You GO GIRL!!

Love,
    Ayse
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    I am so happy for you. YoU
    I am so happy for you. YoU are going to help so many other people by getting out there and living! The arm will get better. The more you use it, the less tight it will feel but it takes time. As for the sleep, isn't that awesome?! I love the sleep after a good swim. If you are interested, I can send you some of my coaches workouts that I used in the beginning. You have made my day. Your story about getting the prothesis was beautiful. You are my hero and the lady at that store as well. Fantastic!
  • Findingout
    pitt said:

I am so happy for you. YoU
    I am so happy for you. YoU are going to help so many other people by getting out there and living! The arm will get better. The more you use it, the less tight it will feel but it takes time. As for the sleep, isn't that awesome?! I love the sleep after a good swim. If you are interested, I can send you some of my coaches workouts that I used in the beginning. You have made my day. Your story about getting the prothesis was beautiful. You are my hero and the lady at that store as well. Fantastic!

Wow...
    How great to come online and see people writing back. Marsha I still don't know when chemo will start, so - thanks to Pitt, I have my LIFE BACK in the mean time, in ways previously unimagined!!

Pitt, your article just set me on fire. I knew right away I was going to do it! I'm not sure how advanced your coach's workouts are...? But maybe that would be good, getting professional input! Maybe I can figure out how to send a private message to you on here.

Today there were no open lanes and the smaller therapy pool was empty. I did my laps there and it felt more therapeutic (thus the name I guess, right?) on my arm, which loosens up a LOT with the strokes. It makes it feel quite different overall. I cannot say enough about this whole thing. My cancer-free friends all want to start working out now. THANK YOU PITT AND ALL OF YOU for your support! I'm going to keep it up as long as possible which hopefully will be always...